smoking ban and the effect on poolhalls??

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
last nite i played at hilltop billiards
haven't been there in a few months
they made it non-smoking sometime since then
i couldn't believe that at 8:30 on a saturday nite, i was one of three people in the entire place
before last nite, everytime i've been there the place is packed on fridays & saturdays
i was thinking, well, maybe it's early???
at 10:00 , there were maybe 8 more people at best
by midnite when i left , it was up to 12 or 15 people
right or wrong, not gonna argue about it, but it is definitely killing thier business
bartender told me last week they did $32 from sunday to thursday
geezzzzzzzzzzz, he can't stay open much longer with those numbers

hoosier_cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i assume this is because of the new law in Ohio? The bowling alley people in Ohio are saying it is killing them also.

badbanks

Registered
Yea, Unfortunately the non smokers, as a whole, don't care about the business owner. One proposal that I've made several times in our area is that they should leave it up to the business owner. The owner should have to specify whether they are a smoking establishment or not. Then let some of the non smokers open up non smoking establishments. I personally believe that there would be plenty of business in our area for more than one non smoking bar.

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
hoosier_cues said:
i assume this is because of the new law in Ohio? The bowling alley people in Ohio are saying it is killing them also.
yes , it is. but two other places i shoot at are still smoking, michaels & snookers. michaels seems to be more crowded. mostly a younger crowd

hoosier_cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BHQ said:
yes , it is. but two other places i shoot at are still smoking, michaels & snookers. michaels seems to be more crowded. mostly a younger crowd
Well it seems to me the business owner should be able to decide. If the owner wants to cater to nonsmokers good for him. If he wants to allow smokers then the nonsmokers have a choice to make.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Columbia, MO recently passed a smoking ban and I was in a pool hall there about a month ago. The place was packed, I had to turn sideways to squeeze through the crowd. The smoking ban hasn't hurt them, perhaps because they also serve food.

ScottW

Fo' shizzle!
Silver Member
BHQ said:

Well, there you go. It's a ban on one area but not on another. If the smokers have another choice that is close by, naturally they're going to migrate. And THAT'S why no business owner in his right mind would ever ban smoking in his establishment by choice.

If the ban in question was a larger area, where all venues were affected - people would still likely go to their old haunts.

It's coming up on a year since Colorado enacted its state-wide smoking ban - and I see plenty of folks in the pool halls that used to be hazy with smoke, but now are clear.

Edit: You state "smoking BAN" in the title but in your post, you say "they made it non-smoking sometime since then". Is there a ban or not? Did the owner go non-smoking by choice? You also state there's two nearby places that still allow smoking.

Last edited:

steveharn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Smoking

Smoking is one of the major causes of pool's demise. Kids don't think so they would not hesitate to go into a smoke filled pool room, Ah, but parents do think and that's why parents they keep their kids out of there. Anyone who thinks would not go into a smoke filled pool room, so you can surmise, there's a lot of thinkers out there.

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
ScottW said:
Well, there you go. It's a ban on one area but not on another. If the smokers have another choice that is close by, naturally they're going to migrate. And THAT'S why no business owner in his right mind would ever ban smoking in his establishment by choice.

If the ban in question was a larger area, where all venues were affected - people would still likely go to their old haunts.

It's coming up on a year since Colorado enacted its state-wide smoking ban - and I see plenty of folks in the pool halls that used to be hazy with smoke, but now are clear.

Edit: You state "smoking BAN" in the title but in your post, you say "they made it non-smoking sometime since then". Is there a ban or not? Did the owner go non-smoking by choice? You also state there's two nearby places that still allow smoking.
that i am unsure of. they passed a law, then waivered on it until july. i've just heard bits and pieces from people. it had something to do with the enforcement issues. all the chain restraunts, applebees , fridays, etc. have went non-smoking back in january when it passed. it's difficult to get a straight answer from someone about it. even the places that still allow smoking do have the 1 800 number signs plastered everywhere. so, who the hell knows?? i'll keep smoking until someone says i can't

Last edited:

matcase

Blondie's #1 fan
Silver Member
The smoking bans have made it so I enjoy staying longer when I go to the pool hall. Hopefully the nonsmoking players will start to frequent the places where they wouldn't go before, and businesses like the one mentioned will still be able to prosper.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Comments

You would be surprised if those NON-SMOKERS own a room, and it was going under, how quick they would change their tune.

And every new kid I see coming into the Pool room was smoking long before they got there.

drawls13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you ask me, one of the biggest challenges that pool will be facing in this country before long will be NO POOL ROOMS!! I can tell you for sure that you can't make it on $32 a day, much less $32 per week.

What's next, manditory green tea in all businesses?? It's good for you!!

DRawls

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same thing happened with the famed Tulsa Billiard Palace. Its moving locations very soon and will likely be able to have smoking at the new location. As long as the new place can have a large enough percentage of alcohol revenue its allowed to be smoking is how it was explained to me.

Last edited:

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
this battle will go on forever
i just wish there were both, smoking & non-smoking poolhalls bars, bowling alleys, whatever
then EVERYONE would be happy and play more pool instead of *****ing and moaning about what the other is doing
i smoke, have for a long time, but i do not mind one bit to go to a non-smoking restraunt
i can always go outside for a puff
but, please don't take away the bars & poolhalls
let the owners decide, not the government
ok, i opened the can of worms
didn't want to do that, because it's already been hashed over & over in previous threads
i just wanted to point out what i (me personally) feel it's doing the small businessman
$2.65 gas isn't helping matters either

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
It doesn't sound like a statewide ban if they can move down the road and allow smoking again. Of course a citywide ban is going to have a negative effect on business if someone can just drive down the street to another location and smoke. The pool rooms in California seem to be doing just fine and the entire state has been non-smoking for years. Now, before anyone starts talking about some particular pool room in California that went out of business, let me say that there will be failed business ventures in any industry. Some pool rooms will make it and some will fail and that is a fact regardless of smoking.

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the answer

How about we let the business owner run his own business. Get the government out of our lives. If the business is smoker friendly and you don't smoke don't go, if it's not friendly and you do smoke don't go the market will settle itself out where it needs to be. A business owner has certain rights in this country as to how he wants to run his business and you as the consumer have rights as to where you spend your money. Today it's smoking, goose liver and trans fat tomorrow what will it be "a law stating we should all be vegetarians and jog 3 miles a day"? I'm a grown man let me decide my own life no one lives forever and I intend to enjoy the time I have. Jerry

cardsfan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
spktur said:
A business owner has certain rights in this country as to how he wants to run his business and you as the consumer have rights as to where you spend your money. Today it's smoking, goose liver and trans fat tomorrow what will it be "a law stating we should all be vegetarians and jog 3 miles a day"? I'm a grown man let me decide my own life no one lives forever and I intend to enjoy the time I have. Jerry
Exactly!!
The bottom line is people's rights are being taken away. Be careful people, it's a slipery slope. When the govt' starts telling you what you can and cannot do, you are no longer free! I'm not saying the sky is falling, but it looks a lot lower. BTW, I live in Louisville and our ban starts July 1.

Mike

MrLucky

Pool Fanatic!!
Silver Member
Here the only difference is ...

Its a lot healthier when you play and my cleaning bills are lower!:)

Russ Chewning

Short Bus Russ - C player
Silver Member
cardsfan said:
Exactly!!
The bottom line is people's rights are being taken away. Be careful people, it's a slipery slope. When the govt' starts telling you what you can and cannot do, you are no longer free! I'm not saying the sky is falling, but it looks a lot lower. BTW, I live in Louisville and our ban starts July 1.

Mike

One simple question though.. Who is looking out for the rights of non smokers?

And don't give me that crap about how the government is infringing on the rights of smokers. No one is telling you you can't smoke. They are just telling you that you will not be allowed to smell up businesses that non-smokers may frequent. You are perfectly free to go outside and smoke.

Tell me.. Why is it that a lot of smokers believe other people should have to adjust to their filthy habit?

The point is, statewide smoking bans are good for business. No smoker is going to quit going to pool halls, bars, etc because they can't smoke inside the business. But, non-smokers will.

No one feels sorry for you. It's your habit. The government has every right to ensure that you do not pollute everyone else's breathing space in a business.

Russ

Russ Chewning

Short Bus Russ - C player
Silver Member
spktur said:
If the business is smoker friendly and you don't smoke don't go, if it's not friendly and you do smoke don't go the market will settle itself out where it needs to be.

And if you are a poolplayer, and there is only one poolhall in town? And the owner happens to be a smoker? What then? But that's okay, right? Because the ability to stay inside and smoke versus stepping 50 feet out into the parking lot is too inconvenient to be bothered to think about nonsmokers.

A business owner has certain rights in this country as to how he wants to run his business and you as the consumer have rights as to where you spend your money. Today it's smoking, goose liver and trans fat tomorrow what will it be "a law stating we should all be vegetarians and jog 3 miles a day"? I'm a grown man let me decide my own life no one lives forever and I intend to enjoy the time I have. Jerry

Blah blah blah, reh reh.

Here's the point. If the government steps in and puts ALL businesses on equal ground, then that benefits ALL consumers, non-smoking and smoking. They are then free to choose businesses based on things such as customer service quality, ambience, food quality, etc.

As it is, there may be 3 places to play pool within 5 miles of a non-smoker's house. They may all be smoking optional. Now, the non-smoker may have to travel an additional 5 to 10 miles to find a place to play.

All because you think the government asking you to step outside and smoke is somehow a violation of your "right".

You know your self absorption does not surprise me. Many studies have been done that show smokers are less likely to bus their own trays at McDonald's, less likely to hold the door open for someone, less likely to let a car in in heavy traffic.

Is it the smoking that makes a lot of people totally discount the feelings of their fellow man, or is it that antisocial people are drawn to smoking?

Hmm.. food for thought.

Last edited: