Question ....

skankhammer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there shots that a regular maple shaft can make, that are difficult for a low deflection shaft to make? Besides jumps and masse shots?

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
There certainly are. Most of the cues hanging on the wall at my local pool hall are so warped, they'll shoot around corners. And, they're made out of maple. :)

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ram shots?

Really ?
Try using a ld one piece maple shaft mezz hybrid pro 2, you 'll be suprise how you're ramming shots in at a million miles per hour with high accuracy .
another ld shaft but is laminated is Adam's musashi range bamboo or accs pro shaft .

Just my 2 cents

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Yes, straight in follow deflection shots .
With an LD shaft, you are liable to scratch.
With regular shafts. the cue ball will squirt away from the ball, go forward and miss the pocket.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Yes, straight in follow deflection shots .
With an LD shaft, you are liable to scratch.
With regular shafts. the cue ball will squirt away from the ball, go forward and miss the pocket.
This doesn't make sense. The CB "squirts away from" the shaft, not from the OB. It has to hit the OB on the same spot (going along the same CB/OB line) either way - you change your cue angle to ensure that.

If you mean the CB "caroms away from" the OB differently, that's also incorrect. Since the CB must follow the same path to hit the OB on the same spot, it will also carom away from the OB the same way.

pj
chgo

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Is there shots that a regular maple shaft can make, that are difficult for a low deflection shaft to make? Besides jumps and masse shots?

I disagree about masse shots. Who says ld shafts can't make masse shots? Maybe you shouldn't hit the "Big Kahuna" type masses, but all commonly occuring masses are just as easy with an ld shaft. I shoot more masses than most with my Predator Z2 (one of the more brittle ld shafts) and I've never had a problem with breaking the shaft or being bad at them. If you know what you are doing there is no way a normal masse should harm any shaft.

Other than that, I don't know. There are a very few shots where you can "play the deflection" of a maple shaft (I E the deflection and swerve of a normal maple shaft cancel eachother out, thus letting you shoot straight ahead), but you don't need to shoot them that way and this kind of thing happens more often with an ld-shaft in the normal speed and distance range commonly played. An ld shaft will draw equally well, stun equally well, but shots where you are stuck to the rail may be one of the weak spots. I don't personally have a problem with those, but a lot of people are complaining about the tip part being to light and deflecting upward..I think it's bs.

Other than a "Big Kahuna" type masse, I'd like to see the shot that can't be replicated with an ld shaft. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYAOI5zI3V4

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Shots requiring high deflection are more difficult with a low deflection shaft.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe this question has come up numerous times over the years. The one example that usually is given is the straight-in shot where the CB and OB are close together and where you need to draw the CB straight back with side spin. With the LD shaft you are more likely to double hit the CB on the follow through, whereas with the maple shaft the squirt compensation allows the shaft to get out of the way.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The one example that usually is given is the straight-in shot where the CB and OB are close together and where you need to draw the CB straight back with side spin. With the LD shaft you are more likely to double hit the CB on the follow through, whereas with the maple shaft the squirt compensation allows the shaft to get out of the way.
Although the need for that is rare, at least it makes sense.

I think masse shots, which don't make sense, are mentioned at least as often.

pj
chgo