8 ball rule question

PETROBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the ruling if in a game of 8 ball player A breaks and makes the 8 ball but both players don't notice and he continues to shoot with the 8 ball in the pocket? Does it matter if player B has a turn shooting? Then it is found out that the 8 ball is in a pocket before all the balls are down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
What is the ruling if in a game of 8 ball player A breaks and makes the 8 ball but both players don't notice and he continues to shoot with the 8 ball in the pocket? Does it matter if player B has a turn shooting? Then it is found out that the 8 ball is in a pocket before all the balls are down.

If you play that the 8 on the break is a win, then the game was over as soon as the 8 fell. If you play that it is a re-rack when you break the 8, then you re-rack. Shooting after it fell does not change the rules.

PETROBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you play that the 8 on the break is a win, then the game was over as soon as the 8 fell. If you play that it is a re-rack when you break the 8, then you re-rack. Shooting after it fell does not change the rules.

Wpa rules allow for the 8 to be spotted and keep shooting, Its not a win in those rules,

oldplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if neither player "A" or player "B" notices that the 8 ball is missing from the table after the break, there are a number of issues that we should address here......;)

PETROBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It happens sometimes I seen it at an in house league last week they re racked the game and started over. You maybe surprised what can be overlooked when players are drinking lol

If you don't notice it going in on the break then how would you know if it wasn't knocked in by either player on their subsequent shots, without noticing?

Point being, it would be loss of game if you made it out of turn after the break. If player B has not shot though you could not say if you made it on break or subsequently.

If I was gambling and this situation occurred the game would have to replayed.

ONB

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
If you shoot without spotting the 8, game would need to be replayed. I agree with ONB.

PETROBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would think a re rack would be right and true you couldn't be sure when the 8 ball went down so it would be hard to say a loss. I was wondering if there was a ruling on this I didn't notice one in the WPA rules.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
if neither player "A" or player "B" notices that the 8 ball is missing from the table after the break, there are a number of issues that we should address here......;)

Only 1 issue.. If you don't look to see what balls went down on the break.. You deserve to loose.

PETROBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah I always count them. the guys playing were weak new players and they prob only looked at the high and low balls

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
There is also a generic rule, use common sense. But, much of that goes out the window in beer leagues too I suppose.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Replay makes sense because you can't be absolutely positive it was on the break.
It very likely was, but another possibility is... maybe it hung deep in the jaws
and then fell in from a vibration later.

If I were absolutely 100% positive it fell on the break, and the house league rules call that a win,
then the breaker won... no need for a replay. Wouldn't be right to cheat them out of their win.