Ring Games are a Good Time

Big Perm

1pkt 14.1 8 Banks 9 10
Silver Member
Last night, one of my buddies wanted to get a ring game together.....just something light, cheap stakes....we had 4 of us playing a banks ring game....this was the MOST fun I've had playing any pool game in a long time.....we were all doing a little sharking, bunch of trash talking, and just general asshattery :grin:

Most fun I've had losing.....we all were laughing, cutting up, and some amazing shots were made.....

Thinking this is the why I started playing in the first place....to enjoy the game and have a challenge.....I think next time around I'm gonna try and talk them into some old school 5-10-15.......would love to hear some good ring game stories.....also, what other games are good for a group of 4 or 5 players with low stakes???

Thanks,

Jason

Kobachi

Scarred but Smarter
3 Ball is our favorite after league game. Usually a buck a man, and others are welcomed to play along, the more the merrier$$. Alot of carryovers (2 tie all tie), and sometimes the winner gets the pitcher full of singles poured over their head :smile:

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
3 Ball is our favorite after league game. Usually a buck a man, and others are welcomed to play along, the more the merrier$$. Alot of carryovers (2 tie all tie), and sometimes the winner gets the pitcher full of singles poured over their head :smile:

3 ball is a great non-sensical game. I've never heard roars so loud around a table than a fun game of 3 ball with about 8 guys. It can be a barrel full of monkeys type fun!

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
I agree 3-Ball is a lot of fun too! I like cheap ring games when nothing is going on. Unfortunately today people get mad at losing $20-$30 so they don't want to gamble at all unless they like their side of it a lot.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last night, one of my buddies wanted to get a ring game together.....just something light, cheap stakes....we had 4 of us playing a banks ring game....this was the MOST fun I've had playing any pool game in a long time.....we were all doing a little sharking, bunch of trash talking, and just general asshattery :grin:

Most fun I've had losing.....we all were laughing, cutting up, and some amazing shots were made.....

Thinking this is the why I started playing in the first place....to enjoy the game and have a challenge.....I think next time around I'm gonna try and talk them into some old school 5-10-15.......would love to hear some good ring game stories.....also, what other games are good for a group of 4 or 5 players with low stakes???

Thanks,

Jason
I think I would rather play in a ring game then most any other kind of competition. I used to drive 200 miles every other week to play in a regular game and would travel any reasonable distance to play in a regular game. They usually are not to hard to get up as long as all the players are fairly close in skill. If you keep the game cheap enough, and that can be a matter of opinion, so no one can really get hurt they can be a regular weekly thing among players. If a game becomes popular it can run for years and have dozens of regular players who will play. If you are one of the better players you would be shocked what you can make in a game like that while no one person is even really getting hurt. In say 10 or 15 hours you could have 30 different players in and out of the game many leaving a little some taking a little. I love ring games. I also used to play pill pool for days at a time, honest a God. I think that pool playing years ago conditioning me because to this day, even at my age I only sleep about 5 or 6 hours and may stay up for 20 or 30 hours if I have something I need to do.

Last edited:

RLSwint

BCAPL League Operator
About every 4 -5 weeks five of us get together and play 10 ball ring game in my basement. cost is $20.00 per player. we keep a tally sheet and start at $1.00 a game per player at about 9:00 - 9:30 we up it to $2.00 a game.
At 11:00 low stack is all in and were done by midnight. Wiinner takes home $80.00 , 2nd takes home $20.00. It's a great night some drink some don't. Wife brings down snacks, it's great company and I think everyone eventually took home the cheese. alot of pool is played win or lose and worst is ya lose $20.00 for 6 hours of fun. It seems it's never planned, we all get the itch and it happens. I always look forward to it.

GoTulane

Shizzle-rific
Ring games are great!!

When I was in Lubbock, we used to have a ring game after our BCA match, and that was usually more fun than league.

Before I left to return to New Orleans, we started playing the ring game pill game, and that was even better for my last 4 weeks.

Still play 9 or ten ball in rotation of players, but before each break, all players pull a pill from the bottle(pills in the bottle are 1-8 in 9 ball, and 1-9 in a ten ball game).

You keep you pill # secret to the other players during the game.

If you make the ball that your pill corresponds to, then everybody playing gives you 50 cents.

When you make another player's pill ball #, that person gives you 50 cents.

If you make the money ball(9 or 10 depending on the game) it is worth 50 cents from every player playing.

At the end of the game, the balls are re-racked, the players pull pills again, and the gambling continues.

We had one stipulation that always made it for an interesting game: Any balls made early(out of rotation due to combos, etc. - such as 3 -9 combo pocketing the 9 early) were paid out and re-spotted on the table in order to earn more $$$ in one game.
This allowed for some really crazy combo tries, and some interesting shot choices.

We played on 9 ft tables at Fast Eddies, and if you did well, you had plenty of quarters for laundry, bar box games, etc.

The dollar value can be increased or decreased (25 cents or a dollar per ball), depending on how much the players want to wager.

It is a great game, and only a pill bottle and pills are required to add to the ring game.

Try it out.

Michael

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I used to witness a regular ring game (and occasionally participate) in our old pool hall before it shut down. There doesn't seem to be any happening at the new place.

I think the secret ingredient that makes ring games so fun is you have to go for it. There's no safeties. You try the most retarded shots ever and then every so often they work out and you feel like some kind of genius. And there's always lots of groans and moans over slopped balls.

"whose team are you on?" "man, it's one thing you missed the ball, but why did you have to get shìt shape too? I can't shoot from here!" ..."awesome, I get to sit for another half hour cuz of your good roll. Can I follow the other guy next time?" "what. What! What's the problem?! How would YOU have played it? ANYONE can play it in the corner but I just prefer to bank it off the short rail into the side."