Unintentional hustle

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last night a guy wanted to play some cheap sets, race to five for $5.00. He is probably a C player or less but thinks he is a shortstop to hear him talk. He is a nice enough guy but his mouth gets the better of him. You know the kind of guy I am talking about. His exaggerations are just enough that you don’t call him on it because he needs his stories to be him.

We play but I am not all that enthusiastic. I beat him five three and I scratched twice on the ten ball because I was taking a flyer on some silly shots. So he says let’s do it again. Well this guy hasn’t really got a lot of money and I think he probably can’t afford to lose $5.00 let alone $10.00. So next set I gave him two on the wire, which he doesn’t mark with the coins. The score is 4 – 2 when he says “didn’t you give me two,” I said “sure but you didn’t take them,” so now he decides to take his two and the score is 4 – 4. I missed another silly shot trying for three rail position that I did not have to play but what the hell. So he wins and says let’s play for $100.00 a set. I looked at him and said, you don’t want to play me for $100.00 a set, lets play one more for $5.00 with you getting three on the wire. He is game. So I beat him 5- 3 (he never won a game, nor did he get very many shots) just to teach him a lesson and to shut him up.

After I got home last night it occurred to me that without thinking about it and without having my head in the game (cause it wasn’t needed) I hustled this guy and could have probably taken him for all he had.

I can see why people do this, some people you try to be nice to and they just act like a jerk. I think I was more surprised at myself than at him. In fact, I was doing something more like practice when we played a few sets but when he got serious I had to show him that he was all bluster. Oh yeah after the last set he quit. But then I think I knew he would cause he wasn’t getting to shoot very often and that kinda pissed him off.

Of course he now starts woofing that I was just lucky and now he wants to play some more. Seems there is a lesson in here somewhere but I am not too sure what it is.

Last edited:

I Get Rolls

Registered
I think we've all done it before. Unfortunately, I think EGO reveals itself more in a pool hall than anywhere else (perhaps the golf course as well). I've come to the conclusion that I play the game because I'm fascinated by the scenarios the table presents me, and not the opportunity players present me with. I've probably missed out on a few scores here and there, but I'm happier with myself for it.

You didn't do anything wrong, Joe. In fact, you were a gentleman in letting him get out so easily. Nice story!

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Bust him like a steamroller over a walnut. He sounds like a blow hard and a pop-off so IMO your conscience shouldn't skip an rpm at night afterwards.

He needs to be schooled!

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last night a guy wanted to play some cheap sets, race to five for $5.00. He is probably a C player or less but thinks he is a shortstop to hear him talk. He is a nice enough guy but his mouth gets the better of him. You know the kind of guy I am talking about. His exaggerations are just enough that you don’t call him on it because he needs his stories to be him.

We play but I am not all that enthusiastic. I beat him five three and I scratched twice on the ten ball because I was taking a flyer on some silly shots. So he says let’s do it again. Well this guy hasn’t really got a lot of money and I think he probably can’t afford to lose $5.00 let alone $10.00. So next set I gave him two on the wire, which he doesn’t mark with the coins. The score is 4 – 2 when he says “didn’t you give me two,” I said “sure but you didn’t take them,” so now he decides to take his two and the score is 4 – 4. I missed another silly shot trying for three rail position that I did not have to play but what the hell. So he wins and says let’s play for $100.00 a set. I looked at him and said, you don’t want to play me for $100.00 a set, lets play one more for $5.00 with you getting three on the wire. He is game. So I beat him 5- 3 (he never won a game, nor did he get very many shots) just to teach him a lesson and to shut him up.

After I got home last night it occurred to me that without thinking about it and without having my head in the game (cause it wasn’t needed) I hustled this guy and could have probably taken him for all he had.

I can see why people do this, some people you try to be nice to and they just act like a jerk. I think I was more surprised at myself than at him. In fact, I was doing something more like practice when we played a few sets but when he got serious I had to show him that he was all bluster. Oh yeah after the last set he quit. But then I think I knew he would cause he wasn’t getting to shoot very often and that kinda pissed him off.

Of course he now starts woofing that I was just lucky and now he wants to play some more. Seems there is a lesson in here somewhere but I am not too sure what it is.

someone offered you a hundo and you decided you didn't want it. you're a strange you man! and you gave him a bigger spot and beat him with it so cheap that you might never get the chance to get that hundo that easy again.

you might be a real brain child!

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Ease up on youself, Joe. Guys like him are a dime a dozen.
The big picture here is that you probably did the guy a favor by taking it easy on him. He may not be that lucky tomorrow night. :smile:

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
someone offered you a hundo and you decided you didn't want it. you're a strange you man! and you gave him a bigger spot and beat him with it so cheap that you might never get the chance to get that hundo that easy again.

you might be a real brain child!

For some people pool isn't just about getting as much money as possible out of someone else's pocket.

If pool is just to rob people who are obviously not in a fair match, pool will not grow.

Yes, some people can make some decent scores, but in the end the losers will quit. If we instead try to inspire and motivate the weaker players to keep playing, pool will grow.

Gambling, a fair match-up between two good players = GREAT
Hustling, a good player robbing a weak = TERRIBLE

It's all about the bigger picture, imo

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Neil, that is good advice. I am not a money player but do enjoy an even match with friends for a few bucks now and again. I have observed this kind of thing before but had never been in this type of situation because I just don't have the gambler's mentality.

I usually avoid these kinds of guys but now I have a better idea about how to handle it next time. I have no need to be some sort of pool cop and teach someone a lesson but then, there are times ---

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
'Tis a dastardly thing you have done my son but there is hope for you and your wicked ways. At least you have come to the right people seeking the sacrament of penance.

Since you are repentant of your deeds, you are hereby required to play 3, four hour sessions of pool over the next 7 days and you are required to gamble with each of your opponents and must play to the best of your ability on each game and set.

You are hereby granted absolution for your sins.

Go in peace and spin your rock.

Father JoeyA

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
'Tis a dastardly thing you have done my son but there is hope for you and your wicked ways. At least you have come to the right people seeking the sacrament of penance.

Since you are repentant of your deeds, you are hereby required to play 3, four hour sessions of pool over the next 7 days and you are required to gamble with each of your opponents and must play to the best of your ability on each game and set.

You are hereby granted absolution for your sins.

Go in peace and spin your rock.

Father JoeyA

mea maxima culpa

ric23

no stroke!!!
Silver Member
rep to you!

There could be several lessons here. One- he really is a hustler, and has you convinced he can't play. If so, you are ripe for the pickin'.

Two- You warned him, and showed him. He isn't smart enough to learn. Time to take another approach- play him for what he wants, maybe he only learns out of pain. Make it hurt real bad. If you REALLY know he can't afford it, after he pays you, give most of it back, and scold him in the process. If that doesn't teach him, and you see him woofing again, do it again, but this time keep the money.
"ripe for the pickin'"
I didn't even think about that! dang neil! you always hit it right on the button! rep to you sir!

And joe, maybe you should play him again and listen to neil's advice before somebody else teaches him a lesson, and really make it hurt! i like the "scolding him in the process part!!!" :thumbup:

deadstroke13

The Banker
Silver Member
I remember I played this guy, for ager shooting 4 hours straight. A guy wanted to play $20.00 a game. I told him no because I had no money with me. I should've took him up on his offer. I beat him 5-2 in 8 ball. I was using a house cue and he had a beautiful Meucci '97 series Rose cue.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For some people pool isn't just about getting as much money as possible out of someone else's pocket.

If pool is just to rob people who are obviously not in a fair match, pool will not grow.

Yes, some people can make some decent scores, but in the end the losers will quit. If we instead try to inspire and motivate the weaker players to keep playing, pool will grow.

Gambling, a fair match-up between two good players = GREAT
Hustling, a good player robbing a weak = TERRIBLE

It's all about the bigger picture, imo

he offered. it's only a hundred. he'd have lost the hundred and rededicated himself to getting better.

Underclocked

.........Whut?.........
Silver Member
Rip him for all he can stand, then tell him he can have his money back if his wife asks you for it ... in person at the room.

incognito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I find a that the best way to humble bad players who thinks they're hot shit is to steamroll him. That's the most effective way to make them realize they're not as good as they think they are. It's happened to be before too. I was arrogant and thought I was really good when I was beating up on bad players but then I got run over some real pool players and realized I wasn't that good after all.

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
"It's immoral to let a sucker keep his money.".....(Canada Bill Jones)

Since you did not relieve this guy of his money....he probably just lost it to someone else.

Banks

Banned
I'm with BRKNRUN on this one. I've seen it enough times that someone is just itching to throw away whatever money they've got in their pocket. It doesn't matter where.. video poker, booze, pool.. they'll find someone to take it. Would you rather have it to spend on a nice meal for yourself or by some jerkoff that lives off his girlfriend? Whatever the case may be, I'm sure you get my point. Or you could take the money and use it to buy the poor kid a few lessons. :thumbup:

Piercyexclusive

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know exactly how you feel and how the other guy felt.... I use to be the other guy....now Im you.... but I don't play much nowadays I stick to making the equipment.... I think you did the right thing but should he play you again and spout out of his mouth rob him.