Chalk Testing Follow-Up, Taom vs. Master, and How to Chalk Properly

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just posted a new video as a follow-up to my previous chalk-testing video. The new video:
  1. 1. ) demonstrates a simplified testing procedure anybody can use to easily test or compare chalks.
  2. 2. ) does a comparative test of Taom chalk (original and version 2) vs. Master.
  3. 3.) demonstrates the proper way to chalk.

The simplified procedure consists of two easy-to-perform tests to determine the:
  1. 1.) number of shots possible before miscuing.
  2. 2. ) miscue limit for maximum sidespin.

Here it is:

NV J.7 - Chalk Testing Follow-Up, Taom vs. Master, and How to Chalk Properly

Here are links to related videos and resources mentioned in the new video:

original chalk testing video

resource page summarizing all chalk test results

cling/skid/kick resource page

cling/skid/kick testing video

Enjoy,
Dave

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It astounds me how many regular players don't know the proper way to chalk their tip, and are not likely to change after years of doing it their way.

Jimmy C-Note

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you Dr. Dave for all the work you put in on chalk testing and your other videos and instructionals.
There are a multitude of choices these days when it comes to the game of pool,or anything else for that matter. Heck, back in the 70's when I first picked up a cue I never even thought about the brand of chalk that was used.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just posted a new video as a follow-up to my previous chalk-testing video. The new video:
  1. 1. ) demonstrates a simplified testing procedure anybody can use to easily test or compare chalks.
  2. 2. ) does a comparative test of Taom chalk (original and version 2) vs. Master.
  3. 3.) demonstrates the proper way to chalk.

The simplified procedure consists of two easy-to-perform tests to determine the:
  1. 1.) number of shots possible before miscuing.
  2. 2. ) miscue limit for maximum sidespin.

Here it is:

NV J.7 - Chalk Testing Follow-Up, Taom vs. Master, and How to Chalk Properly

Here are links to related videos and resources mentioned in the new video:

original chalk testing video

resource page summarizing all chalk test results

cling/skid/kick resource page

cling/skid/kick testing video

Enjoy,
Dave
Do any of you guys have much experience with Taom chalk? Several people have claimed to me that it dramatically reduces cling/skid/kick, but I am honestly a little skeptical (although I don't have proof one way or the other yet). Some people have also suggested miscues might occur more often.

Thanks,
Dave

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Do any of you guys have much experience with Taom chalk? Several people have claimed to me that it dramatically reduces cling/skid/kick, but I am honestly a little skeptical (although I don't have proof one way or the other yet). Some people have also suggested miscues might occur more often.

Thanks,
Dave

At this years US Open I heard more miscues from top players.... than ANY event, WPA or not, in my life. Personally I think it's the vehicle to attach each layer of leather, one on top of the other. That's the culprit, especially at the critical curvature moment on the tip crown, where the thickness of each glue is more exposed, bevel cut so tah speak.
Top pros never miscue. I often play an entire event w/o a single miscue. When the players did miscue at the Open, they had that dumfounded look because the shot was a no brainer most often. It was strange to hear miscue sounds so often.

Dave, thx for the video. Enjoyed it!

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At this years US Open I heard more miscues from top players.... than ANY event, WPA or not, in my life. Personally I think it's the vehicle to attach each layer of leather, one on top of the other. That's the culprit, especially at the critical curvature moment on the tip crown, where the thickness of each glue is more exposed, bevel cut so tah speak.
Top pros never miscue. I often play an entire event w/o a single miscue. When the players did miscue at the Open, they had that dumfounded look because the shot was a no brainer most often. It was strange to hear miscue sounds so often.

I think a lot of the miscues are because of layered tips as you said.
I remember back in the '60s a miscue was rare.
All we had were single layered tips and whatever chaulk the room supplied.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I dislike layered tips for this reason. Although, sometimes not applying chalk carefully can be a culprit. And sometimes even top players have imperfect strokes. But I'm with you that miscues should not happen often to top players.

You're welcome. I have another chalk testing video planned to characterize the likelihood of cling/skid/kick with different brands of chalk. I'll try to film it this coming week. I really want to know if some of the claims about Taom are true or not.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

AlienObserver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks for the video dr dave.
although, imo, this video doesn't investigate TAOM's chalk real claims. I don't think that anyone will disagree that if chalk (any chalk) ends up on the contact point of the cb and ob there will be a kick.
The claim is that TAOM leaves less chalk sticking on the cue ball and on the table, minimizing the chances of chalk ending up on the contact point. So judging this chalk by how many shots you can make before miscue isn't doing it justice.

How many shots you can make without chalking is an important factor for someone who doesn't chalk this often, but it was not the goal of this chalk to begin with. Switching from Magic Chalk to TAOM may in fact result in more miscues if the player is used to chalk once every rack.

I'm used to chalking before every shot, because it's part of my PSR. I know that I don't really have to, and I could easily chalk once in 3-4 shots, but taking that extra second is important for me to visualize the shot a bit better. So if this chalk reduces my chances of getting a bad contact, even by a small but measurable amount, I think it's worth it.

Is there any way you could make a video investigating how much chalk actually sticks to the cue ball with TAOM chalk vs others? I know that TAOM is lightly colored and makes it hard to see on the cue ball, but come on, use the 8 ball as a cb for this test.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
It astounds me how many regular players don't know the proper way to chalk their tip, and are not likely to change after years of doing it their way.

Chalk grinders. Hole in the chalk, and blue ferrule and shaft.

Strangulation seems best.

All the best,
WW

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I dislike layered tips for this reason. Although, sometimes not applying chalk carefully can be a culprit. And sometimes even top players have imperfect strokes. But I'm with you that miscues should not happen often to top players.

You're welcome. I have another chalk testing video planned to characterize the likelihood of cling/skid/kick with different brands of chalk. I'll try to film it this coming week. I really want to know if some of the claims about Taom are true or not.

Regards,
Dave

Of all the players out there I would ask Busty. His play style and cueing off center allot would tell the tale. I don't know of any other Top 10 pro in the world that cues like he does with a powerful rate of swing speed. He would be my source.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is there any way you could make a video investigating how much chalk actually sticks to the cue ball with TAOM chalk vs others?
I just came up with a new test to characterize this. I’ll run it with a bunch of brands, including Taom, in the next couple of days. I’ll post the video here when it’s available.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions,
Dave

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
How many shots you can make without chalking is an important factor for someone who doesn't chalk this often
I've never understood this "benefit". If you don't chalk before every shot, how do you know when it's needed? After you miscue?

I don't want a reason to stop chalking for every shot.

pj <- also helps me think
chgo

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought the Taom mainly because it was advertised that it don't leave so much on the table and on the cueball. After couple test my conclusion is that Taom is like any other chalk, it dirts the felt and the ball.

AlienObserver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never understood this "benefit". If you don't chalk before every shot, how do you know when it's needed? After you miscue?

I don't want a reason to stop chalking for every shot.

pj <- also helps me think
chgo

Some players I know chalk before a shot that could potentially go wrong without it. When playing 9ball for example, not all shots require side spin, many are just center cue ball hits. Chalk before screw shots and shots with 1,5 tip of side spin or more. Then have 3-4 center ball hits.

karppa68

Registered
It was very easy to see this last snooker season that after many players started to use Taom chalk that kicks became less frequent and tables stayed much cleaner. Especially if both players used Taom.

If one or both players used some other chalk the table was soon soon full of chalk marks... Very visible on TV too!