Derby City & 'Tuscaloosa Squirrel'

smackmac

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Marshall 'Squirrel' Carpenter wants the WORLD to know that he is 78 years old, and soon to be 79 on Feb 9th, 2007. He wants to play one pocket with any human being over 70 years of age.

No one over 70 will be barred playing one pocket.
ID Required

BackPocket9Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
smackmac said:
Marshall 'Squirrel' Carpenter wants the WORLD to know that he is 78 years old, and soon to be 79 on Feb 9th, 2007. He wants to play one pocket with any human being over 70 years of age.

ID Required

Is this Harold Macabee?

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
smackmac said:

ID Required

Louie Royball ( 76 or 78 yrs old) will be a good match and he plays the same speed as `Squirrel`. I will find out whether Louie is planning to be in Louisville.But some players he trained will be at Derbycity.:cool:

smackmac

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is he...

I will ask Squirrel tommorow if he knows the fellow...Let me know if he is going to DCC...Where is Louis from??

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
smackmac said:
This is he...

I will ask Squirrel tommorow if he knows the fellow...Let me know if he is going to DCC...Where is Louis from??

Tell Squirrel to make sure he brings his son along. That handsome young man sat in to deal the Hold'em game upstairs, and proceeded to deal me a Royal Flush in his first hand. I was on the button and looked down at A,Q of spades. The pot was raised in early position and called by four players in front of me. I just called too, and six of us took the flop. Little Squirrel (he's about 6' and 210) flopped the K,J,T of spades in that order.

I had to look back to make sure I really had it. Lucky for me, Danny Basavich had the Q,9 and flopped a straight. He gave me action to the river and I took down a big pot. I made a nice score in that little game, the only night I got to play.

smackmac

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know for a fact he is going. Because Marshal has already entered him in the 9 ball.

Thats the same poker game where Double J
hit me for a pretty good lick....

:)

Last edited:

Stones

YEAH, I'M WOOFING AT YOU!
Silver Member
I feel like I'm 110 yrs old. Does that count?

Just kidding. Heard a lot about the legend. I was thinking of going but that's enough incentive to go to the DCC just to see him in action.

What do they say, " I'd rather burn out than fade away."!

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
How old is Parica? Will Squirrel play him smackmac?

btw we met in Atlanta. I was hanging with Cobby watching you play that guy that was with Joey and then the next day against Joyner. You made the most amazing runout with Cliff's game ball hanging in the jaws, that after it was over Joyner was needling Angry..."How you liking that out Angry??"

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
smackmac said:

ID Required

A few years ago at the DCC, I was sweating a little action on one of the back tables in the main tournament room between Squirrel, Cornbread Red, Wade Crane, and another gentleman whose name I can't remember at the time of this writing.

Here is a great shot of Marshall "Squirrel" Carpenter on the right, with Cornbread Red in the middle, taken at the 2002 or, maybe, 2003 DCC. :)

How fitting it was that they posed right in front of the Action Room signage.

JAM

Attachments

• B, Squirrel and Red.JPG
    B, Squirrel and Red.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,142

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Stones said:
I feel like I'm 110 yrs old. Does that count?

Just kidding. Heard a lot about the legend. I was thinking of going but that's enough incentive to go to the DCC just to see him in action.

What do they say, " I'd rather burn out than fade away."!

Stone-man,
You should definitely attend. Last year Squirrel frequented the AZB room; getting in some one-pocket action versus Harry Platis (including some one-ball one-pocket games as well).

Be sure to check the DCC forum for info on the AZB room if you are interested in participating.

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Berle Gabbard

JAM said:
A few years ago at the DCC, I was sweating a little action on one of the back tables in the main tournament room between Squirrel, Cornbread Red, Wade Crane, and another gentleman whose name I can't remember at the time of this writing.

Here is a great shot of Marshall "Squirrel" Carpenter on the right, with Cornbread Red in the middle, taken at the 2002 or, maybe, 2003 DCC. :)

How fitting it was that they posed right in front of the Action Room signage.

JAM

The other guy is Berle Gabbard originally from Corbin Ky. He now has a poolroom in Gulfport Ms.

the Beard

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
smackmac said:
This is he...

Louie Royball is from New Mexico.He can even play very good nine ball at that age.Can hang around the pool rooms for 10-12 hours and it is amazing considering his age.:cool:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
freddy the beard said:
The other guy is Berle Gabbard originally from Corbin Ky. He now has a poolroom in Gulfport Ms.

the Beard

Yep, I knew it was Berle.

I couldn't remember, though, the name of the other player who was playing with Red, Squirrel, and Wade.

Berle is very good friends with a very good friend of mine! :D

JAM

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the major attractions of the DCC is the onslaught of players of all caliber who make the trek each and every year.

To see the legends of the game up front and close, like Marshall "Squirrel" Carpenter, is a golden opportunity to see pool at its finest. These are the American champions whose legacy will never be forgotten.

Here's a snapshot of one of many DCC barkfests. :D

An AzBilliards Gold Star goes out to who can name the most players in this fuzzy snapshot!:p

JAM

Attachments

• DCC Madness.JPG
    DCC Madness.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 952

BackPocket9Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
smackmac said:
This is he...

Harold, I am the guy you beat in the 2nd round of the US Open 1P tournament this past August . . . and then we played in that partners one pocket game later on that night with the two players from Greenville. Figured by your screenname it was you and wanted to say hi.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Where?

is 'Squirrel' from? The 'Squirrel' I knew was from Pasadena, Tx, and about 19 in 1971. He went to Vegas, and ended up beating Wimpy for the 9 ball Championship. He would be about 55 today.

And Parica is 60. He was born in 1946. Everyone thinks he is 57 or 58, but it had his birth date on a website about him, and I posted all the info
about him previously.

gromulan

Reality police
Silver Member
Count me in!! What are we playing for??

One problem, I'm not quite 70 yet. Squirrel, please post the money and as soon as I reach the age marker we'll get it on.

smackmac

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM, Marshall seen the pictures but didn't know Berle. He said the Partner game was Marshall & Wade playing Ricky Byrd & Bramcat. Cornbred Red was sweating it. Marshall said that Red said that after watching Squirrel shoot he was going to start back playing.:D

Smack

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Snapshot9 said:
is 'Squirrel' from? The 'Squirrel' I knew was from Pasadena, Tx, and about 19 in 1971. He went to Vegas, and ended up beating Wimpy for the 9 ball Championship. He would be about 55 today.

The "SQUIRREL" that is the subject of this thread is Marshall Carpenter.

He gathered most of his nuts around TUSCALOOSA, ALA.

He's old enough to be PASADENA Squirrel's daddy. HMMMMM......:confused:

Last edited: