Doesn't Parica deserve more respect?

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've come to the conclusion that there is really just one reason Jose doesn't get the respect he deserves:
Other players are measured against the world, while Parica is measured alone against Reyes.

Ironically, head-to-head, Parica has done well against Reyes, at the table. The only real war against Reyes he has lost is the charisma contest.

Hasn't he won enough over the last 20+ years to warrant inclusion in the BCA Hall of Fame? He's nearly 60 now, and still a threat to win any event, in nearly any disciple! Who, besides Reyes, has a better all around career record among potential HOF candidates? I can't come up with anybody.

Jose is called (and rightly so) the leader of the Philipine invasion, yet he doesn't seem to even get any credit for such a valued role in opening up the world to American Pool. How much richer is our sport because of all these great international players that have followed Jose??

I sure don't mean this post as a knock on Reyes, because he is absolutely my favorite player of all time, and like I said, other-worldly. His place is secure.

But let's not overlook the little giant, Jose Amang Parica...
He needs no excuses to qualify for the HOF -- just measure him against all the rest!!

crosseyedjoe

Anywhere but here
Silver Member
1pocket said:
I've come to the conclusion that there is really just one reason Jose doesn't get the respect he deserves:
Other players are measured against the world, while Parica is measured alone against Reyes.

Ironically, head-to-head, Parica has done well against Reyes, at the table. The only real war against Reyes he has lost is the charisma contest.

Hasn't he won enough over the last 20+ years to warrant inclusion in the BCA Hall of Fame? He's nearly 60 now, and still a threat to win any event, in nearly any disciple! Who, besides Reyes, has a better all around career record among potential HOF candidates? I can't come up with anybody.

Jose is called (and rightly so) the leader of the Philipine invasion, yet he doesn't seem to even get any credit for such a valued role in opening up the world to American Pool. How much richer is our sport because of all these great international players that have followed Jose??

I sure don't mean this post as a knock on Reyes, because he is absolutely my favorite player of all time, and like I said, other-worldly. His place is secure.

He needs no excuses to qualify for the HOF -- just measure him against all the rest!!

He was the top dog back in the Philippines and Efren was the second guy. If there is one match that defines a player for Efren it was the televised showdown between him and Jose for the glory. Efren won that showdown and never looked back. However, Jose is still ahead in head-to-head match-up.

As for the HOF, Jose needs the US Open. He made it to the finals twice in row but lost.

Last edited:

Southpaw

Swing away, Meril....
Silver Member
I agree that Parica deserves way more respect than he gets. We all know the titles that Efren has won, but Parica has been a force in the green rooms for years. Parica also has more top 10 finishes at the US Open than anyone else. He paved the way for the Phillipino invasion on pool. Maybe this will be his year.

Southpaw

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
I agree Parica deserves respect. However, I differ in that I think he also gets respect.

BreakersOne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also think that Parica is one of the best all around players and I hope that he does get in the HOF one day.

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
1pocket said:

Steve,
I got all the respect in the world for you, but I disagree with your assumption that Parica does not get his share of respect from pooldom. He gets and has always gotten plenty.

Most knowledgeable fans are well aware of his rivalry with Reyes. But Reyes has WON and DOMINATED TOURNAMENTS the world over. Here are some tournaments that Reyes won that Parica has NOT...
The World 9 Ball Championship, The U.S. Open 9 Ball Championship, a major 14.1 Championship (The Maine Event 14.1 in 1995), The International Challenge of Champions, The Derby City Classic 9 Ball Championship, 6 World 8 Ball Championships (to Pariica's NONE) and 7 San Miguel Asain 9 Ball Championships.
Furthermore, Parica has 1 DCC 1 Pocket title while Reyes has 5, Parica has one All-Around Derby City Championship, Reyes has 4.

It's very right for Reyes to get MORE praise and accolades than Parica, based on their credentials and accomplishments.

This is NOT to diminish Jose's greatness one bit. He is ONE of history's best cueists ever. Just not THE best.

Much of the comparision to Reyes is because Parica likes to bring it up. You NEVER hear Efren saying "I'm better than Parica", do you? If Jose is often compared to Reyes, it has something else to do with other than them both being Filipino's.

Jose is much loved the world over. He is afforded much love and respect here in America as well. But so is Allen Hopkins and HE is not in the HOF either.
Of the two, I believe Hopkins should be in the Hall of Fame before Parica.
His credentials in tournaments and what he has done for pool eclipses what Parica has done. Money wise, Hopkins was / is a killer as well, but I do give the nod to Parica in 9 ball and banks. I give Hopkins the nod in 14.1. Push on their one pocket.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
If Parica wasn't so jealous of Efren's success, he'd be in the hall of fame already.

crosseyedjoe

Anywhere but here
Silver Member
JoeyInCali said:
If Parica wasn't so jealous of Efren's success, he'd be in the hall of fame already.

There is some truth to that. One of his interviews kinda gives that away, why Efren is in the BCA HOF and he's not because he is ahead of Efren in head-to-head match-up.

I think his other disappointment was getting passed up for a spot in Mosconi Cup. He is an American citizen who wants to represent USA if given the chance. However, I'm not so sure if this another way of distancing himself from Efren.

Last edited:

JustPlay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Terry Ardeno summery of the two (Efern/ Jose) is excellent. I have never met or heard of anyone having any lack of respect for Parica. The only one(s) who creates this BS is Parica himself or people close or around him....

crosseyedjoe

Anywhere but here
Silver Member
But think about this;

Parica starts playing for USA
Parica meeting Efren on tournaments, specially on finals

Isn't that one of the most interesting scenarios out there between the two? High drama, "adopted son of the USA" VS "the thorn on his side."

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The initial post in this thread makes a very good point. Parica, though revered as one of the greatest ever action players, can never measure up to Efren. The difference is subtle, and yet still pronounced. When the most prestigious titles are up for grabs, Efren can get over the finish line, and Jose cannot.

Three examples that jump off the page for me: 1) Jose had his chances at the 2000 BCA Open, but hooked himself double hill vs Deuel in the final, 2) Jose played very poorly in the final of the 2003 US Open, and 3) Jose had his chances at the 2005 US Open, but laid back to back eggs against Pagulayan to lose the hot seat match and then the final.

Efren, on the other hand, gets over the finish line in the biggest spots.

Parica deserves a lot of respect, and gets it, but there is only one Efren, and The Magician proves it over and over.

Last edited:

jnav447

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In one way, I think the lack of respect afforded Jose has benefitted him. I've seen and heard of cash matchups in which Jose only had to give a fraction of the weight that was asked from Efren. LOT of people don't know how close to Efren that Jose actually plays, especially for the dough. Jose is a fierce competitor with a lion's heart when it comes to cash games. If Jose is smart, he should stay off TV, clam up when asked about him vs Efren, and keep raking in the chips. He's a legend in the P.I., now and forever; he should be very happy and content with that.

Reactions: sjm

cajunbarboxplyr

Beatem down wit a Varney
Silver Member
I lost my respect after 1 match I forgot gaianst who and it was a obvious foul and he denied it and such........was on youtube I THINK!.....But yes after that he is dog doodle to me.... Long live Santos and Francisco

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
jnav447 said:
In one way, I think the lack of respect afforded Jose has benefitted him. I've seen and heard of cash matchups in which Jose only had to give a fraction of the weight that was asked from Efren. LOT of people don't know how close to Efren that Jose actually plays, especially for the dough. Jose is a fierce competitor with a lion's heart when it comes to cash games. If Jose is smart, he should stay off TV, clam up when asked about him vs Efren, and keep raking in the chips. He's a legend in the P.I., now and forever; he should be very happy and content with that.
IF that were true , more players would know it.
I saw Parica get drilled by John Schmidt playing for cash ( one-hole ).
Efren's backer offered the same spot to JS's backer.
JS backer wanted 10-7.
There's not much difference between Parica and Efren in 9-ball when they are at their best imo.
One pocket is another story.

Schon-desi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe that the day he stops comparing himself to Efren is the day that people will start giving him the respect that he deserves.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Schon-desi said:
I believe that the day he stops comparing himself to Efren is the day that people will start giving him the respect that he deserves.
IF he did not let his pride get the best of him, he'd be in now.
If he roomed with Efren in a lot of those tournaments, they'd practice together and he'd be in stroke. He'd have won more tournaments.
But, he'd show up in major tournaments after not even getting on the table weeks at a time.

wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Terry Ardeno said:
Steve,

Much of the comparison to Reyes is because Parica likes to bring it up.

Much of the comparison to Reyes is because almost everyone brings it up. Take a look at the posts in this thread the vast majority of them make comparisons between Efren and Parica and Efren's name wasn't mentioned in the title of the thread. Unfortunately, as great as Parica plays and has played he will always have that Efren albatross around his neck.

Wayne

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
wayne said:
Much of the comparison to Reyes is because almost everyone brings it up. Take a look at the posts in this thread the vast majority of them make comparisons between Efren and Parica and Efren's name wasn't mentioned in the title of the thread. Unfortunately, as great as Parica plays and has played he will always have that Efren albatross around his neck.

Wayne
I know that, and even though the thread opened with the observation, "Other players are measured against the world, while Parica is measured alone against Reyes," the comparison to Reyes is still about all that has come up as the thread has progressed :) (with the exception of Terry Ardeno, who got into a brief Hopkins/Parica comparison).

Face it, nobody compares well to Reyes. Well, nobody living anyway. Maybe Greenleaf and Mosconi among the deceased, yet even those two didn't begin to approach the all-around achievements of Reyes.

But against the rest of the un-enshrined in the BCA HOF (and most of the enshrined, for that matter) doesn't Parica look damn good?

Terry, I know you're good on this kind of thing, but you brought up Hopkins -- how many US Opens has Hopkins won? This isn't a test, I just can't find the winner/runner up list :)