What Is A "custom" Pool Cue

BLACKHEARTCUES

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I posed this question on "BILLIARDS DIGEST" & EASY POOL TUTOR". for BUYERS & PLAYERS ONLY. Let's see what the consumer feels about this subject. THANKS...JER

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BLACKHEARTCUES said:
I posed this question on "BILLIARDS DIGEST" & EASY POOL TUTOR". for BUYERS & PLAYERS ONLY. Let's see what the consumer feels about this subject. THANKS...JER

IMO, anything that is custom made is made to the buyer's requests. In other words, the buyer has influence over the design of the cue. This term is usually confused with "hand made".

Last edited:

Cuaba

Livin Large
Silver Member
When I ordered my current playing cue, I picked the design & materials: cocobolo & ivory, the length: 59", the weight: 19.6oz., the wrap: lizard (which I've since changed to linen for durability), the shaft diameter: 12.75mm, and a slim butt diameter. The design and dimensions are one of a kind.

That is what I call "Custom."

bigskyjake

you heard the man
Silver Member
exactly, a custom cue is one who's design and materials were influenced/ picked by the buyer

Cuaba

Livin Large
Silver Member
Definition:

custom-made: made according to the specifications of an individual

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
I'll bite.

In the purest sense, I believe that a custom cue is one that is ultimately designed by the cuemaker but is designed and built using input from the buyer. The buyer typically provides input along the lines of wood selections, number of points, number of veneers, colors of veneers, wrap material and color, cue weight (typically not adjustable), cue length, grip diameter, tip type, ferrule/shaft diameter and the like.

A lot of "custom" cuemakers also make cues using their own designs and build them without a customer in mind... and therefore they design them without any customer input... and they design to their standard... e.g., a 58" cue with adjustable weight bolt (17.5 - 20.5 oz) and with 13mm ferrule/shafts. The customer can specify their weight and if they want the shafts turned down or the tip replaced with their preference, the cuemaker will do that. Are these custom cues?... that's a good question. I'd say not... but some peolple would say "yes".

If there was one parameter to judge a true custom cue from a non-custom, perhaps it would be the weight. A cue with an adjustable weight bolt is not a true custom cue in my mind. Certainly this is debateable.

Juda4936

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dealer

What if a dealer calls and gives the specs?
The Puchaser from the retail side has no input but, was built like the dealer wanted, so would that be custom or just hand built?

I bought a Coker 5 years ago and alway thought of it as a Custom Cue but I did not order it myself, I bought it from a Dealer:eek:

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Juda4936 said:
What if a dealer calls and gives the specs?
The Puchaser from the retail side has no input but, was built like the dealer wanted, so would that be custom or just hand built?

I bought a Coker 5 years ago and alway thought of it as a Custom Cue but I did not order it myself, I bought it from a Dealer:eek:

This is from Dictionary.com:

cus?tom-make / Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kuhs-tuhm-meyk]
?verb (used with object), -made, -mak?ing. to make to individual order.

I mean, I don't see how this definition would suddenly change when it related to pool. If I get a custom-made sandwich, I would expect that to mean I get to choose what I get. If I get a prewrap sandwich, even if it were made by a deli-guy, it's still not a custom sandwich.

bigskyjake

you heard the man
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:
This is from Dictionary.com:

cus?tom-make / Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kuhs-tuhm-meyk]
?verb (used with object), -made, -mak?ing. to make to individual order.

I mean, I don't see how this definition would suddenly change when it related to pool. If I get a custom-made sandwich, I would expect that to mean I get to choose what I get. If I get a prewrap sandwich, even if it were made by a deli-guy, it's still not a custom sandwich.

Jude, what if you go to buy the pre-wrap sandwich but you have the deli guy take the tomatoes off, is it then a custom sandwich?

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
bigskyjake said:
Jude, what if you go to buy the pre-wrap sandwich but you have the deli guy take the tomatoes off, is it then a custom sandwich?

Cool. So if I put a few wraps of hockey tape on my Falcon it's a custom cue and then I can snicker at those slobs with no hockey tape. I like it !

Just stirring a bit, pay no attention to the man from the great white north.

Dave

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DaveK said:
Cool. So if I put a few wraps of hockey tape on my Falcon it's a custom cue and then I can snicker at those slobs with no hockey tape. I like it !

Dave

blank.gifblank.gifblank.gifblank.gifblank.gifblank.gif

bigskyjake

you heard the man
Silver Member
DaveK said:

Dave

You Canadians are all the same

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Thanks a lot bsj, now that I've got hockey tape all over my cue I think I should have used pine tar instead :mad: Anyone want a custom canuckistanian cue-stickem ? :D

Dave

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
I have read this post twice, and many of the people posting to thread certainly have some good point's. I would add that in my opinion ANY cue can be considered a Custom cue if it has been modified to a individuals specification. This would include any production cue, that has been modified, for an individual. I suspect that any stock item that has been changed from it's original specifications for anyones comfort is customized.

I think the concept of custom and product as used in the cue market can apply to any maker. A custom cue maker who offers a catalog with designs he is currently producing is only making cues, not truly custom models. Unless the basic specifications are adapted to an individual. The word custom in no way in my opinion, should be used to identify quality in the manner that individuals make the words use synonymous during marketing today.

I know this topic is very broad, and the answers are endless, however, these are my thoughts.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
to me its a cue I can have made that balances where I want, looks how I want, has shaft taper and dia that I want.

Mostly I don't ask for anything other than the cue makers taper, and know some won't change the taper. Can understand that. Balance point, handle thickness, etc to me are customized.

Currently have a j/b that has been customized even though it is a production cue. Don't think its a custom cue, but its not a stock production cue either. Not sure what to call it, but I like it.

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cue made for a player's specifications. most of these cues have their own design for decoration and distinction.

TripXQ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Custom Cue

Would calling them "Personalized Cues" be better? That might separate them from production cues more appropriately. Then the question will become related to who it's personalized for? In my opinion the customer should have input into their cue's design and after discussions with the cuemaker allow him to carry out the building process using his "proprietary secrets" of cue building to make the final cue. This then would be a "Personalized Cue". This allows the customer as much input as he or she wants (customization or personalization) while still allowing the cue maker construction latitude.
You are all welcome to come to my website (www.triplecrosscues.com) and browse and contact me with questions.
Tom Gedris, Triple Cross Cues:cool: