8 Ball Run out from here

soulcatcher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have Solids. You have this left for a runout. What do you do?

CueTable Help

I will post how I ran out when I get back from Vegas next week.

Edit - What pocket for the 8? How do you get there?

Last edited:

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
2-5-1-6-8 for me. I'm banking the 8 cross-side. I'd play the 2 with high right, trying to go 3 rails back to the center of the table for a little angle on the 5. Then from the 5 I'm drawing to get a shallow angle on the 1 (since I don't want to run into all those stripes coming off of the 1, I want to be straight enough to hold in the center of the table), then the 6 and whack the 8 cross-side at 100 mph.

The difficult positional shot is from the 2 to the 5, since you need just the right angle to easily get to the 1. If I don't fall well on the 5, I may have to just cinch the 5, possibly using the 13 to hold me right there, and then use the 6 to get nearly straight on the 1. Then I'm drawing back off the one to play the cross-side bank on the 8.

-Andrew

Deadon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2,5,1,6, 8 playing the shot long off the 6, if you hit the 11 your still OK, best case to get lower and play the long rail off the 6.
or
6, 5, 2, 1, 8. Playing the gap, 1, 2, or 3 rails, depending on the angle, between the 14 and 12 for position on the 8.

Last edited:

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
I don't know...I have a feeling that it is a lot more congested around that side pocket than it looks on the layout here...Trying to get in there for a shot on the 8 without being hooked or scratching might be harder in real life.

I would look at the angle off the 6...I may take a crack at relocating that 8-ball off of a shot on the 6 ....If I hit it good (not hard) but with a decent pace it could knock that 8 off the rail into a more makeable position...The 2 is there as insurance....

If I miss the 8...or knock it into a cluster...I should still be able to make the 2...or re-evaluate my safe options.

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
Neil said:
I'm a little different than most folks. I'm shooting the one first. Coming off it to either hit the 10 thin on the far side, or hit the 8. Either way, the 8 is now wide open. I'm pretty much guaranteed to have a shot on either the 2 or the 6 next. Depending on just where I end up determines which I shoot first. Preferably the 2, then the 5, then the 6 coming off the end rail towards the side for the 8 in the corner where the 2 is currently sitting.

edit: Normally, I advocate not moving balls if you don't need to. And, the balls are technically runnable as they lie. However, in this case, If you move either the 10 or the 8, you increase your chances of running out dramatically. Worth doing in this case imho. Also, moving the 10 or the 8 you have zero chance of gettin hooked. You will still have a ball available.

I was thinking similarly, but might like your plan of attack better. I would've probably taken the 6 and tried to either bump the 8 or knock into the 10....Going with the 1 ball leaves the 2 and the 6 for shots though...?

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
Neil said:
The problem with taking the 6 first and coming into the 10 or 8, is that it is too easy to have no shot afterwards. Too many things can go wrong.

Oh, I agree with you...I was saying that I probably would've taken the 6 to try to either move the 10 or bump the 8 out a bit. That's my first thought...and I SUCK!!! 1 ball to get the same results I agree is safer.

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Neil said:
I'm a little different than most folks. I'm shooting the one first. Coming off it to either hit the 10 thin on the far side, or hit the 8. Either way, the 8 is now wide open. I'm pretty much guaranteed to have a shot on either the 2 or the 6 next. Depending on just where I end up determines which I shoot first. Preferably the 2, then the 5, then the 6 coming off the end rail towards the side for the 8 in the corner where the 2 is currently sitting.

edit: Normally, I advocate not moving balls if you don't need to. And, the balls are technically runnable as they lie. However, in this case, If you move either the 10 or the 8, you increase your chances of running out dramatically. Worth doing in this case imho. Also, moving the 10 or the 8 you have zero chance of gettin hooked. You will still have a ball available.
I agree with you and depending on how I would feel as to coming into the ten thin or going directly into the eight. It looks like a good opportunity to make the rest of the run easy. I don't see how you can get into trouble with that shot. If I don't succeed in making the eight better the out is still there, even if it calls for a bank on the eight.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Andrew Manning said:
2-5-1-6-8 for me. I'm banking the 8 cross-side. I'd play the 2 with high right, trying to go 3 rails back to the center of the table for a little angle on the 5. Then from the 5 I'm drawing to get a shallow angle on the 1 (since I don't want to run into all those stripes coming off of the 1, I want to be straight enough to hold in the center of the table), then the 6 and whack the 8 cross-side at 100 mph.

The difficult positional shot is from the 2 to the 5, since you need just the right angle to easily get to the 1. If I don't fall well on the 5, I may have to just cinch the 5, possibly using the 13 to hold me right there, and then use the 6 to get nearly straight on the 1. Then I'm drawing back off the one to play the cross-side bank on the 8.

-Andrew

I would play the same sequence but I'm not positioning for a bank on the 8. From the 6, I'm fairly certain I can hit that window and get straight on the 8-ball.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:
From the 6, I'm fairly certain I can hit that window and get straight on the 8-ball.

I believe you regarding your skill level. Regarding my own game, I'm fairly certain I'll hook myself or leave myself a more difficult bank at least 7 out of 10 times I try to thread the CB in there.

Also, I'm pretty good at that bank.

-Andrew

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Andrew Manning said:
I believe you regarding your skill level. Regarding my own game, I'm fairly certain I'll hook myself or leave myself a more difficult bank at least 7 out of 10 times I try to thread the CB in there.

Also, I'm pretty good at that bank.

-Andrew

I wouldn't sell yourself short just yet. It looks like a mess but it's nowhere near as bad as you think. You can't scratch because the 10 is in the way. All you have to do is get a basic angle sending you toward the side (easy to do, we've all done it a billion times) and have the right speed and you're done.

You just need to have a good angle on that 6. There ARE some bad rolls that could happen but I'd have to say the odds are pretty good you don't get hooked.

CueTable Help

Da Poet

Pool is Cool
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:
I would play the same sequence but I'm not positioning for a bank on the 8. From the 6, I'm fairly certain I can hit that window and get straight on the 8-ball.

Yeah, it's not quite as risky as it first looks. Anything center to right on the eleven and not touching the ten will work just fine.

Edit - A little late lol - Actually I was looking at shape on the six another way but that works better.

Last edited:

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:
I wouldn't sell yourself short just yet. It looks like a mess but it's nowhere near as bad as you think. You can't scratch because the 10 is in the way. All you have to do is get a basic angle sending you toward the side (easy to do, we've all done it a billion times) and have the right speed and you're done.

You just need to have a good angle on that 6. There ARE some bad rolls that could happen but I'd have to say the odds are pretty good you don't get hooked.

Now that you've drawn out the possible paths, I concede that there aren't as many ways to get in trouble as it seemed at first going for that position. Hitting the 11 on the wrong side is bad, and hitting the 10 on the wrong side (the one you didn't diagram) has a lot of possible bad outcomes, but coming in between them or hitting either on the side you diagrammed doesn't look too risky.

I guess playing for the natural-angle bank (harder than the straight shot, but at least I know what I'm getting) seemed better than playing position plinko. But you've pointed out that the plinko is skewed a bit in my favor, so I guess it's back to a toss-up for me.

-Andrew

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Andrew Manning said:
Now that you've drawn out the possible paths, I concede that there aren't as many ways to get in trouble as it seemed at first going for that position. Hitting the 11 on the wrong side is bad, and hitting the 10 on the wrong side (the one you didn't diagram) has a lot of possible bad outcomes, but coming in between them or hitting either on the side you diagrammed doesn't look too risky.

I guess playing for the natural-angle bank (harder than the straight shot, but at least I know what I'm getting) seemed better than playing position plinko. But you've pointed out that the plinko is skewed a bit in my favor, so I guess it's back to a toss-up for me.

-Andrew

No, you're right. You can still get screwed here. The added reason for trying to get shape is that most players have a natural feel for the speed to reach a rail. You know you're gonna be very close.

This is the type of shot that you nail, you think, "wow, not so bad" and everyone oohs and aaahs.

The downside is getting hooked and if you do, you lose. However, if you miss the bank, you lose. No matter what, you don't get out, you lose. So no pressure!

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
With all of the stripes all in the same place and such a small window to get good shape on the 8, I would honestly run to the 8, get as close to the 8 as I could and try to play safe... hide the cue behind the 8. I know the point of the post is to get out but with the stripes blocking an easy 8 ball, I dont think I would go for it. Im sure that is inexperience talking, but it seems just ask risky as everything else.

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:

CueTable Help

I am not opposed to this pattern...(I would probably still look to see if I can break that 8 out on the firt shot though)...

If I did not like the angle to the 8 (If it required to much working of the CB to get on it) I would look to this pattern you describe.

I think (even though you did not mention it in so many words) your diagram shows a good lesson to keep in mind.......(and you probably have a habit of seeing it this way already)

When you forced into this type of postion shot that (as Grady would say) is fraught with peril...You should look at only the positive outcomes and basically ignore the bad roll outcomes......Pick your intended good line and go with it...

If you see the CB clipping the 10 and ending up hooked behind it...Or you see yourslef hitting it just a bit too hard (because you want to be sure your clear the 10) and imagine the CB banking behind the 14....That is probably what is going to happen...

It is the same theory about hitting a golf shot on a 175 yard par three that is all carry over water.....If you "see" the ball going into the water......."gloink"

The thought process on that hole is supposed to be....."What Water??"

Cory duel made a comment regarding pocketing balls that is along the same lines...He said...."If the last thing I see (before pulling the trigger) is the ball going in the pocket...that is usually where it goes...If the last thing I see is the ball jarring or hitting a rail...that is usually what happens":)

Last edited:

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cleary said:
With all of the stripes all in the same place and such a small window to get good shape on the 8, I would honestly run to the 8, get as close to the 8 as I could and try to play safe... hide the cue behind the 8. I know the point of the post is to get out but with the stripes blocking an easy 8 ball, I dont think I would go for it. Im sure that is inexperience talking, but it seems just ask risky as everything else.

Without using the words "ever" or "never" (though one might), you should try not playing safe on the 8-ball terribly often. As a rule, you have to assume if your last shot was at the 8-ball, you did not pocket it and your opponent has several balls left on the table, you will lose. In this instance, there is no safety on the 8-ball that will get you a better opportunity to win than the one you have right now.