★★★ Ko Pin-Yi is the new W9B Champion ★★★

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
congratulations to our new champion, Ko Pin Yi!

kopinyi.jpg

this is probably the best finals of all time. congrats as well to Shane - a true warrior indeed!

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Congrats to the winner...but yeah, I was rooting for Shane...:sorry:

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats Ko Pin-Yi when your that good and lucky unbeatable combination.

You said it, I like Shane alot but when people take the win from the winner
and put it all on how Shane got bad rolls and unlucky is so bias and just
plain stupid.
Focus on the 2 players both playing great and both getting lucky rolls throughout
the entire event, unless Shane never got one:rolleyes:

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great showing by Ko and Shane.

No player is going to turn down rolls and everyone knows you need them at some point in tournaments. They both played great and Ko came out on top. Shane had a chance to make it 10-8 and got out of line, he then had the chance to play the safe and just caught it a little to thick. The pool gods weren't on his side today but he did show great composure throughout. Could you imagine if that had been Ko vs Earl? :eek:

Congrats to Ko for the great showing and I can't wait to watch them match up again.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats Ko Pin-Yi when your that good and lucky unbeatable combination.

Two pivotal racks that Ko would use to victory:

- the scratch while kicking at 7 ball, and seven rolls up freezes on 8 w ball in hand to Shane and no pockets to shoot at. Shane misses bank, and Ko runs out.

-the attempt at the combo 2-9 w nine in corner pocket, and missed but 9 kicks out and slops in side pocket.

Those 2 racks would be huge in this format. (And with Ko winning by 2)

Shane still had two chances to separate himself from Ko, going up 8-6 when the stream went down, then at 9-8 he was running out and missed position on the 7 ball.went for the jump and jawed the pocket, giving easy three ball run out to Ko to make it 9-9 instead of 10-8. HUGE momentum shift.

The match took a serious turn there with Ko going one up all the way. Had it gotten to 10-8 Shane, the outcome could've been different.

Shane still had his chances, but Ko was fortunate enough to play to the title.
Congratulations to Ko pin Yi. See you in Virginia at US Open for round 2 on Shanes home turf.

Last edited:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Congrats to Ko, got some rolls and parlayed them into a win with top-class shooting.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
... at 9-8 he was running out and missed position on the 7 ball.went for the jump and jawed the pocket, giving easy three ball run out to Ko to make it 9-9 instead of 10-8. HUGE momentum shift.

This was the mistake that cost the most. I truly believe that Shane would have won if he grabbed a 10-8 lead.

... and I'm not letting him off the hook for the missed bank of the seven with ball in hand that would have grabbed yet another game off of Ko's break. That bank is about 80% for Van Boening (90% for Hall or Woodward) and while he deserved to be shooting something easier, the fact is he should have made it.

Shane had the worst of the rolls, but he had more than enough good looks at the table to win.

anbukev

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a great final! Ko Pin Yi is now the reigning 10 ball and 9 ball champion! I look forward to them being matched up at the U.S. Open next month hopefully in the finals.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well said!

This was the mistake that cost the most. I truly believe that Shane would have won if he grabbed a 10-8 lead.

... and I'm not letting him off the hook for the missed bank of the seven with ball in hand that would have grabbed yet another game off of Ko's break. That bank is about 80% for Van Boening (90% for Hall or Woodward) and while he deserved to be shooting something easier, the fact is he should have made it.

Shane had the worst of the rolls, but he had more than enough good looks at the table to win.

I stayed up all night to watch Shane and I really wanted him to win, it would have been BIG for Pool. I think it would have started a rivalry between SVB/American players and the world in a healthy, good for Pool way.

But as you stated Shane had a few opportunities that he did not capitalize on and in this format and playing a champion you have to take advantage the few times that you can. Great win for Ko, Great tournament for SVB.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Shane still had two chances to separate himself from Ko, going up 8-6 when the stream went down, then at 9-8 he was running out and missed position on the 7 ball.went for the jump and jawed the pocket, giving easy three ball run out to Ko to make it 9-9 instead of 10-8. HUGE momentum shift.

The match took a serious turn there with Ko going one up all the way. Had it gotten to 10-8 Shane, the outcome could've been different.

Hooking himself on the seven was when I felt the wheels fall off....
...anywhere middle of he table was good enough...he tried to get too good.
..experience shows to never go the way you might hook yourself...you can run
out from a bad angle or play safe...
....up till then, I felt Shane was going to get it done.

He could've been 10-8 up while getting fewer of the good rolls.
...these things are always double jeopardy.....
...it makes a man who is getting lucky....feel even luckier.

bowman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
great match by 2 great players congrats to ko world 9 ball champion.. 9 balls is a lucky game you guys forget SVB as had his fair share of luck in matches to so dont take this guys win away from him ..unlucky SVB great effort ...

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
congratulations to our new champion, Ko Pin Yi!

View attachment 396696

this is probably the best finals of all time. congrats as well to Shane - a true warrior indeed!

The best finals so far in 9-ball history has to be when a 16 year old Wu crossed the finish
line with, I believe, a seven pack.
This will never be equaled because they're playing alternate breaks now....:mad:

But congratulations indeed to Ko.....a model pro....as is Shane

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The best finals so far in 9-ball history has to be when a 16 year old Wu crossed the finish
line with, I believe, a seven pack.
This will never be equaled because they're playing alternate breaks now....:mad:

But congratulations indeed to Ko.....a model pro....as is Shane

Yes, that was the best match ever played. However, what happened was that at 16-12 in the race to seventeen, Po Cheng Kuo (I think that was his name) misplayed a safety. Wu ran that rack and four more to win 17-16 in the most clutch finish I can ever remember seeing in the final of a major event.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
Let's show class like Shane.
No disrespect to you, Colonel, but I dislike excuses.

It was Ko's day. Enough said.

Shane WILL win this tourney in the future. He is too good.

Gotta make him the favorite going into the US Open again. He runs that show there. I think they will need a rule change to beat him there. Shane will get his revenge no doubt, in all good fights everybody gets hit. SVB took the hit today, tomorrow he might be throwing the haymakers.