1" longer Shaft

Sambo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i was just wondering what everyones thoughts were on this. will i lose any control?

thank you in advance...

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
i was just wondering what everyones thoughts were on this. will i lose any control?

thank you in advance...

On a more serious note...... I have and use an OB Classic shaft that is 30" long. Other than the fact that I have an extra inch on the end of my cue for shots where I have to stretch-out a bit, I cannot tell ANY difference in the way my cue plays as opposed to using the 29" shaft. Forget what you hear about the dreaded "whippier" action of a longer shaft. Do not fret over the balance point of the cue by adding an inch to the shaft. Get one, slap that baby on there, and get out and PLAY!!! I like the heck out of mine!

Maniac

Chi2dxa

Lost over C&D Triangle
Silver Member
Yes you will.

Don't do it, I made that mistake and got the dreaded whipper action. The good part was that my cue maker was a local guy here and he was able to cut it down for me and the Whipper action was gone. I would go with the 1 inch longer butt if I were you and leave the business end of the stick alone.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

thank you in advance...

I prefer my set up, 30" handle and 29" shaft.

A 30" shaft is fine as long as it's tapered properly. If you start with a partial, like an OB, Predator, or Tiger, then the shaft is tapered properly because the joint end is where the length is added. The ferrule, tip, and all that are pre-installed.

That being said, I have both 30" and 29" shafts in the same model, and I do think the 29" shafts give me a little more control.

Chris

skeptic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a standard shaft and a 1" longer predator shaft. After getting a feel for both I use the longer predator shaft 100% of the time. I carry the other with me in case I lose a tip or something. Other than the occasional long-stretch I don't think the longer shaft really makes much difference, but I don't have two otherwise identical shafts to compare.

Ponytail

...it's about consistency
Silver Member
It all depends on the shaft.

I have an OB Classic 30" and I love it. It's still a very stiff hitting shaft. It also plays much like the 29" one I demo'ed. If anything, I get just a little more action out of the 30" but no loss in control or feel.

Now I have seen, and played with other 30" shafts that I did not like, but I had nothing to compare them against.

So, it really is dependent on the type of shaft, and how it's built.

Good luck.

spanky79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an extra inch on my Judd and love it, I even have another shaft with an additional inch and I play well with that also, I am only 5'8