$10,000 club

beetle

Do I bug you?
Silver Member
Last year I won $12,000 in a pool tournament in Vegas--and I didn't win the tournament--I got 2nd. It was a 580 and under, $1000 entry, single elimination, 32 player field.

I tried again this year and just barely got my entry fee back as I finished tied for 5th.

I didn't post here before, but it is by far my biggest achievement in pool. I realize that I might be in a pretty elite group of pool players to win that much money in a tournament.

Luckily there are more opportunities than one may think for winning good money at my level. Even among pros there aren't too many tournaments that would pay out over $10,000 for 1st, let alone, 2nd.

I'm curious about the members here and how many of you have won this kind of money in a tournament?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last year I won $12,000 in a pool tournament in Vegas--and I didn't win the tournament--I got 2nd. It was a 580 and under, $1000 entry, single elimination, 32 player field.

I tried again this year and just barely got my entry fee back as I finished tied for 5th.

I didn't post here before, but it is by far my biggest achievement in pool. I realize that I might be in a pretty elite group of pool players to win that much money in a tournament.

Luckily there are more opportunities than one may think for winning good money at my level. Even among pros there aren't too many tournaments that would pay out over $10,000 for 1st, let alone, 2nd.

I'm curious about the members here and how many of you have won this kind of money in a tournament?
Never won that kinda $ in a tournament. Congrats. Just don't break your arm pattin' yourself on the back. ;)

middleofnowhere

Registered

I won quite a few local tournaments with prizes of like 3 to $500. But the most I ever won was a state bar table tournament with a $2,000 first prize and I also won a brand new valley cougar Bar table which was worth about $2,500 at that time. So that's about the $4,500 first prize.

I remember years ago Luther Lassiter won almost every tournament in one year and won a total of $11,500.00

Last edited:

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
beetle, you should check out the Big Tyme Billiards tournaments in Mississippi. They have 6 and under and flighted tournaments that pay out $30k for first. I am looking to go to one of these soon. I'll offer to DD for you this time if necessary.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not even close for me. I’m not a tourney player but even if I was I wasn’t around the high entry $ tourneys unless they were filled with champions and I have zero chance.

Gambling I’ve played $10K/rack more than I can recall. I’m not sure what the most I ever played for was. Probably around that much. I wanted to play Dippy Dave for much more-he didn’t want any, bad for me, smart in his part. I’m retired from $ pool now(subject to change) never say never.

Enough about me in 36 years, I never achieved that, not even close. It’s great you got in those tourneys with that format. It sounds like your doing well and keep doing it. Sucks 5th doesn’t pay well but that’s pool. Have to 1-2-3 or do savers along the way to come out ahead.

well done
Fatboy

prad

Flip the coin
Silver Member

These kind of tournaments are a testament to reliability of FargoRate system. To all naysayers / non believers right here is the proof, I don't recall seeing any 1k entry tournaments at amateur level before FargoRate era.

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
T
beetle, you should check out the Big Tyme Billiards tournaments in Mississippi. They have 6 and under and flighted tournaments that pay out $30k for first. I am looking to go to one of these soon. I'll offer to DD for you this time if necessary.
A few guys from my area travel to the tournaments at Big Tyme. This past weekend I think first paid out 43k with the auction. That’s insane.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You play great in those formats! Who won the tournament this year?

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Good for you. If I self identify as 580 and below would they let me play?

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
LOL! This reminds me of an old thread on a Porsche site. "How fast have you driven?" Guys were posting speedometer pics...120-130- 145, etc. Then one guy posted a pic of he driving a 935 slantnose long tail during the Daytona 24 hours race, saying "No speedometer, but I was doing about 210 here. Speed is all relative." HA! That ended the thread...:D

DryFlyTrout

LOL! This reminds me of an old thread on a Porsche site. "How fast have you driven?" Guys were posting speedometer pics...120-130- 145, etc. Then one guy posted a pic of he driving a 935 slantnose long tail during the Daytona 24 hours race, saying "No speedometer, but I was doing about 210 here. Speed is all relative." HA! That ended the thread...:D
Your story reminded me of this story.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member

I'm not sure it's a "pretty elite group of pool players" with a $1000 entry. How much do you win in that same tournament with a $100 entry $1200?

MrKnives

Lots of tourneys pay out that much when there’s that size of an entry fee. All things are relative and it just depends on how much you want to risk to reap a relative reward. Time is what tells the story based on the overall winnings/tourney at that level.

beetle

Do I bug you?
Silver Member
I'm not sure it's a "pretty elite group of pool players" with a $1000 entry. How much do you win in that same tournament with a $100 entry $1200
Point taken, but the US Open is about $1000 entry also, but you need to be in the top 4 to make over $10k. Being willing to put up $1k entry is a lot different from being willing to put up $100 entry, so obviously the risk is greater and the reward is higher.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Point taken, but the US Open is about $1000 entry also, but you need to be in the top 4 to make over $10k. Being willing to put up $1k entry is a lot different from being willing to put up $100 entry, so obviously the risk is greater and the reward is higher.
It's easier when you know you can win! ;)