10 ball rule-- missed call shot

Travis3c

AV Pool Nut
Silver Member
If you miss a called shot in 10 ball and snooker the cueball by luck. Can your opponent pass the shot back to you? I didnt see it in the WPA rules but Ive seen this play in a tournament before. Has anyone ever seen this type of ruling before?

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
It's not a WPA rule, it's been used in some tournaments and challenge matches.

oldplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
excellent question! i am new to the game of 10 ball & have a 10 ball tournament every monday and weds from now until july 17th.......so do i use that as a "defense" or not?

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
I'm surprised that Grady hasn't posted yet claiming ownership of these "Grady Rules as he likes to call them.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe this rule is used with great success on Tony Robles's tour, the name of which escapes me at the moment. Not everyone accepts the "if you miss and stick me, I have to kick as my only option" rules.

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
This is the rule that Tony Robles using in his predator tour events and I like it :thumbup:

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
I believe this rule is used with great success on Tony Robles's tour, the name of which escapes me at the moment. Not everyone accepts the "if you miss and stick me, I have to kick as my only option" rules.

Mr. PressedIrishLinenGuy:

(Just yankin' yer chain -- all in fun. ;) )

All kidding aside, you're exactly right. Tony Robles' Predator tour has this important addition to otherwise stock WPA 10-ball rules for the Open-/Pro-level players:

2011 Open/Pro Rules
7. Call Shot/Safety:
Call Shot:
Players have the option of either calling their shot or calling a safety. Aside from obvious shots, the shooter must specify which ball and which pocket is being called. If a player is shooting a bank, combination or any kind of ambiguous shot, the player must call the shot.
If a player calls a shot and misses, the incoming player will have the option to shoot or make his opponent shoot again. No matter how many times a player misses a called shot, failure to pocket that ball legally or wrongfully pocketing the ball in another pocket allows the opposing player the option to shoot or make his opponent shoot again.
Call Safety:
If a player calls a safety, the incoming player does not have the option to make his opponent shoot again. The only exception is when a player calls safe and pockets a ball. If a player calls safe, legally hits the object ball and thereafter pockets any ball in their safety attempt, the opposing player has the option to shoot or make their opponent shoot again.

And everyone that plays on his tour LOVES these rules! It completely eliminates lucky leaves, but at the same time, dispenses with two-way shots (which many 9-ballers new to 10-ball may not like). But such is the way of change.

-Sean

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sean,
Thanks for clearing that up, I should have mentioned what the rules were in my original post.
Damn, man, you must read all my posts!

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sean,
Thanks for clearing that up, I should have mentioned what the rules were in my original post.
Damn, man, you must read all my posts!

No problem. And yep, I *do* read all your posts, because you clearly express your thoughts and viewpoints, regardless of the topic. (Though, I can't resist the opportunity to elbow-nudge you a bit about your "I don't get it" stance concerning Irish Linen being considered slippery by many posters here. ;) )

Back on topic, it'd been discussed before here about how Tony came up with the rules, but part of the origination came from Grady's rules, other parts came from another tour (methinks the Seminole Tour a while back?), and finally, feedback from the players themselves. These rules have been in place for as long as I can remember -- 3 or more years?

-Sean

stuckart

Paint Dry Watching Champ
Silver Member
Where some use this rule, most do not use this rule. Personally I wouldn't play in any tournament that you can't play 2 way shots like that.

I think calling all shots in 10-ball is great for the game. I also think if you try and play a hit or a safe and you luck in a ball that your opponent should still have the option to give it back to you if they are snookered.

VinCro

Registered
Great question. If you watch the Reyes vs Strickland match @ Steinway Billiards on the 10ft table it comes up about 35min into the match. I was confused when Strickland called a ball, missed it and it was a legal hit. He did snooker Reyes and Efren made him shoot again. As I saw in the other post it was a challenge match. First time I ever saw that.

VinCro

Registered
Great question. If you watch the Reyes vs Strickland match @ Steinway Billiards on the 10ft table it comes up about 35min into the match. I was confused when Strickland called a ball, missed it and it was a legal hit. He did snooker Reyes and Efren made him shoot again. As I saw in the other post it was a challenge match. First time I ever saw that. Personally I think thats a stupid rule.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Call Shot/Call Safety is one way 10-ball dials up the skill factor and minimize luck and slop.

Great question. If you watch the Reyes vs Strickland match @ Steinway Billiards on the 10ft table it comes up about 35min into the match. I was confused when Strickland called a ball, missed it and it was a legal hit. He did snooker Reyes and Efren made him shoot again. As I saw in the other post it was a challenge match. First time I ever saw that.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Call Shot/Call Safety is one way 10-ball dials up the skill factor and minimize luck and slop.

I don't think the "call shot with an option" rule dials up the skill factor at all...
...it DOES make the game more mundane and pedestrian.

Eliminating two, three, and four-way shots DECREASES the skill factor.

Those rules belong in a dive bar

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gambl8ng this is the way to go. Losing cause a guy,hooks you by accident really sucks for the cash.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Do you believe call shot take skill out of the game?

How would you accommodate two,three and multiple way shots in call shot/call safety framework, which is to eliminate fluke and luck?

In the past games of skill, such as 14.1 often put audience to sleep, which is why 9-ball, then Texas Express became popular.

I don't think the "call shot with an option" rule dials up the skill factor at all...
...it DOES make the game more mundane and pedestrian.

Eliminating two, three, and four-way shots DECREASES the skill factor.

Those rules belong in a dive bar

Last edited:

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
2 way shots are a skillful part of the game...unless you’re playing call shot call safe, then you need to choose one way or the other which is also a skillful part of the game. High percentage discision making. I like call safe for $ like someone mentioned before because it really does grind my gears (Peter..hehe) when someone dogs a shot and locks me up. An awesome thing about pool is all the different ways to play.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
It's also one of the worst.:(

I suppose you’re right if we’re talking about non players watching and understanding. But for the hard core I love it all...except the 3 point rule :wink:

I’m a fan of yours from the VEPP series. I’ve been playing for almost 3 years now and I credit those DVDs for how well I’ve come along. I bought an old Brunswick, a decent cue, and the vepp and now I’m hooked for life. So thanks :thumbup: And to the Dr as well