100 years of 14.1?

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
I happened to be watching Schmidt vs Harriman 2 on the train into work this morning. Ken Schuman is one of the commentators, and he happened to mention that 14.1 was introduced in 1910. If this is true, making this the 100 year anniversary of the game of straight pool, have there been any big tournaments or any other celebration or acknologement of this milestone year for the game?

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Mr. Hoppe: what an excellent observation. I do not know of any planned events but someone should do something.

I sent Charlie Williams a note on Facebook. He is doing the World Championship and had been talking about establishing a 14.1 Hall of Fame. The time is ripe.

Will mention to George Fels, also.

By the way, I was watching Schmidt Harriman game 1 on the train ride into Chicago today with Schuman and Putnam commentating. Small world.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Being that the beautiful game of 14.1 is 100 years old in 2010, i am gonna try my hardest to run my next 100 before 2010 is over in celebration of this great game !!!

Qstix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Being that the beautiful game of 14.1 is 100 years old in 2010, i am gonna try my hardest to run my next 100 before 2010 is over in celebration of this great game !!!

Good luck, I'd be happy to get a run of 25 :eek:

sausage

Banned
mr hoppe: are you related?!

thanks for posting this. for some reason it never crossed my mind. now i'm curious to know which nocturnal, crazed, lunatic, pool addict, invented straight pool. from the grave, he's probably having a good laugh at our expense.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Question

I am a little confused on the birth of Straight Pool.
There was a great article written by Mike Shamos for the Billiards Digest Dec. 2006. "Father of Straight Pool" (Jerome Keogh) stated tournaments were played in 1890. In case any one still have their copies of the Digest.
It's the one with John Schmidt on the cover with the Christmas hat on.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am a little confused on the birth of Straight Pool.
There was a great article written by Mike Shamos for the Billiards Digest Dec. 2006. "Father of Straight Pool" (Jerome Keogh) stated tournaments were played in 1890. In case any one still have their copies of the Digest.
It's the one with John Schmidt on the cover with the Christmas hat on.

Tournaments were played in 1890 but not with the rules as they are now, with the break ball being out of the rack. Keogh, in my avatar by the way, was responsible for the rule change, which took place in 1910.
I have the BD, my information came from The New Illustrated Encyclopedia of Billiards by Mike Shamos.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Thanks

Tournaments were played in 1890 but not with the rules as they are now, with the break ball being out of the rack. Keogh, in my avatar by the way, was responsible for the rule change, which took place in 1910.
I have the BD, my information came from The New Illustrated Encyclopedia of Billiards by Mike Shamos.

Thanks so much. I thought it had something to do with the rule of the break ball but was not sure. Appreciate the info.