1000 Ball Run

mnorwood

Moon
Silver Member
Been watching John Schmidt run balls and it made me think: I believe there are several players that could run a 1000 balls in straight pool if enough of a financial incentive existed for them to do it. Has there ever been a discussion of sponsors putting up a prize fund where players would pay a fee to break the record and the prize fund would build until it was broken making the fund an even larger incentive as players don’t make it?

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Been watching John Schmidt run balls and it made me think: I believe there are several players that could run a 1000 balls in straight pool if enough of a financial incentive existed for them to do it. Has there ever been a discussion of sponsors putting up a prize fund where players would pay a fee to break the record and the prize fund would build until it was broken making the fund an even larger incentive as players don’t make it?
You have an excellent idea going there, unfortunately, I think 14:1 has lost much of the steam and attraction it once commanded. It's my favorite game. Always was and will be and
I sincerely hope I'm wrong.
Would enuf people watch or participate in to make it worth a sponsors efforts??

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Mike Sigel has been quoted as saying "had Mosconi played on Simonis felt, he would have run 2,000." There isn't a doubt in my mind that 1,000 can be done, especially given the easy equipment that is used these days for high run attempts. Filler would seem the most likely to do it.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike Sigel has been quoted as saying "had Mosconi played on Simonis felt, he would have run 2,000." There isn't a doubt in my mind that 1,000 can be done, especially given the easy equipment that is used these days for high run attempts. Filler would seem the most likely to do it.

probably, i think he's the best straight pool player at the moment. but he incorporates the hohmann boom break to his game quite a bit, and if you're going for the record, with that many break shots, that's tempting fate. jayson was pretty consistent with steep angle breaks with conservative cb travel

fan-tum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even though a 14.1 tourney holds little interest for me, a specialty event like your idea is something I'd love to watch. But only if it were limited to 3 attempts. And not held on overly difficult equipment, say the same as used for the U.S.Open. And finally make the attempts completely beyond doubt.

Last edited:

Jedco

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I think there would be more interest if more people played straight pool. To me, record attempts feel synthetic and disconnected from the game of pool. I think if they were done in a more interactive way, like with a live stream similar to how the U.S. Open was done this year, it might get more engagement. Unless the record is broken, the attempts themselves don't hold much entertainment value.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
This has already been on the table for a few years now with the high run events an open invitation to all who can

But after shaws 714 most have all gone quiet even with a handsome prize insight no ones stepping up for 1000 except shaw

Speaks a lot to his determination

Pool players don’t want to grind and work hard they want to play 9 ball

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I think there would be more interest if more people played straight pool. To me, record attempts feel synthetic and disconnected from the game of pool. I think if they were done in a more interactive way, like with a live stream similar to how the U.S. Open was done this year, it might get more engagement. Unless the record is broken, the attempts themselves don't hold much entertainment value.
Me, too, for high run has never been the measure of straight pool greatness. Greatness is measured in titles and those who have never won a major 14.1 title are not the true greats.

In what sport is a player measured by how he/she performed on his/her single finest day? Greatness is about sustained excellence. It always has been and always will be.

Last edited:

TipWilson

Using a 5 second shot clock could make it a fun game to watch. With a couple 20 sec extensions per rack.

Stew boo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had Mosconi played on Diamond pockets, he'd barely be able to run 100 balls. Keep in mind he broke the record on an 8 ft table with 5 inch pockets

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Had Mosconi played on Diamond pockets, he'd barely be able to run 100 balls. Keep in mind he broke the record on an 8 ft table with 5 inch pockets
LOL. You think an extra foot on the table spec would turn Willie into an also ran. Today's players are doing their attempts on 5" pockets, too. Several of Willie's world championships came on the ten-footer and he had more than his share of one inning victories in competition. He also ran 309 on the ten-footer. In the one year when they had the Derby City Classic 14.1 event on the ten-footer, only one guy ran over 100, and most of the best 14.1 players were there.

As for Diamond tables, Filler and Orcullo both topped 250 on a Diamond at the Derby City 14.1 competition and Melling ran 244. Nobody in their right mind would ever suggest that any of them played even close to Mosconi's 14.1 speed.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Darren Appleton still has my vote for the longest straight pool run….200…..
Agreed, but to be fair, the race to 200 was almost non-existent in competition except in the final match of the world championships. Charlie Williams' 14.1 events had races to 200 and even 300.

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is this fee per attempt? I can't imagine anyone thinking their chances of running 1000 on any given break is worth much, even for the elite.

What would the sponsors get out of such a prize? Almost no one wants to watch that. It's a niche game in an already niche sport.

Not trying to rain on your parade. I like the idea, I'm just having a hard time seeing it actually happen.

Maybe a rich fan boy will decide to leave in his will a million dollars to someone who does a thousand-ball run. Then it'll happen within a year.

Stew boo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're kidding, right?
A little bit yeah, but I don't think simonis cloth would have helped Mosconi run 1000 balls. Any play who can run 150 balls in theory can run 1000. The real challenge is keeping your focus for that long. The high run record is more an indicator of endurance/luck than it is skill.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On an 8 foot with 5 inch pockets?

Like to see a big high run on a 9 foot Diamond.

1000 is a big ask .. 71 racks plus 6 balls.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even though a 14.1 tourney holds little interest for me, a specialty event like your idea is something I'd love to watch. But only if it were limited to 3 attempts. And not held on overly difficult equipment, say the same as used for the U.S.Open. And finally make the attempts completely beyond doubt.
People straight pool to 125 is like a race to 3 in 9 ball.

Straight pool is cool. Now a practice game anymore. I ran 168 one summer of seeing if I could break 100. I broke it 5 times.