141 or 140 Degree Corner Pockets

pw98

Registered
I am having a 8.5' table built.

The corner pockets will have somewhere between 1.75" and 2.0" shelf (I have no control over this). I want 4.25" corner pockets. The question is should I have them cut to 141 or 140 degrees?

I want them to play like a Pro-Cut Diamond in terms of what speeds they accept when the rail is hit first but with a smaller opening.

Also should I make the down angle 14 or 15 degrees?

The reason I am going with 4.25" corners instead of the standard 4.5" corners and 141 degrees is I want the table to play at similar difficulty to a pro cut diamond at the smaller size.

I have played on a 9' Diamond 4.125" corners on a 9' diamond and felt they all but removed the ability to cheat the pockets which wasn't a good thing. Would cheating the pockets on a 8.5' table with 4.125" corners be more possible than a 9' with the same pocket size?

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
140 degrees. This is what it looks like on 4.125" pockets. With a shelf depth of 1.75"-2" the smallest I would go would be 4.25".

49603456301_6bf97eb126_b.jpg

Last edited:

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.

The corner pockets will have somewhere between 1.75" and 2.0" shelf (I have no control over this). I want 4.25" corner pockets. The question is should I have them cut to 141 or 140 degrees?

I want them to play like a Pro-Cut Diamond in terms of what speeds they accept when the rail is hit first but with a smaller opening.

The reason I am going with 4.25" corners instead of the standard 4.5" corners and 141 degrees is I want the table to play at similar difficulty to a pro cut diamond at the smaller size.

I have played on a 9' Diamond 4.125" corners on a 9' diamond and felt they all but removed the ability to cheat the pockets which wasn't a good thing. Would cheating the pockets on a 8.5' table with 4.125" corners be more possible than a 9' with the same pocket size?
I have an 8.5' Olhausen. I did tons of work on the pockets to correct inconsistent factory angles. I ended up at 142 degrees and a 4 3/8" opening. 4 3/8 play plenty tough, not sure much would be gained by going 4.25" other than frustration. 4 3/8" actually lets you somewhat cheat the pocket as you can on a diamond. Poorly hit shots won't go, but well hit ones will. I guess it depends on what you like to play. One pocket will be fine with 4.25, 10 ball may be frustrating as all get out.

I'd say 141 should help the balls go, 140 even more so. Since the point of tight pockets is to make you hit well, I'd almost say 142 as they will be a bit less forgiving. I guess it depends on how much of a masochist you and any friends/family are who will be playing on it.

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
anything under 140 make any small pocket play like a vacumm sucks ball in easily. I did 7' at 139 another 137 with 4" pockets just to see if an okay player would love it and they did. 6 months later wanted it back to 141 to play normal if you want a little tougher then go to 143 like a gold crown.
may want to extend your slate deeper if going smaller in pocket size in order to keep the deep shelf.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Who's building the table?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
141 degrees. This is what it looks like on 4.125" pockets. With a shelf depth of 1.75"-2" the smallest I would go would be 4.25".

49603456301_6bf97eb126_b.jpg
At 4 1/8" poxket openings, I switch to 140 miter angles, which opens the throat of the pocket by 1/8" inches so the ball pocketing acts pretty much the same as with bigger pockets with 141 miter angles.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At 4 1/8" poxket openings, I switch to 140 miter angles, which opens the throat of the pocket by 1/8" inches so the ball pocketing acts pretty much the same as with bigger pockets with 141 miter angles.
Not sure where I got 141 from but I just measured them and read my notes from Steve and they are cut to 140 degrees.