15-Ball Rotation is a good drill for position

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
One of the things I’ve noticed watching the top players from the Philippines play is that they have no fear of going through a small window in a cluster of balls to get better position. Most players from the US and other countries avoid the clusters and take a wide birth around them, taking what they can get on position. This is because of all the 15-ball rotation they play, where there is almost always a cluster to deal with for most of the game. Johnnyt
 
I remember hearing the story, on accustats, about when Efren first came to the states. He would warm up for his matches with racks of rotation, and they would side bet on whether or not he would get out. So if he had a shot on the one ball, they would bet even money that he would run the whole rack of rotation. How strong is that!!!
 
Last edited:
One of the things I’ve noticed watching the top players from the Philippines play is that they have no fear of going through a small window in a cluster of balls to get better position. Most players from the US and other countries avoid the clusters and take a wide birth around them, taking what they can get on position. This is because of all the 15-ball rotation they play, where there is almost always a cluster to deal with for most of the game. Johnnyt

I play it for practice, and it's very good for position play and CB control in general. It also demands a wide variety of shots and extended concentration - but not as much thinking as games like straight and 1 pocket. I enjoy the non-thinking aspect of it for practice - it allows greater immersion in the mechanics of aiming and shooting and it's quick so you shoot a lot.

But no single game exercises all skills to the same degree, so I like to also practice 1 pocket, 14.1 and 8 ball, both for the mental exercise and for the shots and tactics unique to them. Maybe when I retire I'll take up 3-cushion too - I think that's the game that could teach me the most now.

pj
chgo
 
But no single game exercises all skills to the same degree, so I like to also practice 1 pocket, 14.1 and 8 ball, both for the mental exercise and for the shots and tactics unique to them. Maybe when I retire I'll take up 3-cushion too - I think that's the game that could teach me the most now.

pj
chgo
Well put, I find rotation gets me back into the swing of things faster after extended breaks from playing. But for the aspect of focus and position play i like 14.1. Plus rotation is one of the koreans favorite game to gamble on 500 won a ball 1,000 on the 15, and if you foul its a 1,000 won penalty they call it pocket bol though.
 
I remember hearing the story, on accustats, about when Efren first came to the states. He would warm up for his matches with racks of rotation, and they would side bet on whether or not he would get out. So if he had a shot on the one ball, they would bet even money that he would run the whole rack of rotation. How strong is that!!!


I also remember reading it here that Efren and Luat used to practise rotation with two sets of balls! :eek: You can just imagine how hard to maneuver the cb in those situation. No wonder they are so good in dealing with clusters.
IMO, rotation is a great way to practise to improve your game.
 
Back
Top