1912-2020 - A tribute to every 14.1 World Champion

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
What a great tribute!!! And what a great ending!

1605821837684.png

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I was pleased to see in the intro they acknowledge that continuous pool started each new rack with a safety break. That said, they did attempt the open break at times and there are reports of multi-rack runs in challenge matches. But the change to 14.1 was intended to keep the game's offensive, not mired in constant safety play and provide better players with an advantage. Interestingly, Keogh's, original concept called for the rack to alternate ends of the table on each rack. I'm glad they opted not to go that route because I can barely run the balls as it is!

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We are working on a big 14.1 action match between two of the guys on this list.

John Schmidt "Mister 600" vs Thorsten Hohmann The Hitman

Both players have been contacted and are on board with the match.

They are talking about playing a race to 1500 over three days.

Hopefully all the details can be worked out and we get to see a great match between these two.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Very cool! What happened between 1991 and 2005?
There have been just three sanctioned world 14.1 championships in the last 30 years. The event was not held from 1991-2005, but returned in 2006. I believe that the last sanctioned World 14.1 Championship was in 2008. Subsequent winners of the Dragon event which Charlie Williams inexplicably and inexcusably called the World Championship were not World 14.1 Champions at all.

A better name for the Youtube in the original post would have been "World 14.1 champions and some who weren't"

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
We are working on a big 14.1 action match between two of the guys on this list.

John Schmidt "Mister 600" vs Thorsten Hohmann The Hitman

Both players have been contacted and are on board with the match.

They are talking about playing a race to 1500 over three days.

Hopefully all the details can be worked out and we get to see a great match between these two.
Yes, that would be worth watching for sure. Count me in for the pay-per-view.

Raceto9

There have been just three sanctioned world 14.1 championships in the last 30 years. The event was not held from 1991-2005, but returned in 2006. I believe that the last sanctioned World 14.1 Championship was in 2008. Subsequent winners of the Dragon event which Charlie Williams inexplicably and inexcusably called the World Championship were not World 14.1 Champions at all.

A better name for the Youtube in the original post would have been "World 14.1 champions and some who weren't"
Ohh that is very interesting, I did a lot of research for this video but never came accross that fact! Thanks for sharing!
I might add a little note on my video (y)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Very cool! What happened between 1991 and 2005?
You could argue that the US Open in 2000 qualifies to be on that list if the criteria are significant world-wide participation and the strongest field that year in 14.1. On the other hand, some on the list don't belong in that group.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
You could argue that the US Open in 2000 qualifies to be on that list if the criteria are significant world-wide participation and the strongest field that year in 14.1. On the other hand, some on the list don't belong in that group.
Agreed, Bob. I remember sweating a couple of matches with you at the 2000 event. Souquet topped an absolute killer field in that event. The 1999 American 14.1 Championships also featured a very elite field that included Steve Mizerak, Allen Hopkins, Dick Lane, Dallas West, Roger Griffis, and some other world beaters. George "Ginky" San Souci, quite unexpectedly, beat them all in that one.

The Dragon event, from 2009 onward, in a typical year, offered a field that, in my view, was no stronger than that found at the European Straight Pool Championships.

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

You beat me to it.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice video. It was obvious it took you a lot of time to put it together. It is cool to highlight those players from the past with the current players as well.

Count me in for that challenge match between John and Thorsten. That would be great. How cool would it be for John to run 626 or more in that match?

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I'm with Brian. I love watching straight pool and would be very interested in a long match between John and Thorsten.