> *>* 1970's Bumperless Block Letter JOSS Hoppe *<*<

macneilb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of my favorite old school cues. Still has both the original Cortland Linen and the original ivory ferrule. It still shoots nice and smooth ;)

attachment.php


attachment.php


attachment.php


attachment.php


attachment.php


attachment.php
 
Last edited:
That's a great looking cue. I would use that as an everyday player. Those old Joss cues were just predictable when it came to hit and play. They gave no suprises in play but got the job done.
 
I'm not usually a fan on bumperless...but how can one object to a timeless classic such as this! She's a beauty for sure! I can hear her screaming "Play me, play me, play me!!!" :wink:
 
i just saw the pictures for this cue on facebook yesterday.. i must say that Scot Sherbine did an absolute amazing job.. the cue is amazing!

chris
 
Scot earned his money on that one. I would have never thought that cue would turn out looking so good compared to the before pics. Great looking cue.
 
Not a huge bumperless fan, but that cue is beautiful! Very classy!
Thank you for sharing
 
Thank you for the compliments guys. I've had the cue for awhile now. I was out in Michigan at Anazeh Sands picking up a shaft and I heard someone was selling an old Joss out up near Gibraltar MI, so I drove a couple hours out to check it out. I didn't have high hopes, but I figured it was worth a look. When I first saw the cue, I thought I was right in my skepticism as the finish was almost completely worn off the forearm, and the butt had a lot of dings and minor dents from years of use. It was an old school block letter era Joss though. The wear wasn't a big deal as almost all of it was only surface wear and not into the wood, except the finish around the Hoppe ring was worn, which had allowed the ink around the logo to start to fade. After I picked it up I didn't bother to get it refinished as I was playing with it alot and figured I'd get around to it at some point :rolleyes:. Eventually, I sent it to Scot over at Proficient who clearly did an amazing job. To be honest, I sent it in to him not because I cared about the worn look of the cue (I actually liked it that way), but because I didn't want the logo on the ivory Hoppe ring to fade anymore than it already had. These old Joss' are prone to losing their logos easily over the years, especially when the etching isn't that deep, or they get a shoddy refinish, etc. When I talked to Scot, my only request aside from refinishing the cue and cleaning the shaft was to be extra careful around the logo and possibly darken the ink (the etching was still clear and deep, only the ink had faded) if possible. He did that and then some as you can see. I can't say enough great things about his work. Anyways, thanks again for the kind words :smile:
 
If you ever want to sell it, please let me know. I have several block letters but not a Hoppe. Beautiful cue.
 
Back
Top