1996 Seniors tour

middleofnowhere

Registered
Steve stole my Szamboti cue that I had loaned to Keith, who went on to win the BC Open and $25,000 playing with it. The story of how I got it back is in my book and I also told it on the Gambling With An Edge podcast I did a couple of weeks ago. I do another podcast tomorrow, 10 AM PST. .
Steve was a crook no doubt. He once showed up in miami with a new Cadillac. It was a drive away car that instead of delivering he just kept it.

People often packed those cars with belongings that of course Steve sold in the pool room. I think after a time he just left it somewhere to be found.

middleofnowhere

Registered
Steve stole my Szamboti cue that I had loaned to Keith, who went on to win the BC Open and $25,000 playing with it. The story of how I got it back is in my book and I also told it on the Gambling With An Edge podcast I did a couple of weeks ago. I do another podcast tomorrow, 10 AM PST. .
I just was listening to that interview with you where you tell the story about the stolen cue. You refer to him by the name of Jerry. Are we talking about the same guy Big Steve Melnis, not sure of the spelling of his last name. Or you just doing some quick mental editing so as not to actually use his real name in the interview?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just was listening to that interview with you where you tell the story about the stolen cue. You refer to him by the name of Jerry. Are we talking about the same guy Big Steve Melnis, not sure of the spelling of his last name. Or you just doing some quick mental editing so as not to actually use his real name in the interview?
Yeah, I just forgot his name at that moment. Steve The Whale is Steve Melnyk. He died of AIDS in the early 90's. When Grady announced his death at a pool tournament everyone cheered!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
In the New York City area, the names "Steve the Whale" and "Big Steve" referred to the same guy, who weighed well over 300 pounds. In the 1980s, he had a habit of falling asleep in the bleachers of the Golden Q poolroom in Queens, NY, sometimes for several hours at a time.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I just forgot his name at that moment. Steve The Whale is Steve Melnyk. He died of AIDS in the early 90's. When Grady announced his death at a pool tournament everyone cheered!
The name Steve Melnyk also belongs to a golfer who was a top amateur, then a PGA Tour pro, and then a TV announcer. Still alive.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
the whale was actually a very funny guy and on the surface seemed like an okay guy. and added to the pool room environment of those days, but his living was stealing from anyone who he wasn't afraid of.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just finished watching this match- thoroughly enjoyed it. Great production quality considering it was 25 years ago.

Sweet was playing very well, but choked in the end unfortunately- seems like he got a bit nervous.

Mizerak could still play even though he was VERY overweight. G

Great commentary too- always enjoy the banter between Matthews and Incardona

BFC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice match to watch. Thanks for sharing. Just picked this up recently for my future home pool room.
363df2f7059c20c495fba480a2833501.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there - One of the members of this first tour - Jim Currie (bottom row, far right), is looking to purchase one of these (as his was destroyed accidentally). Wonder if you'd part with it, or if anyone knows where another could be found? He'd even take a copy of a copy he said.

Last edited: