2007-your Man In Manila

BlowFish

Pinoy D-Player
Silver Member
Jay, we never really did talk long. It was nice meeting you anyways. Thanx for that lovely OB-1 shaft. That shaft plays great. I just need to make adjustments as I'm always overhitting with that darn thing. ;)

P.S. I have some interesting picture of Jay. I'll post it sometime this weekend as I need to report to work first thing in the morning. It's 45 past mid-nite now.

BlowFish

Pinoy D-Player
Silver Member
Sorry guys, I lied. ;) I have to post this rightaway. :D

Our man in Manila surely had the best seat in the house during the finals match between D. Peach and R. Gomez. I hope he doesn't mind me posting it.

P1020052a.jpg

P1020054a.jpg

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
BlowFish said:

Our man in Manila surely had the best seat in the house during the finals match between D. Peach and R. Gomez. I hope he doesn't mind me posting it.

P1020052a.jpg

P1020054a.jpg

I've been to the Philippines and have met many Filipino players. This guy looks familiar but I can't place him. What is his Filipino name?
JoeyA

yobagua

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JOey thanks for the picture. It shows that when people refer to "Toupee" Jay, people are going "WHO?" Love the "Peach" look Jay.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
BlowFish said:

P1020052a.jpg

P1020054a.jpg

BUSTED! The arena was packed, not a seat in the house. Must have been close to 2,000 people jammed all around this table. And all hoping for a repeat win by a filipino. It was not to be, as Gomez just didn't have the right stuff to take it off. And believe me he had his chances.

Consequently the reception on the streets was muted. If Gomez had won, they would still be celebrating. This was a disppointment for a nation of pool lovers. Roberto woiuld have been KING around here and he knows it. I hope for his sake he can recover from this heartbreaking loss.

About halfway thru the final, I went into the Commentators room and sat behind Jerry Forsyth, Nick Halling and Bob Guerrero. They did a great job with a rather poorly played match. In case you haven't heard him, Jerry is great on the "mic". He has a good voice and a nice American perspective on things. He uses all the terminology we are used to over here. And the international audience is surely getting used to hearing words like "hooked", "dead ball", "a hangar", "dead stroke", "kick shot", "billiard" (and not carom), "pocket speed", "drawing the ball", "follow" and so on. Our American slant on pool is slowly becoming the norm for audiences everywhere. And when foreign players talk to me and use "our" terms it somehow makes me feel good.

Bob Guerrero is terrific on giving us a filipino slant to things. How this country and the audience is viewing the proceedings. What they're thinking and how they will react. And he's usually right on too. Nick Halling is just one damn fine commentator. He is from England (Go Peach!) and does a multitude of sports over there. I have never seen a non pool person pick up the game so quickly and make such intelligent comments on what's happening out there. He is the lead anchor on the show and rightly so. He seems to have the knack for finding the right thing to say at just the right moment. He keeps himself wired in to the situation and the mood of the players. I love working with him, and hope to again in the future. If only he could do pool in the USA. The ratings would go way up, that's for sure.

Also accolades must go to George Greene, Beth and Jo and the entire television crew. They all work their butt off every day to make these shows available to about half the planet to see. Anthony, Uday and Georgina do some great interviews as well, and give us interesting insights into what we can expect to see on each show. Besides they are all movie star handsome. Don't tell Georgina but I have a crush on her. She is gorgeous! These people don't get mentioned enough. But without them it would be more ordinary fare like we get spoon feed in the USA. This is real pool the way it is meant to be seen. I am proud to play a small role in the proceedings.

Last edited:

JoeyA

Silver Member
Paparazzi

yobagua said:
JOey thanks for the picture. It shows that when people refer to "Toupee" Jay, people are going "WHO?" Love the "Peach" look Jay.

Sorry I can't take credit for that Kodak moment. The Paparazzi was BLOWFISH, this time.
JoeyA

yobagua

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are so right Jay. I get all the DVD from the snooker tournaments from BBC and also the WPC stuff as well. The camerwork and commentary is so good and informative that it makes our ESPN look real lame. They really have a reverential perspective of cue sports and dont demean it with cutesy commercial nonsense.

Kyo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was very frustrated at the amount of commercials. I think someone mentioned it was in total hours worth compared to live play.

Playing 1 rack, commercial and then another. commercial became very irritating. :mad:

BlowFish

Pinoy D-Player
Silver Member
Kyo said:
I was very frustrated at the amount of commercials. I think someone mentioned it was in total hours worth compared to live play.

Playing 1 rack, commercial and then another. commercial became very irritating. :mad:

Do you honestly think you'll get this on TV without commercials?

Enough said.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kyo said:

I understand the need for commercials, but I think I can safely say that we were all a little tired of:

GREAT MOVE, GREAT BEER.
GREAT MOVE, GREAT BEER.
GREAT MOVE, GREAT BEER!

I know San Miguel was a major sponsor of the WPC coverage, but geesh, it would have been nice to have more than one commercial.

At every commercial break, they played this same San Miguel commercial TWICE, once at the beginning of the commercial break and once at the end of the commercial break.

Love the picture of Jay Helfert. He truly did have the best seat in the house! LOL! :D

JAM

Kyo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BlowFish said:
Do you honestly think you'll get this on TV without commercials?

Enough said.

That isn't what i said. :rolleyes:

You will get commercials to a degree as they are sponsors etc, however i just thought the frequency of commercials between racks was a tad excessive. As Jam mentioned it was the same ones that kept coming around almost in between every rack at one point.

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BlowFish said:
Nothing beats the fly-eye view. :D
...and the truth finally comes out, the secret to the soft break!

I always heard Corey keeps a jar of flies in his pocket at tournaments...

gopi-1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
axejunkie said:
...and the truth finally comes out, the secret to the soft break!

I always heard Corey keeps a jar of flies in his pocket at tournaments...

Actually, that's one of those domesticated trained flies that the Filipinos will
unleash everytime a foreigner is going to shoot at the table. Pinoy sharking
style, subtle, but effective! :D

JohnPT

"Prove it!"
Silver Member
It was either suffer the commercials or pay-per-view. Non-pool-aficionados would never pay to watch pool and not even majority of pool aficionados would spend on pay-per-view WPC, US Open or otherwise. How many million people watched the WPC? Only couple thousand would've seen it had it been pay-per-view.

Last edited:

JoeyA

Silver Member
JohnPT said:
It was either suffer the commercials or pay-per-view. Non pool aficionados would ever pay to watch pool and not even majority of pool aficionados would spend on pay-per-view WPC, US Open or otherwise. How many million people watched the WPC? Only couple thousand would've seen it had it been pay-per-view.

Bring on the commercials. Their ads cost big bucks. Bring on the repeat commercials. They reinforce the advertising message. Big advertising bucks mean pool players get paid real money.

I FEEL LIKE DRINKING A SAN MIGUEL BEER.

JoeyA

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
yobagua said:
You are so right Jay. I get all the DVD from the snooker tournaments from BBC and also the WPC stuff as well. The camerwork and commentary is so good and informative that it makes our ESPN look real lame. They really have a reverential perspective of cue sports and dont demean it with cutesy commercial nonsense.

As commentators, we are not instructed to plug any sponsors. That is all done on the regular commercial breaks, the way it should be. I would on occasion mention the tough and good playing Brunswick Metros with the Simoniz cloth, because to me that is part of the story. And every player was "required" to wear a San Miguel patch on their shirt, as one of the prime sponsors.

By the way, I made a long post about Angeles City in the thread on the main forum entitled "Jay Just Called". If someone can figure out how to put it on here, please do so. Thanks.

My new pool nickname,
"Toupee Jay Without The Toupee". Do you like it?

I guess by now the match with Shane and Earl is getting ready to start or has already. I am curious how that will go.

jeffwinters

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
As commentators, we are not instructed to plug any sponsors. That is all done on the regular commercial breaks, the way it should be. I would on occasion mention the tough and good playing Brunswick Metros with the Simoniz cloth, because to me that is part of the story. And every player was "required" to wear a San Miguel patch on their shirt, as one of the prime sponsors.

By the way, I made a long post about Angeles City in the thread on the main forum entitled "Jay Just Called". If someone can figure out how to put it on here, please do so. Thanks.

My new pool nickname,
"Toupee Jay Without The Toupee". Do you like it?

I guess by now the match with Shane and Earl is getting ready to start or has already. I am curious how that will go.
jay helfert said:
Just one visit to Angeles City and you will never be the same. There are no taboos here and just about everything is accepted openly. In many ways better than the restrictive culture of America, where almost all forms of behavior are questioned by one group or another. Yes, it is a culture shock when you arrive here and see countless middle aged men walking down the street hand in hand with a lovely young beauty (or two). The women here are openly friendly and hopeful of meeting an American man for friendship and a possible relationship.

None of that cat and mouse game you play at bars in America. If a girl likes you, she lets you know. And you can feel comnfortable to walk up and talk to any single woman you see. They will not reject you, and even if they have a boy friend, they will inform you right away. It's no wonder so many ex-pats are living over here. And the fact you can rent a nice apartment for $200 to $300 a month! A house mught cost you four to five hundred. With the streets lined with bars, and a motley crew of refugees from all over the world walking around, you would think there would be trouble aplenty. NOT THE CASE at all!

There are NO fights over women because there are so many available. And no fights over money, because everyone feels rich over here. I just had a big breakfast (American style) for under $3. And my nice hotel room here is costing me about $22 a day. And everywhere guys walk around with a pool cue on their arm. Last night I played with Singapore Johnny, the best player in Angeles, except for the pro Rolando Garcia. Many people watched us spar, he was a former sub on Singapore's Asian Games team. He was a top flight Snooker player before taking up pool when he arrived here 14 years ago. We played 9-Ball on a good Kangeroo (filipino) table, which resembles a Gold Crown.

I had trouble adjusting to the cloth, which was some off brand, and the table speed baffled me even after two hours of play. What happened to the old Jay who could figure out any table in 30 minutes or less? We played Ring Game Ten Ball first with Darryl Nordquist and a man named Dave from the U.S. I know Darryl from years ago in Long Beach, CA where he was one of the better players. His wife is filipino and they have lived here over 15 years now. He is the second best player in town after Johnny. Dave looks like a guy who has played pool all his life and must have been a reasonably good bar table player once upon a time. That's how I read him.

I think I may have come out on top in the Ring Game along with Johnny, so we made a date to meet that night in the local pool hall called Horizons. I know I backtracked a little here. Horizons also had a Kangeroo table, that was the one I had trouble adjusting too. And Johnny pummelled me in 9-Ball, probably winning two thirds of the games. No bet was involved, only citywide supremacy. :) I am NOT the best player in Angeles! It's Johnny. Someone asked me if I play for money and would I be willing to play Johnny. I said he could bet what he wanted at One Pocket or Banks. End of conversation.

I hope I don't offend anyone with my tales of Angeles City, but I try to tell it just like I see it. No holds barred. I am staying just around the corner from where Ted Lerner lives, my co-commentator on the recent WPC TV shows. He has a nice 3BR house where he lives with his lovely wife Aurora (filipino) and 13 year old daughter Shanti. He first visited 17 years ago and has lived here for 14 years now. He has encouraged me to think of a move here, but my family and business in the states make that impossible now. Maybe some day. I like it here, not quite so crowded and much cleaner air. And far less expensive than Manila.

hope this would do :)

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
BlowFish said:
Nothing beats the fly-eye view. :D

P1010943a.jpg

P1010944a.jpg

P1010945a.jpg

P1010946a.jpg

P1020058a.jpg

The flies were a constant problem on the TV tables. I think the banks of hot lights may have attracted them. There were 44 (I counted them) four foot, slim fluorescent tubes over TV table two (the one I worked on), and 88 of them over TV table one (the main table). They throw off a lot of light and make these two tables play different than the other six tables. Players and officials were constantly shooing the flies away. Maybe some fly paper (hanging next to the lights) of some kind is needed in these two arenas.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
jeffwinters said:
hope this would do :)

Thanks Jeff. I'm in the lobby of the SunMoon Hotel now, dabbing away on their computer. For hotel guests the charge to use the computer is 25p an hour, about 60 cents. Who needs a laptop here at those prices. There are internet shops lining the streets, all charging similar prices. I amd staying right off Perimeter Road, across from the old Clark Air Force base. It was handed over to the Philippine governement in 1993.

On the base they built a huge mega mall, with hundreds of stores, and even a movie theater. I went to see Balls Of Fury last night. FUNNY! The mall is very clean (they have people whose only job is to walk around with a whisk broom and clean) and not as crowded as malls in Manila. And the prices run about .25 cents on the dollar for what you would pay for something in the states. I paid 100p each for two movie tickets. About $2.35 a ticket.

I could get very lazy and comfy over here. But I have a book to finish and I'm headed for the Mosconi Cup in December. And then Derby City in January. I may come back early next year for some Asian Pacific Tour events. We'll see what time allows.