2007-your Man In Manila

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
spinster said:
What else can you make of that? Plus intentionally or not, it even sounds like a promotion for sex tourism. That's my take anyway.

He wasn't saying mistresses, he said wives. It's a given it's not illegal to have mistress/es anywhere so he wouldnt have to point out the legality of it if he wasnt really referring to actual wives and I doubt he was strictly referring to Muslims. His saying that is a false reflection of the status of women in this country.

This is a country with millions of hardworking women who do make a decent living, where 50 percent of senior corporate positions are held by women, where the global average is only in the low 20s. But you read his tales of hired women and how it's perfectly legal to have multiple wives, and what kind of picture do you go away with? I'm sorry but any Filipina reading what he says can't help but be slighted.

It is true that many positions of power in the Philippines are held be women, who tend to be better educated than their male counterparts. They have a female President currently. My overall observation is that many of the things that we suppress in American society and culture are allowed to openly exist in the Philippines. There is no talk about gay marriage over there, because gays can live openly and without being ostracized. What happens behind closed doors in the USA, is accepted openly in the Philippines.

Take gambling for existence. You can bet all you want in a Philippine poolroom and no one is going to come in and arrest you. In fact, I've seen the cops making wagers on matches. In many ways I like the openess of their culture. I bet you one thing for sure. There are far fewer rapes and assaults against women over there. And I do not see wealthy people looking down their noses at the "working" class people either. Everyone rubs shoulders a little too closely for that.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
How about on the front page of your own newspapers when a major politican was just buried (the one who was assasinated in Quezon City), and all four of his wives are shown in mourning for him. They were clearly identified as wife #1, wife #2, wife #3 and wife #4. I guess you haven't seen the hundreds of clubs that dot the landscape of Manila and Angeles City. Each club is full of filipina girls hoping to find foreign boyfriends. Money is rarely discussed either, that is strictly a matter of the generosity of each man.

These are the "facts" and it is an accepted part of life in the Philippines...
Please don't generalize Jay. The entire country and population is much more than what you observe from Filipino politicians, Manila, and Angeles City.

I appreciate your pool updates, and I enjoy them very much. But I feel you are doing a disservice to the Filipino people by summing up the entire country and population from your observations and experiences in the big cities. I know it's not your intention, and I don't really blame you. But next year, you should visit the "provinces" and get a glimpse of what true Filipino life and identity is all about.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Back to pool! My last two days in the Philippines and I went 10-0! Not bad for a shortstop from far, far away. I won all four of my league matches at the Butterfly Club in Angeles City and then had a three hour layover at the Southern Cross Hotel in Manila (It's in the Ermita area near the U.S. Embassy). Like many hotels and restaurants, they had a 9' pool table in the bar area.

So naturally I must challenge the table. The board has a few names above mine so I am forced to wait patiently while one guy keeps winning. I end up having to play him, and it turns out he is from Australia. Many Aussies in the Philippines. We play a strategic game of Eight Ball and I finally win. Then I keep on winning and after a few games I notice the large chalkboard beside the table. If you can win six games in a row you get your name on the board and a free drink and shirt.

One fellow who is waiting to play (another Aussie) is dissecting my play loud enough for me to hear. He is criticqueing whether I am shooting the right shot and how well I have executed it. Then I hear him talking about how he "teaches" his students. Oh, so he's an instructor too. How cool! And guess what, he's next on deck. This is the guy I want!

I break and run out on him down to the last ball (on a tough table by the way), but am forced to play safe. Mr. Instructor now tells me he isn't sure whether to shoot or play safe. Music to my ears. He's intimidated. I win that game and one more and then I have to quit. Seems you can only play six games in a row in there. So If you live in Manila, and go anywhere near the Southern Cross Hotel, stop in and you will see JAY - USA - 11/19/07 on the board. That's me! It will remain up until the end of November.

So for one night at the Butterfly and one afternoon at the Southern Cross I was THE MAN! People congratulated me and told me that I played good or asked me if I was a pro. And yes, girls smiled at me. And you know what. That is what has driven me to continue to play pool all these years. That little bit of acclaim and recognition drives me as much today as it did 40 years ago in Dayton, Ohio when the big boys finally gave me my due.

I know that I'm not a champion player. I grew up with the generation of Buddy, the Miz, Rempe, Dallas West, Lou Butera, Varner, Hopkins, the Fuscos, Cookie Monster etc. I knew early on that I was no match for these guys. Put simply, they had a bigger game than me. Oh sure, I was good enough to cash in most tourneys I played in (usually going 2-2), but I am and was a "B" player. The Digest once did an article devoted to the B players, the fillers at major tournaments. And I was one of the guys they featured there.

Maybe it is time to put this column to rest for awhile. I just got in last night after another 12 hour flight (and a 20 hour journey). So I need to catch up on my work here. Hope you all enjoyed reading about my travels to the "heartland" of pool, THE PHILiPPINES!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
jsp said:
Please don't generalize Jay. The entire country and population is much more than what you observe from Filipino politicians, Manila, and Angeles City.

I appreciate your pool updates, and I enjoy them very much. But I feel you are doing a disservice to the Filipino people by summing up the entire country and population from your observations and experiences in the big cities. I know it's not your intention, and I don't really blame you. But next year, you should visit the "provinces" and get a glimpse of what true Filipino life and identity is all about.

I am very much aware that I am seeing only one narrow view of the filipino culture, but no question it is interesting from an American's perspective. Perhaps next time, I will get to visit Cebu, Boracay and Palawan. I hope so.

By the way, I'm one American who is not afraid to walk down the back alleys and mingle with the people. I eat from their food stalls, and have played basketball on their hoops mounted on a wall. I have played pool in those little poolrooms with one and two tables, sometimes outdoors under a tin patio cover (while it was raining). I do not stay cloistered in a hotel room, and only visit the mega malls and high class hotels and spas. It just ain't my style. I truly like and enjoy the filipino people. After four visits I find them outgoing and friendly, almost across the board. In many ways, I enjoy my time over there more than I do mingling with the fat cats in L.A. I've done my share of hobnobbing in Beverly Hills and the Westside. And the rich folks there tend to be standoffish and snotty.

I'd rather hang around in a poolroom in South L.A. and laugh and joke about everything and anything. So yes, I feel right at home in the Philippines, thank you. :)

Last edited:

yobagua

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"And the women seem to enjoy this as much as the men do. No one is forcing them to do anything. They openly flaunt their relationships with foreigners and are proud to be seen with us. If there is some hidden agenda here (other than perhaps a desire to relocate to another country), then I would like to know. You are the first filipino to criticize me for getting involved with a filipina girl. By the way, I met Mikaela in a restaurant. It is not necessary to meet girls in bars or clubs. You can meet them in any mall or just walking down the street."

I dont criticize you for anything Jay but you must know you are seeing it from a foreigners perspective. Sure they are "proud". There was a time when certain slaves in America that worked in good jobs for the master were proud of their position. Its not just a desire to relocate but the opportunity that they are willing to sell themselves for.
Coming from a country that was colonized and annexed by military authority we see that from a different perspective. THose who have the toys are the winners. Of our land, resources, and our women.
Love who you want. That's not my business. But I hope you dont think its love alone.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
yobagua said:
"And the women seem to enjoy this as much as the men do. No one is forcing them to do anything. They openly flaunt their relationships with foreigners and are proud to be seen with us. If there is some hidden agenda here (other than perhaps a desire to relocate to another country), then I would like to know. You are the first filipino to criticize me for getting involved with a filipina girl. By the way, I met Mikaela in a restaurant. It is not necessary to meet girls in bars or clubs. You can meet them in any mall or just walking down the street."

I dont criticize you for anything Jay but you must know you are seeing it from a foreigners perspective. Sure they are "proud". There was a time when certain slaves in America that worked in good jobs for the master were proud of their position. Its not just a desire to relocate but the opportunity that they are willing to sell themselves for.
Coming from a country that was colonized and annexed by military authority we see that from a different perspective. THose who have the toys are the winners. Of our land, resources, and our women.
Love who you want. That's not my business. But I hope you dont think its love alone.

I don't have blinders on. And I have no desire to take any of the resources from your land. I am very thankful for the gifts I receive when I am there.

yojan17

jay helfert said:
How about on the front page of your own newspapers when a major politican was just buried (the one who was assasinated in Quezon City), and all four of his wives are shown in mourning for him. They were clearly identified as wife #1, wife #2, wife #3 and wife #4.

He was a Muslim so he can have as many wives as he could support. ;)

bhoytam

Banned
don't get hurt if foriengner screw pinay ladies its normal,
i went to germany,sigapore,thailand,malaysia and screw thier girls
its the same everywhere prostitute is all over the place

chambalero

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bhoytam said:
don't get hurt if foriengner screw pinay ladies its normal,
i went to germany,sigapore,thailand,malaysia and screw thier girls
its the same everywhere prostitute is all over the place

no wonder you're like that. your brain is infected with venereal disease.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
I am very much aware that I am seeing only one narrow view of the filipino culture, but no question it is interesting from an American's perspective. Perhaps next time, I will get to visit Cebu, Boracay and Palawan. I hope so.

By the way, I'm one American who is not afraid to walk down the back alleys and mingle with the people. I eat from their food stalls, and have played basketball on their hoops mounted on a wall. I have played pool in those little poolrooms with one and two tables, sometimes outdoors under a tin patio cover (while it was raining). I do not stay cloistered in a hotel room, and only visit the mega malls and high class hotels and spas. It just ain't my style. I truly like and enjoy the filipino people. After four visits I find them outgoing and friendly, almost across the board. In many ways, I enjoy my time over there more than I do mingling with the fat cats in L.A. I've done my share of hobnobbing in Beverly Hills and the Westside. And the rich folks there tend to be standoffish and snotty.

I'd rather hang around in a poolroom in South L.A. and laugh and joke about everything and anything. So yes, I feel right at home in the Philippines, thank you. :)

Jay, I think most people know that you are reporting what you see and experience and are not speaking for every person that visits or lives in the Philippines. Your stories and reports appear to be fair, honest, interesting and informative as most of your communications always are.

As I once traveled abroad a bit, I too enjoyed mingling with the locals rather than going to the tourist destinations. I didn't mind walking into an entirely Japanese restaurant, looking embarassed but hungry and would get my point across easily and apparently with pleasing favor as the hostess would take my order and my money right out of my hand without me having to make a count. :p

In the Philippines, I enjoyed walking on the wild side, riding with the locals in their colorful mini-vehicles that dotted Alongapo street, visiting bars unknown. As a serviceman we were warned that riding with these "street-wise" hustlers, we could have "problems". I had none and gave none and found the Philippino people willing to share in their joy of life openly and freely without animosiy. In Hong Kong, it was the same, while many servicemen enjoyed going to the bars designed for servicemen, I asked a Chinese girl to take me to Kowloon (where servicemen were not as welcomed). We traveled on ferries but I always handled myself as a gentleman and treated all I met with respect and received the same in kind regardless of their predisposition of this "Ugly American".

I have traveled in our own home town to areas of town exclusively black and sat at the table ordering the blue plate special of the day alongside of an entirely black client base except for me and my pal. Never had a problem and enjoyed my visits wherever I go.

I believe that when people of any nationality see that you are there to learn, appreciate and sample their lifestyle they are willing to overlook some other ignorant American who may have come before you and had embarassed himself with a holier than thou attitude.

Thanks for your unique perspectives in your travels.

It was fun "being there" with you.
JoeyA

BlowFish

Pinoy D-Player
Silver Member
That's the right attitude there JoeyA. You should have contacted us AZB'ers in HK and would have shown you around too. :)

JoeyA

Silver Member
BlowFish said:
That's the right attitude there JoeyA. You should have contacted us AZB'ers in HK and would have shown you around too. :)

I was so amazed the first time I went into one of those big open markets in Hong Kong. I saw people eating soup with chop sticks who were dishing it down faster than I could with a ladle. :D I joined in with them but they just giggled at my ineptness. :p

There used to be a German fellow that I talked to regularly on RSB years ago who purchased and sold many fine cues. He as a IT manager for a Bank In Hong Kong. He played in a couple of tournaments and always had NICE cues. Do you know who I'm talking about? He may have gone back to Germany. He was married at least for a while and I think he had a baby girl with his wife.

JoeyA

BlowFish

Pinoy D-Player
Silver Member
I've been here 16yrs now. I got back into pool for the past 5yrs only. There is only 1 collector I know here in HK and it's AZB'er Kam Daswani. I know a couple of German guys here, but I don't really asked about their cue collection or if they have any. You can PM me his name if you feel like it. :)

Boro Nut

Moderrator
Silver Member
JoeyA said:
I was so amazed the first time I went into one of those big open markets in Hong Kong. I saw people eating soup with chop sticks who were dishing it down faster than I could with a ladle. :D I joined in with them but they just giggled at my ineptness. :p
I'm not surprised, it's a standing joke in HK. Tourists who order soup get two chopsticks. Locals just get the normal bamboo straws.

Boro Nut

Boro Nut

Moderrator
Silver Member
chambalero said:
no wonder you're like that. your brain is infected with venereal disease.
I'm relieved to see I'm not the only one who received their sex education from nuns. I can't tell you how relieved I was to eventually find out the truth from a properly qualified prozzy. It's not that easy stretching a johnny over your ears.

Boro Nut

JoeyA

Silver Member
BlowFish said:
I've been here 16yrs now. I got back into pool for the past 5yrs only. There is only 1 collector I know here in HK and it's AZB'er Kam Daswani. I know a couple of German guys here, but I don't really asked about their cue collection or if they have any. You can PM me his name if you feel like it. :)

I'm sorry, I don't remember his name but he was very candid about his cue collection.
JoeyA