2008 Women's 9-ball Championships

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I take it Vivian and Monica didn't want to go to Taiei to play for the USA. Johnnyt
 
There is a story on www.insidepoolmag.com. The players representing the US are Jeanette Lee, Belinda Calhoun, Kim White, Anna Kostanian and Liz Ford. The Canadian representative that is also a WPBA player is Joanne Ashton.

Sarah
 
Johnnyt said:
I take it Vivian and Monica didn't want to go to Taiei to play for the USA. Johnnyt

JT,
I have NO idea exactly how the teams are chosen; but I'm not sure that it is even a "break-even" proposition for the players. My wife will be accompanying some of the players; and DANG it's an expensive trip.

My hat is off to all that choose/agree to participate. Pool is very popular in Taiwan (as well as Korea and the Philippines); so American players that choose to compete in those locales definitely help advance the prestige and popularity of the sport; and help continue the trend towards pool becoming a popular international game. Hopefully it will encourage the foreign players to bring their games to the U.S. on occasion. I wish I could go (I'll bet Nostroke shows up).
 
Thank you Sarah and Willie. I really wanted to know how their picked. But if they don't get the trip paid for 100% it doesn't matter...I wouldn't go either. It's getting so that if your not in the top five on tour or you don't have a sponser to pay all expenses, then you better be rich if you want to play on it. Johnnyt
 
JohnnyT, the players are picked by rankings but obviously can choose to turn down the spot. They always start at the top and go down until they find willing participants. It is a very expensive trip and although there is a stipend provided by the BCA, it doesn't exactly cover the trip. I wish I could have gone, but I'm not ready. Maybe next year. Good luck to the girls and Mrs. Williebetmore.

Sarah
 
I remember Jennifer Barretta mentioning last year that they went by rankings. I'm surprised, though, at how many American women turned down the opportunity. They include (based on rankings):

Monica Webb
Vivian Villarreal
Tiffany Nelson
Melissa Herndon
Megan Minerich
Melissa Little
Jennifer Barretta
Dawn Hopkins
Alice Rim
Sarah Rousey
Tracie Hines
Rachael Abbink
Laura Smith

Sarah said she's not ready yet (best of luck this season, Sarah), and I'm sure many others either feel that way or cannot do so financially. The list, though is surprising (I know Vivian hasn't played in years).

Good luck, though, to everyone going.


PJ
 
sarahrousey said:
JohnnyT, the players are picked by rankings but obviously can choose to turn down the spot. They always start at the top and go down until they find willing participants. It is a very expensive trip and although there is a stipend provided by the BCA, it doesn't exactly cover the trip. I wish I could have gone, but I'm not ready. Maybe next year. Good luck to the girls and Mrs. Williebetmore.

Sarah

Thank you Sarah...that seems fair to me. Now if someone could sponser for the remaining monies...that would be great. Johnnyt
 
Pjadedd said:
I remember Jennifer Barretta mentioning last year that they went by rankings. I'm surprised, though, at how many American women turned down the opportunity. They include (based on rankings):

Monica Webb
Vivian Villarreal
Tiffany Nelson
Melissa Herndon
Megan Minerich
Melissa Little
Jennifer Barretta
Dawn Hopkins
Alice Rim
Sarah Rousey
Tracie Hines
Rachael Abbink
Laura Smith

Sarah said she's not ready yet (best of luck this season, Sarah), and I'm sure many others either feel that way or cannot do so financially. The list, though is surprising (I know Vivian hasn't played in years).

Good luck, though, to everyone going.


PJ

Vivian played Johnny archer in the steve mizerak championship, you can see the match on propoolvideo.com
 
jimmy-leggs said:
Joanne Ashton won her trip by winning the Canadian 9 ball Championships.......I do believe.

JL,
Shame on you for not posting pictures....I'll let it slide this one time. Here is an AZB gallery photo of JA.
 

Attachments

  • jashton.jpg
    jashton.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 185
Back
Top