2017 US Open 9-Ball Championship

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
2017 U.S. OPEN 9-BALL CHAMPIONSHIP – DETAILS
• Tournament Dates: October 22-28, 2017
• Sanctioned by: World Pool Association (WPA) Tier 2 Event. Size of Field: 160 Players
• Added Money: $75,000. 1st Place Prize $40,000. 48th place pays $2,000. Entry Fee: $1,000
• Format: Double Elimination, Race to 11. Winner Breaks.
• Race to 13 on final day; must win by 2 games; 14-14 is hill / hill.
• Site: Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, Norfolk, Virginia, USA
• Major Sponsors: Diamond Billiard Products, Simonis Cloth, Aramith Balls
• Equipment: 9-foot Diamond Tables, Pro-Cut Pockets, Simonis 860 Tournament Blue Cloth,
Aramith Balls, Measle Cue Ball, Accu-Rack 9-Ball Racking Template

2017 U.S. OPEN 9-BALL CHAMPIONSHIP – OFFICIAL RULES
It is each player’s responsibility to follow these rules and regulations.
Players are required to conduct themselves as professionals at all times.
Unsportsmanlike conduct may be subject to penalties administered by the Tournament Director at his discretion.
I. Format
Double Elimination
Winner Breaks
Race to 11 until final day; Race to 13 on final day; must win by 2 games; 14-14 is hill / hill.
II. Racking
The Accu-Rack is the only authorized rack. The Accu-Rack may be removed after the break
if both players agree to do so. After it’s removed, the Accu-Rack can not be placed on the rail. Upon request, at any time during the match, the Referee may be called upon to assist in removing the Accu-Rack, but it is the Referee’s decision as to whether the Accu-Rack can or cannot be safely removed.
Players must rack the 1-Ball in front, the 9-Ball on the spot, and the 2-Ball behind the 9-Ball. All other balls must be randomly placed. No pattern racking is allowed.
Players must rack their own when they are breaking.
III. Breaking
Players must lag for the opening break.
Players must break from the designated break box, which is 9" to the left and 9" to the right of the head spot. A minimum of 3 object balls must either be pocketed, or touch the head string line, or a combination of both. To "touch the head string line" means that the edge of the object ball must reach (break) the string line.
An illegal break is not a foul. The incoming player has the option to either accept the table in position, or require his opponent to shoot from that position. Neither player may push out after an illegal break.
Pocketing the 9-Ball on a legal break in any pocket wins the game immediately.
Pocketing the 9-Ball on an illegal break requires that the 9-Ball be re-spotted immediately.
IV. Fouls
The “all ball fouls” rule applies.
This tournament is being played with “area” Referees; each Referee may be responsible for several tables simultaneously (except on the Accu-Stats TV Arena Table).
Generally, the non-shooting player acts as the referee. However, either player may ask the area Referee to watch a shot or to clarify a rule. The Referee’s decision is final once summoned to the table, either before or after a shot has been taken.
3 consecutive fouls is an automatic loss of game. A clearly audible warning of “on 2 fouls”
must be given to the incoming player as he approaches the table.
When the 9-Ball is the last remaining object ball on the table, if you pocket the 9-Ball and scratch or foul, the 9-Ball is spotted and the incoming player has cue ball in hand behind the head string.
V. Dress Code
Dress-type shirt (with or without a collar) or a dress-type sweater
Dress slacks; no sweat pants, warm-up pants, jogging pants, cargo pants, or jeans
Dark shoes or dark-colored tennis or walking-type shoes; no white or light colored soles; no sandals, slippers or open-toed shoes
No headphones, earphones, earplugs, iPod, Bluetooth devices, hats, caps, or headgear Hearing aids are permitted.
Note: Any dress code exception to the above requires a medical doctor’s note and must be approved by the Tournament Director prior to the Tournament.
VI. Cell Phones and Personal Electronic Devices
Players must completely turn off (use the airplane mode) cell phones and all personal electronic devices during the entire match.
Smoking and the use of E-cigarettes is not allowed anywhere in the tournament rooms.
VII. Forfeit Time
Both players must be in the tournament room at their scheduled match time, even if their scheduled match table is currently in use.
Forfeit time is 15 minutes after the scheduled match time, or when the table becomes available, whichever is later. If a player is not present at his table a few minutes after the starting time, his opponent must notify the Referee. Only the Tournament Director can declare a forfeit.
VIII. Time-Outs
Each player may take one 5 minute time-out per match. The Referee must be notified when a time-out is being taken. A time-out may only be taken during your inning or if you are breaking. Smoking and the use of E-cigarettes is prohibited during any time-out.
IX. Slow Play
Referees will monitor the pace of play on all tables.
Referees will issue a speed-up warning after 1 hour if the pace is not satisfactory (approximately 10 games should be completed after 1 hour). If the pace remains unsatisfactory, the Referee may implement a 40 second shot clock, with one extension per player per game.
X. Concession Penalty
Concessions are not permitted at any time. The penalty for a concession is the loss of the conceded game, and also a 1 game deduction from the offending player’s score.
XI. Cues and Bridges
Jump cues are allowed. The jump cue must have a minimum length of 40 inches.
Cue extenders are allowed. Players may use their own bridge, provided it is legal in all aspects.
XII. Ball Cleaning
Once a game is in progress, only the Referee, upon request, is permitted to clean any ball.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At the very least...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HAVE REFS RACK ALL MATCHES ON THE FINAL DAY, OR ALL STREAMED MATCHES.

This is supposed to be one of the most prestigious pool events, and it's an absolute shame that players are racking their own.

Everything else looks good though :)

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
At the very least...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HAVE REFS RACK ALL MATCHES ON THE FINAL DAY, OR ALL STREAMED MATCHES.

This is supposed to be one of the most prestigious pool events, and it's an absolute shame that players are racking their own.

Everything else looks good though :)

Thank you for your input.
Karl Kantrowitz, Tournament Director
2017 US Open 9-Ball Championship

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
game on!

Well, I'm excited.

3 years ago my now ex asked me for a divorce. Moved into an apartment, 9 foot in storage, and pool took the back burner as I navigated through the aftermath. I've played some regional events like those at the Carom Room in Beloit, but haven't played a pro event since.

Now it's game on. I'm moving next month into a house that will fit my 9 footer. I look forward to playing my music and practicing my drills. And I am signing up for this US Open and look forward to that first rack.

I've played four of them and there is no other tournament like it. It is electric. All the top players are there. There are towels and pitchers of water on the tables for the players. You have your name badge on as you go the the tournament room. There are spectators watching and applauding nice shots. And each match you win is a battle, and you know you've done something.

What a great game. Just had to share it. US Open baby :) And special thanks to calcuttaman who nudged me into going!

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
Here's to a new US Open, and it's return, to being, one of, the most revered tournaments on earth. I look forward to watching it!!!

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...snip....
When the 9-Ball is the last remaining object ball on the table, if you pocket the 9-Ball and scratch or foul, the 9-Ball is spotted and the incoming player has cue ball in hand behind the head string.
...snip....

Is this a new rule? I've never seen 9 ball played this way.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I don't recall that last year, either. It's kind of strange. If your opponent makes the 9-ball (when it is the last ball) and scratches, you have to shoot a spot shot. But if he makes the second-to-last ball and scratches, you have BIH anywhere for the 9-ball (and rarely is that a difficult shot).

So, the extension of this rule would be that if the 9-ball is the only remaining ball, and you have BIH, the 9-ball gets spotted and it's BIH behind the line.

JustPlay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It would be better if the finals was a true double elimination. Unfair for the person coming from the winners side of the bracket.

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
New 9-Ball Spot Shot Rule

Yes, this is a new rule.
First, let me put it into its proper perspective.
It is rare, very rare, that a foul occurs when shooting the 9-ball, when the 9-ball is the only object ball left on the table.
I think it has only happened once, that I can recall, in the last three years of the US Open.

That incident was captured on tape. Shannon Daulton pocketed the 9-ball and then laid his cue on the table.
The cue ball was still in motion and just barely made contact with Shannon's cue stick.
Shannon's opponent, Karl Boyes, called a foul.
I was the referee and after reviewing the video, I ruled in Boyes' favor.

This new spot shot rule was put into place mainly for the fans.
Why should the game end unceremoniously on a foul?
Spot shots occur with regularity in 14.1, 8-Ball, one-pocket, banks, etc.
Every pool fan can relate to shooting a spot shot.
A pro should have no trouble making a spot shot.
It adds an element of excitement that is sometimes lacking in 9-ball.

Rules in spectator sports are constantly evolving to add excitement and drama: designated hitters, 3-point shots, sudden death, tie-breakers, etc.
I think we, as pool fans (and I count myself as one), should be willing to try to improve the game in an effort to attract more fans, sponsors, and recognition.
This spot shot rule, I think, is a small step in that direction.

I expected that there would be some pool fans who wouldn't like this rule.
But, I urge you to keep an open mind and let's see how it plays out.

2017 U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship

Last edited:

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the explanation. This is the greatest tourney there is my opinion, please protect that and best wishes to going forward.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, this is a new rule.
It is rare, very rare, that a foul occurs when shooting the 9-ball, when the 9-ball is the only object ball left on the table.
I think it has only happened once, that I can recall, in the last three years of the US Open.

That incident was captured on tape. Shannon Daulton pocketed the 9-ball and then laid his cue on the table.
The cue ball was still in motion and just barely made contact with Shannon's cue stick.

Rules in spectator sports are constantly evolving to add excitement and drama: designated hitters, 3-point shots, sudden death, tie-breakers, etc.
I think we, as pool fans (and I count myself as one), should be willing to try to improve the game in an effort to attract more fans, sponsors, and recognition.

First, thanks for sharing the rules and participating in the debate.

However, I really don't like departures from WPA rules unless there is a compelling reason to do so (people introducing the 3 point rule on the break - before it became an accepted option under the WPA rules - is a good example of a compelling reason, IMO). One of the great things about 9 ball is that everyone knows the rules and they are the same everywhere - which is good for the sport, the players and the fans.

If, as you say, it almost never comes up at the US Open (it certainly comes up more often at the amateur level), and a "pro should have no trouble making a spot shot", then I think there is no compelling reason to use it.

By the way, spot shots do not come up in WPA 8 ball or in any league that I know of(although they do in Darren's events) and no one plays 14.1 anymore (okay, I exaggerate). Pool fans who play 8b, 9b and 10b only (which I think would cover the vast majority of most pool fans) may have never shot a spot shot in their life!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2017 U.S. OPEN 9-BALL CHAMPIONSHIP – DETAILS
• Tournament Dates: October 22-28, 2017
• Sanctioned by: World Pool Association (WPA) Tier 2 Event. Size of Field: 160 Players
• Added Money: $75,000. 1st Place Prize $40,000. 48th place pays $2,000. Entry Fee: $1,000
• Format: Double Elimination, Race to 11. Winner Breaks.
• Race to 13 on final day; must win by 2 games; 14-14 is hill / hill.
• Site: Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, Norfolk, Virginia, USA
• Major Sponsors: Diamond Billiard Products, Simonis Cloth, Aramith Balls
• Equipment: 9-foot Diamond Tables, Pro-Cut Pockets, Simonis 860 Tournament Blue Cloth,
Aramith Balls, Measle Cue Ball, Accu-Rack 9-Ball Racking Template

2017 U.S. OPEN 9-BALL CHAMPIONSHIP – OFFICIAL RULES
It is each player’s responsibility to follow these rules and regulations.
Players are required to conduct themselves as professionals at all times.
Unsportsmanlike conduct may be subject to penalties administered by the Tournament Director at his discretion.
I. Format
Double Elimination
Winner Breaks
Race to 11 until final day; Race to 13 on final day; must win by 2 games; 14-14 is hill / hill.
II. Racking
The Accu-Rack is the only authorized rack. The Accu-Rack may be removed after the break
if both players agree to do so. After it’s removed, the Accu-Rack can not be placed on the rail. Upon request, at any time during the match, the Referee may be called upon to assist in removing the Accu-Rack, but it is the Referee’s decision as to whether the Accu-Rack can or cannot be safely removed.
Players must rack the 1-Ball in front, the 9-Ball on the spot, and the 2-Ball behind the 9-Ball. All other balls must be randomly placed. No pattern racking is allowed.
Players must rack their own when they are breaking.
III. Breaking
Players must lag for the opening break.
Players must break from the designated break box, which is 9" to the left and 9" to the right of the head spot. A minimum of 3 object balls must either be pocketed, or touch the head string line, or a combination of both. To "touch the head string line" means that the edge of the object ball must reach (break) the string line.
An illegal break is not a foul. The incoming player has the option to either accept the table in position, or require his opponent to shoot from that position. Neither player may push out after an illegal break.
Pocketing the 9-Ball on a legal break in any pocket wins the game immediately.
Pocketing the 9-Ball on an illegal break requires that the 9-Ball be re-spotted immediately.
IV. Fouls
The “all ball fouls” rule applies.
This tournament is being played with “area” Referees; each Referee may be responsible for several tables simultaneously (except on the Accu-Stats TV Arena Table).
Generally, the non-shooting player acts as the referee. However, either player may ask the area Referee to watch a shot or to clarify a rule. The Referee’s decision is final once summoned to the table, either before or after a shot has been taken.
3 consecutive fouls is an automatic loss of game. A clearly audible warning of “on 2 fouls”
must be given to the incoming player as he approaches the table.
V. Dress Code
Dress-type shirt (with or without a collar) or a dress-type sweater
Dress slacks; no sweat pants, warm-up pants, jogging pants, cargo pants, or jeans
Dark shoes or dark-colored tennis or walking-type shoes; no white or light colored soles; no sandals, slippers or open-toed shoes
No headphones, earphones, earplugs, iPod, Bluetooth devices, hats, caps, or headgear Hearing aids are permitted.
Note: Any dress code exception to the above requires a medical doctor’s note and must be approved by the Tournament Director prior to the Tournament.
VI. Cell Phones and Personal Electronic Devices
Players must completely turn off (use the airplane mode) cell phones and all personal electronic devices during the entire match.
Smoking and the use of E-cigarettes is not allowed anywhere in the tournament rooms.
VII. Forfeit Time
Both players must be in the tournament room at their scheduled match time, even if their scheduled match table is currently in use.
Forfeit time is 15 minutes after the scheduled match time, or when the table becomes available, whichever is later. If a player is not present at his table a few minutes after the starting time, his opponent must notify the Referee. Only the Tournament Director can declare a forfeit.
VIII. Time-Outs
Each player may take one 5 minute time-out per match. The Referee must be notified when a time-out is being taken. A time-out may only be taken during your inning or if you are breaking. Smoking and the use of E-cigarettes is prohibited during any time-out.
IX. Slow Play
Referees will monitor the pace of play on all tables.
Referees will issue a speed-up warning after 1 hour if the pace is not satisfactory (approximately 10 games should be completed after 1 hour). If the pace remains unsatisfactory, the Referee may implement a 40 second shot clock, with one extension per player per game.
X. Concession Penalty
Concessions are not permitted at any time. The penalty for a concession is the loss of the conceded game, and also a 1 game deduction from the offending player’s score.
XI. Cues and Bridges
Jump cues are allowed. The jump cue must have a minimum length of 40 inches.
Cue extenders are allowed. Players may use their own bridge, provided it is legal in all aspects.
XII. Ball Cleaning
Once a game is in progress, only the Referee, upon request, is permitted to clean any ball.
The new spot-shot rule is kinda stupid, imo.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WTF people! Make normal break rules please.

"Players must break from the designated break box, which is 9" to the left and 9" to the right of the head spot. A minimum of 3 object balls must either be pocketed, or touch the head string line, or a combination of both. To "touch the head string line" means that the edge of the object ball must reach (break) the string line.
An illegal break is not a foul. The incoming player has the option to either accept the table in position, or require his opponent to shoot from that position. Neither player may push out after an illegal break."

Matchroom went away with the 3 ball past the line rule, it's idiotic. And using the edge of the ball instead of the base of the ball for position is also idiotic and is used by bar players not official rules.

Not being able to push after an illegal break? So if you make a ball, but 2 other balls don't make it to the line, and are hooked behind another ball, the opponent can now just pass you the shot and you can't push out? More stupidity. That is why you don't have an illegal break unless it's a real illegal break where you miscue and don't hit the 1 ball or something. Not an artificial illegal break when you try to keep soft breaking out of the game. That rule just messes with people just in a different way.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't recall that last year, either. It's kind of strange. If your opponent makes the 9-ball (when it is the last ball) and scratches, you have to shoot a spot shot. But if he makes the second-to-last ball and scratches, you have BIH anywhere for the 9-ball (and rarely is that a difficult shot).

So, the extension of this rule would be that if the 9-ball is the only remaining ball, and you have BIH, the 9-ball gets spotted and it's BIH behind the line.

This is almost as bad as the break rules. Punishes the incoming player in this case, where the break rules will punish you for making a ball and having bad luck with collisions or hitting the side pocket points and getting an illegal break.

What's next, having to call the 9 "clean" like bar rules? Calling every carom of a ball or rail touch?

EDIT, I read the reply to this, and the situation when the 8 or 7 is made and then the ball scratches is the same thing as if the player scratches on the 9. If you make the 8 and scratch, the opponent gets ball in hand on the 9. Only way to make the rule even is that ANY ball pocketed on a scratch is spotted and you shoot it from behind the line instead of anywhere on the table. Otherwise an opponent making a mistake on the 9 instead of the 8 is rewarded with the other player needing to shoot a tougher shot. If you foul on the 9, you should be punished as much for it as any other ball if not more.

Last edited:

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regardless of whether or not a pro should or should not be expected to make a spot shot the fact remains that it is a harder shot, and a pressure shot, than BIH - and the player who scratches is the one who is rewarded.

Reminiscent of the "only one shot on the black" bar rule after a foul when playing two shots English 8 Ball.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I expected that there would be some pool fans who wouldn't like this rule. But, I urge you to keep an open mind and let's see how it plays out. ...

Karl -- I don't disllike it. But how about the extension I suggested in post #7?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, this is a new rule.

I like the rule Karl. Bring back the spot shot! :thumbup: