2021 AZ Billiards Straight Pool Challenge!

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I did get out of line plenty and I'm not that great a shot-maker so I did well to keep it going. The odds catch up with you though.

I've been accused of having bad patterns before so maybe I should see how you play them.
I lean on my shot making and 'heavy spin' CB control too much honestly. I find my run results jump drastically when I play a more simple game.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good shooting all. Some shuffling near the top, and some shuffling near the middle. First post updated.

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi 14-1 players:) Post your 2021 runs in this thread and I'll keep this first post up to date with everyone's high run. This list is for regular posters here on AZ Billiards. Videos are always in demand and generate good discussion and I'll post links if you upload them. Rules are cue ball fouls only, call pocket, any rack method allowed, any cleaning methodology allowed, run does not have to start from break shot, run can be practice or in an actual game. *Feel free to make the rules more strict if you prefer for yourself. Good luck all!

Prior Year Threads:
2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006

2021 Results:
267 - wrldpro - Mar 4 - Also 210
127 - The_JV - Feb 7 - Also Video 117, 85, 84, Video 82, 74, Video 66, Video 59, 58, 50
112 - acousticsguru - Apr 21
111 - jacob - Mar 3 - Also 98, 85, 71, 57, 56, 55, 52, 51, 51
106 - gerard soriano - Jan 13
101 - JusticeNJ - Feb 20 - Video 101, Also 84, 71, 53, 51, 43
81 - mjantii - Apr 10
70 - Will Maynard - Apr 19 - Video 70 w/commentary, Also Video 58 w/commentary
65 - Side Pocket - Apr 19 - Video 65
64 - Kentucky Rack Man - Mar 9
59 - stevekur1 - Jan 24
57 - ChrisinNC - Feb 4 - Also 57, 57, 56, 44, 43
57 - forabeer - Mar 9
55 - Mick - Apr 9 - Video 55, Also Video 51
54 - Poolmanis - Mar 4 - Video 54 w/commentary
54 - BayGene - May 20 - Also 30, 20
42 - DJKeys - Jan 2
42 - djoverboard - Jan 21
36 - Samiel - Apr 12
21 - Texas Carom Club - Apr 12
18 - krupa - Jan 24
15 - iusedtoberich - Jan 22 - Video 15
227 on June 14th

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
56... stupid game.

I've been focusing on 9/10 ball ghost lately with the hopeful reopening of our pool rooms in the next month or so. What little 14.1 skills I had are forgotten. Managed today's score with my breaker and my very first predator 314. I'm crediting the extra concentration that warped shaft takes to use...lol

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
This may well be the ugliest 69 ball run there is, but hey. Dead balls, banks, circus shots, I even bumped a ball and moved it back. But, it’s a 69 ball run.

I’ve spending most of my time away from pool lately so it feels good to know I haven’t totally lost it. I think it’s my Jim Rempe mustache keeping me alive. If I shave that, back to running 4s and 5s.

Playing with a beautiful 1991 Richard Black “Bushka” model with some upgrades. Really a wonderful playing cue.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
This may well be the ugliest 69 ball run there is, but hey. Dead balls, banks, circus shots, I even bumped a ball and moved it back. But, it’s a 69 ball run.

I’ve spending most of my time away from pool lately so it feels good to know I haven’t totally lost it. I think it’s my Jim Rempe mustache keeping me alive. If I shave that, back to running 4s and 5s.

Playing with a beautiful 1991 Richard Black “Bushka” model with some upgrades. Really a wonderful playing cue.

Right on... I jumped back into 14.1 now that it seems local league play and tournaments won't start back up until the fall around here. Between some rust and struggling with tip inconsistencies, I'm having a hard time getting passed a couple of racks. Haven't done anything over 50 in some time.

Great eye on that dead 7 ball early on.

I appreciate the inspiration ;)

Last edited:

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Very nice! Did you know you had hit 100 and just got nervous?
No - the break shot did not yield a lot of open balls unfortunately, and the cue ball was way up table. I managed to make the break shot (99) and one ball that creeped up table into the side pocket that I couldn't hit hard or do much with the cueball; and I didn't want to try anything funny, just wanting the 100 ball run (100) and a long shot into the corner to recover, but again, I just cinched it and didn't want to get too cute (101). I just straight up missed 102, which was a long thin cut down the rail that needed high inside to get underneath the next ball if I wanted to open the stack again.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ran a 43 on my new Diamond 8 foot, 4.5 inch pockets today. Beat my previous California run by one ball! Hopefully more to come now that I can play regularly.

-dj
was your California run on a 9-footer? If so, it will be interesting to see how you do on an 8-footer vs. the 9-footer.

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
was your California run on a 9-footer? If so, it will be interesting to see how you do on an 8-footer vs. the 9-footer.
No, that was an easier 8 foot Brunswick table with 5 inch pockets. I would have loved to fit a 9 foot in the Vegas house, but 8 is as big as I could go. My wife Maria actually designed the living room space around the table, so I feel lucky to have any table! My high run is 59 on a 9 foot GC1-

-dj

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
BAM! 101! TIED MY OLD RECORD SET A FEW MONTHS AGO!
I'm floundering as of late. Hovering around the 50-60 barrier. I really want to threaten that 200 mile stone, but it looks like I'm going to have to dedicate more time than I'm willing.

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
Ran a 57 today. After the third rack, I made the break ball, but could not get to the pack. I was at 43 and said, WTF, I called the 7 in the corner, smashed into the second ball, and it went in the pocket, and I was able to get through the 4th rack. Did not get a makeable shot at all after 57.

20210727_161730.jpg

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Ran a 57 today. After the third rack, I made the break ball, but could not get to the pack. I was at 43 and said, WTF, I called the 7 in the corner, smashed into the second ball, and it went in the pocket, and I was able to get through the 4th rack. Did not get a makeable shot at all after 57.

View attachment 604099
Lol yes! I’ve done that twice before. No idea what makes it go.

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
I play in a straight pool league on 8 foot tables that has pockets that are cut a little funny (balls hang quite often, but not because the pockets are that tight). I've been struggling a bit to get into the groove, but I feel I've playing a bit better. The division I'm in has all great players and I think I'm something like 4/11 right now. This past Sunday one of the players ran 70+ on me (he has a 100+ in the season), but I opened with a 28 or so on him. I'd been struggling to hit 20+ all season, but in the three matches I played Sunday, I ran a 20+ in each of the matches. I ran an unfished 34 against 9BallJim to close out the day. I'm hopeful I can calm down and start hitting the 40+ and 50+ runs I used to get about 5-10 years ago.

EDIT: Updated my signature, documenting that my high run was just a bit over 10 years ago.

Last edited: