2022 AZB Ghost Challenge - Official Thread

kanzzo

hobby player
9 ball ghost. 7-3……win??
beating the ghost in 9 Ball and 10 Ball :oops: - definitely good enough pocketing, position play and concentration ability to run 50+ in straight pool regularly ;)

edit: and it's a tough GC III with an old cloth you have there. Your 51 balls run would easily be as difficult as 70+ on an easy table like the one, where Jayson ran 714 on.

Last edited:

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
beating the ghost in 9 Ball and 10 Ball :oops: - definitely good enough pocketing, position play and concentration ability to run 50+ in straight pool regularly ;)

edit: and it's a tough GC III with an old cloth you have there. Your 51 balls run would easily be as difficult as 70+ on an easy table like the one, where Jayson ran 714 on.
Thanks again for the kind words. But keep in mind I’m not posting my losses. They outnumber my wins significantly, lol.

It’s easy to see someone post a good set and think that’s just how they play. I can assure you the sets I post here don’t represent my average speed. These are the good ones. There are a handful of strong players on here who are fully capable of just flipping a camera on and beating the ghost like it’s nothing—like poolmanis, shuddy…there are others, but those just came to mind first. I don’t play that good.
The 10 ball ghost is particularly challenging for me, so today will be tough when I get up and around and start trying to catch a good set on video to post here.

kanzzo

hobby player
But keep in mind I’m not posting my losses. They outnumber my wins significantly, lol.
I am aware of this. :)

That's why Poolmanis can run multiple 100s a day. No need to talk your accomplishments down. I have a GC very similar to yours in terms of pocket size and difficulty level and can judge quite well, what it means to run 51 or beat the ghost. (Obviously once in a while, not all the time).

Making all the makeable shots and keeping up once concentration is very similar in a match against the ghost or in running multiple racks of straight pool. And 4 1/4 '' pockets with old cloth allow no lapses of concentration. Or the ball never falls.

(I would state boldly, that while Jayson has some incredible beliefs in his skills just "knowing" that he can beat 526 in a week, you are mentally not quite there yet to run 50s. But your level of pocketing and position play is there...)

mtM0YwiMEh4Bha_lFJGSAwW7jOdkI6DUyjT02EzTxos.jpg

Last edited:

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am aware of this. :)

That's why Poolmanis can run multiple 100s a day. No need to talk your accomplishments down. I have a GC very similar to yours in terms of pocket size and difficulty level and can judge quite well, what it means to run 51 or beat the ghost. (Obviously once in a while, not all the time).

Making all the makeable shots and keeping up once concentration is very similar in a match against the ghost or in running multiple racks of straight pool. And 4 1/4 '' pockets with old cloth allow no lapses of concentration. Or the ball never falls.

(I would state boldly, that while Jayson has some incredible beliefs in his skills just "knowing" that he can beat 526 in a week, you are mentally not quite there yet to run 50s. But your level of pocketing and position play is there...)

View attachment 625402
I think it’s less trying to downplay my accomplishments and more trying to keep myself in the right frame of mind. The 50 ball run happened, but it’s over now. The sets I posted…in the past. For me, if I hang on those too much my level of play begins to degrade quickly. So these days I’m just trying to appreciate my accomplishments for what they are, but stay zeroed in on my processes. And a huge part of that, for me, is cutting out any performance expectation I might have based on a previous accomplishment. Every time I screw my cue together I expect to struggle. To have to fight for every ball and every inch of the table. The good days will always be there, but this mindset helps me be the best player I can be when I’m at my worst.

I won’t argue that I might have some confidence issues as well. But I’m still learning. I’m just trying to do better today than I did yesterday.

kanzzo

hobby player
...but stay zeroed in on my processes.
this sounds like a great approach
And a huge part of that, for me, is cutting out any performance expectation I might have based on a previous accomplishment.
I had the impression from your 51 ball run, that you would have played the last balls differently, if it wasn't your goal to just reach 50
Every time I screw my cue together I expect to struggle. To have to fight for every ball and every inch of the table. The good days will always be there, but this mindset helps me be the best player I can be when I’m at my worst.
The first sentense of this ^^ part doesn't sound right. :)
I'm fine with expecting to fight for every ball and every inch of the table :D
Your pool table doesn't own you anything because of your past accomplishments.

But better to expect to set a new world record every time you screw your cue together.

shaw.jpg

kling&allen

Registered
I think it’s less trying to downplay my accomplishments and more trying to keep myself in the right frame of mind. The 50 ball run happened, but it’s over now. The sets I posted…in the past. For me, if I hang on those too much my level of play begins to degrade quickly. So these days I’m just trying to appreciate my accomplishments for what they are, but stay zeroed in on my processes. And a huge part of that, for me, is cutting out any performance expectation I might have based on a previous accomplishment. Every time I screw my cue together I expect to struggle. To have to fight for every ball and every inch of the table. The good days will always be there, but this mindset helps me be the best player I can be when I’m at my worst.

I won’t argue that I might have some confidence issues as well. But I’m still learning. I’m just trying to do better today than I did yesterday.

Great post--on point with the great book "Pleasures of Small Motions" if you havent already read it.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
Thanks for the honesty there pepper, it's refreshing.

I'm closing in on some decent pool playing myself, you guys are great inspiration. Kepp up the good work for us "lurkers" :ROFLMAO:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Btw, as with rack 4 of my above video (though I didn’t realize till I got to the 7 or something), what are AZB ghost suggestions for 10 on the break?
The “suggested rules” are on post 2. Here is the one for money ball on the break:

-Money ball on the break spots up if it goes in the two foot pockets. If it goes in any other pocket, its a win.

Scott Brazier

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had my Diamond 9 footer modified to 4.25 inch pockets. Played the best session since I had them modified back in November 2021.

Here is a 7-1 win 9-Ball BIH

Watch "Ghost Challenge 9-Ball BIH 7-1 Win 9' Diamond 4.25 Pockets" on YouTube

Attachments

• 20220121_191836.jpg
    20220121_191836.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 103

djkx1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That barbox one seemed to work so I tried one yesterday on the 9 footer. Score of 7 to 4 on Jan 28\22

My apologies in advance for the occasional plumber impressions.

pw98

Registered
That barbox one seemed to work so I tried one yesterday on the 9 footer. Score of 7 to 4 on Jan 28\22

My apologies in advance for the occasional plumber impressions.

Nice shooting in both videos. It seems like the rails on this table are fast. What kind of anniversary knockoff is it?

I have a similar problem with the plumber impression too. I buy extra long shirts and they stop it for a while then shrink and I'm back to square one 😒.

djkx1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice shooting in both videos. It seems like the rails on this table are fast. What kind of anniversary knockoff is it?

I have a similar problem with the plumber impression too. I buy extra long shirts and they stop it for a while then shrink and I'm back to square one 😒.
Thanks.
Its a Dufferin challenger made in around the 70s and 80s if i recall. Solid commercial tables that havent been manufactured for decades.
And i wasnt planning on recording that day or i would have worn a longer shirt. Lol. Next time, i promise.

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
7-0 nine ball ghost (not pro). I kept going afterwords because I still had 5 minutes before my noise curfew, but my intention was as a race to 7.

EDIT: For video. The video has the extra rack I had time for, so it’s an 8-0 vid, but I had planned to race to 7, so…. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
7-0 nine ball ghost (not pro). I kept going afterwords because I still had 5 minutes before my noise curfew, but my intention was as a race to 7.

EDIT: For video. The video has the extra rack I had time for, so it’s an 8-0 vid, but I had planned to race to 7, so…. 🤷‍♀️

Stud.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here’s my first submission, I’m starting to play more and want to record my progress. 9’ Diamond, 9-ball ghost, race to 9. When I finished I thought I won 9-2, but I believe it’s actually 9-3. I decided to NOT take BIH a couple of times if I was good on the first ball. That actually cost me a rack! Hope you enjoy.