2022 World Pool Masters (May 5-8)

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
interesting match this between nayuki oi and alyousef. polar opposites, snooker style vs jumping jack flash

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The table is pretty well broken in now, and it's playing tough. These conditions are giving everyone, with the clear exception of Jayson Shaw who ran into a buzzsaw named Fortunski, a fair shot at winning.

Filler, Ouschan and Orcullo are all, by my reckoning, top five in the world, and I figure one of them will win this title. No easy draws in this event!

Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
filler is all over the place with whitey, much like orcullo in his first match. but not missing much

BlueRaider

Registered
6-1 with filler at 98% pot success
I would love to know what it is about Filler that makes him such an incredibly accurate shotmaker. He's noticeably better than everyone else in pro pool IMO, including Mr. Eagle Eye himself.

My crackpot theory is that ultra straight shooters never struggled with shotmaking when they started (at least, not to the extent you would expect from complete newbies) and thus never developed any sort of "fear" in their strokes both mentally and physically. They have been supremely confident shooters from day one and potting balls has never required much effort for them, and in fact has only gotten easier and easier over time.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
It's more of a two-tourney trip for those who travelled to play, as the UK Open, one of the majors in Matchroom's lineup, starts on 5/17. In addition, even a first-round loser cashes for $1,750 at the World Pool Masters, so everybody has very strong action in this one.
JAM told me that airfare and hotel are paid by Matchroom.
Shane is staying in Europe for another tournament and then to the UK.
So it’s very good for the players invited.

Reactions: sjm

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only 4 out of 8 quarterfinalists are 800+ Fargo. So many party crashers this year -Fortunski, Alyousef, Lo Ho Sum, Lechner.
The champion will come from the tough top half -Filler, Orcollo , Ko are favorites to win this. Don't see FSR winning this despite beating Albin. :ROFLMAO:

wpm 2022 draw 800+.jpg

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes that is how Matchroom roll for invitational non-ranking events-Airfare and hotel paid by Matchroom also for events such as WCOP, PLP and of cos MC :)

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Only 4 out of 8 quarterfinalists are 800+ Fargo. So many party crashers this year -Fortunski, Alyousef, Lo Ho Sum, Lechner.
The champion will come from the tough top half -Filler, Orcollo , Ko are favorites to win this. Don't see FSR winning this despite beating Albin. :ROFLMAO:
Clearly the better player is the favorite, and FSR isn't the best in this event. If he was 50/50 in all of his matches he'd be only 12.5% to win from here, and he will likely be an underdog in the finals should he make it that far. So yes, long odds.

That said, he did win the DCC this year beating Filler in the finals. His next two opponents won't be any stronger than him. I put him as having an edge against Fortunski and at least even money in the following round. I think he is very live to reach the finals, and it clearly isn't out of reach for him to win one set against the world's best as he did in January. He's on his game and has some momentum.

From here it's true that EVERYONE is an underdog to win, but in this format there are no certainties.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I'm surprised that Fortunski is just 789. Maybe he is just always in dead stroke whenever I watch him. While Zielinski and Szewczyk might be the two strongest players of the impressive Polish contingent, Miesko Fortunski, to me, is the most improved. The 11-3 beating he put on Josh Filler at the 2021 US Open with a spot in Stage 2 riding on the outcome was a true masterpiece.

Whenever I'm watching, Fortunski plays to about 800 - 805!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Orcullo vs Filler in the quarterfinals. Wow, we're going to lose one of the favorites. Should be quite the match.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I didn't much care for Karl Boyes' post-match comment that Orcullo is turning back the clock. I'll just view it as uninformed. In the last two majors in which Dennis participated, he won bronze at the 2021 US Open 9-ball and silver at the 2021 International 9-ball. Dennis has been in dead stroke for years now, so why would he turn back the clock?

Last edited:

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many more missed with tight pockets but not too many. Seems like it gets in their heads. Many of the misses wouldn’t go on 5” pockets.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't much care for Karl Boyes' post-match comment that Orcullo is turning back the clock. I'll just view it as uninformed. In the last two majors in which Dennis participated, he won bronze at the US Open 9-ball and silver at the International 9-ball. Dennis has been in dead stroke for years now, so why would he turn back the clock?

agree. maybe except for filler, dennis is favorite to take this down.

as for age, iirc he is younger than he looks, younger than alex too. and the recent world snooker championship had three 47 year olds in the semis, with one of them winning it quite easily. not to mention the geezers that dominates three cushion billiards.

slugbait

I would love to know what it is about Filler that makes him such an incredibly accurate shotmaker. He's noticeably better than everyone else in pro pool IMO, including Mr. Eagle Eye himself.

My crackpot theory is that ultra straight shooters never struggled with shotmaking when they started (at least, not to the extent you would expect from complete newbies) and thus never developed any sort of "fear" in their strokes both mentally and physically. They have been supremely confident shooters from day one and potting balls has never required much effort for them, and in fact has only gotten easier and easier over time.
My crackpot theory is that he doesn't think, or worry too much about shots, leaving it to his subconscious to get it right. Being too deliberate can ruin the process of shot making.

slugbait

Yes that is how Matchroom roll for invitational non-ranking events-Airfare and hotel paid by Matchroom also for events such as WCOP, PLP and of cos MC :)
This one is sponsored by the fine people who want you to vacation in Gibraltar. I'm sure they provide accommodations to the whole crew and players.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Fedor Gorst, in my opinion, is the world's straightest shooter. Filler is next best, and not far behind.

That said, I think the answer is work ethic as much as natural ability. To say he shoots so straight because of his immense natural talent alone is to shortchange him. Same goes for Fedor. Of the twenty-somethings in pro pool, these two players might be the hardest workers, and they've got the competitive resumes to prove it.

In most cases, the true greats have also been the hardest workers. Mike Sigel and Earl Strickland, two of the most talented players the game has ever known, were both well known for their 100-hour weeks of practice and play in their developmental years.

Another reason Filler is so tough is that he's always been willing to mix it up with the game's very best in action. He has gambled with both JL Chang and Dennis Orcullo at ten-ball. He has gambled with both Evan Lunda and Shannon Murphy at bank pool, and he mixed it up with Tony Chohan in one pocket. His willingness to constantly challenge himself against the best players in every discipline gives him a competitive pedigree that is second to none. He plays all the games and plays them well. Let's add that at the American 14.1 last year, which he won, he ran 150 and out in one of his single elimination matches.

Started young, great natural ability, works his tail off, plays all the games, matches up with the greats on a regular basis. That's the recipe for Filler's incredible level. I agree with you that it's almost mind-bending how straight Josh shoots.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Yes, Matchroom is doing more for the top players than any pool event producer in history --- by a mile. When we see the final money list for 2022, I feel sure that the top 10 on the money list will average over 200,000 in prize money. Of course, the lucrative CSI/Predator 10-ball series will be part of the reason.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Did anyone see the feature they showed before the Ko vs Ko match? I absolutely loved it. They were at a bowling alley and having a whole lot of fun. After they finished bowling, they were interviewed (in the bowling alley) about their upcoming match and it was heartwarming. You could tell that their brotherly love ran so deep that they just couldn't view each other as a rival.

At times, I've argued that we don't get to know the players enough because the interviews and features are so plain vanilla, but this feature was different, and we really got to know the Ko brothers a little more.

Well done!

Last edited: