2023 American 14.1 Championship

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've enjoyed the foreign born pros today playing well in their matches. I would like to see one of our American born short stops run more than 5 balls - I am hoping that one of them can actually make a foreign born pro vs. an American born player match even remotely interesting.

Podunker

I agree with mikemosconi. I hardly ever go out and play anymore, but I can get on my table alone and easily lose an hour or more chasing straight pool. Can't last that long with 9 ball. Real straight pool is a lot more than just running balls. I ran early 78 against a real good player in a race to 100. (probably 35 years ago) Only time I scored. He was masterful and totally controlled the game after. A lesson learned. I got $20 dollar high run. He won the tourney.

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Silver Member
This kinda breaks my heart.

Though I am now a dyed-in-the-wool 1pocket player, 14.1 will always be my first love. And it distresses me the entries have fallen to where they have. The comments about the women's side, excuse me if I'm not so woke, but are on the mark. I was there a few years ago, had a chance to commentate a few matches, and heard a senior women's player making noise to Peter about more streaming time for the women and I was taken aback, given the quality of play they had displayed.

It is a sad state of affairs when this is not one of the premier events on the pool calendar.

Lou Figueroa
Looking good Lou. Your professionalism and knowledge of the game was very good when you commentating the matches.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking good Lou. Your professionalism and knowledge of the game was very good when you commentating the matches.

Thanks, Bobby — it was a pleasure, though slightly intimidating — to do commentary with you, a multiple century ball runner.

I was telling Gail a story about that the other night and it was a moment when we were in the booth and you suggested that the shooter was going to shoot a particular shot next and I said,”No, he’s not going to do that.” And then I thought to meself, “Self, maybe Bobby knows what he’s talking about.” Blessedly, the shooter didn’t shoot your shot, lol.

Lou Figueroa

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its never been a thing where i live, we always regarded sp as a 'back east' game for guys with no gamble. Probably not a totally fair take but in the Midwest/South straight-pool was rarely if ever played. I love watching good players play it.
Funny you say that, I remember hearing Grady commentate in an AccuStats match that if he were East, he would always play 14.1 because he knew we did not like one pocket or banks here, whereas if he were out west, he knew he could gamble at one pocket because the players there did not like 14.1.

It was funny yet it makes so much sense when you think about it.

Also, so far so good on these matches. Mario He running that 125 and out was really nice to see. I do not care much for high run attempts but good for the players trying to get some extra cash.

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Silver Member
Thanks, Bobby — it was a pleasure, though slightly intimidating — to do commentary with you, a multiple century ball runner.

I was telling Gail a story about that the other night and it was a moment when we were in the booth and you suggested that the shooter was going to shoot a particular shot next and I said,”No, he’s not going to do that.” And then I thought to meself, “Self, maybe Bobby knows what he’s talking about.” Blessedly, the shooter didn’t shoot your shot, lol.

Lou Figueroa
Well it goes to show you have endless knowledge of the game. You are always welcome to commentate any matches I'm doing.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
While Immonen vs Lee Van was streamed, the other winner's bracket semi wasn't and I'd like to share a few things about Bader Al-Awadhi vs Mario He, an old school sort of classic. Apologies in advance as I'll have to give my best estimate concerning Mario's runs.

The match began with a scratch on the opening break by Mario, and Bader didn't waste the opportunity presented, running 80, for an 80 to -1 lead. Mario ran 40-something and got stuck but he played a safe and won the safety battle. He then he ran another 40-something and got stuck again, but he played safe again and won the safety battle, after which he ran out the match, perhaps 60+ and out.

After leading 80 to -1, Bader never got to attempt to make another ball in the match to 150. Wow!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
And soon thereafter he walloped Hohmann 125-11 on the stream. He is really quite a shot maker, with a beautiful stroke.
Yes, a beautiful stroke and also good problem solving skills at the table. Far from a classic pattern player, but he's very interesting to watch.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Stu, if you are there again tomorrow, you might tell the flowchart keeper that the score for the He/Wilkie match today was 150-35, not 150-135. Wilkie's 4 innings were: (1) safe, (2) 28 and scratch, (3) 1 and miss, and (4) 7 and miss.

Marc

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The best 14.1 tournament I have ever witnessed, and I'm not sure if it was the biggest purse or top 1st place in history for this discipline (probably not), was the US Open at the Ballroom in Times Square, NYC, year 2000.

Very few big names missing and a huge international field.

I thought back then, that the game could have a chance.

Shameful the current promoters do not give the game a chance, it really is a great game. But I also blame the players here, for not asking for it, or supporting the few chances there are to play it.
But can't blame them much currently, since the 9-Ball schedule has never been this busy

It seems like even at 9-Ball, the interest for a regional or even weekly competitions have gone down. Good players don't show up to tournaments as much.

I think a high entry 14.1 tournament would be interesting (since it seems like the top players also have no interest in matching up in 14.1) I never understood why..

The right person doing the streaming would be important.
Charge little, like $10 bucks tops, have the biggest names play. (I'm talking $1000-$2500 entry fees).

Most the top players wouldn't even have to put their own entries cuz there is always a sponsor that does it for them.
Long point-games and a true double elimination would be my choice, or a well structured round robin.

Then along side the top pro players, a lower entry tourny for the semi-pros or low pros.

The problem is that most of the top pros and also most of the semipro level players have no interest in playing the game

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As all the small poolrooms went out of business, the younger generation of players mostly only learned how to play on a coin-op barbox (no 14.1 possible), a situation BTW that likely also explains the confusing myriad of screwy local rules (kicking at balls in the kitchen, no spot shots, etc.). The foundation of an environment that appreciated the history & subtlety’s of straight pool was thus missing, along with an awareness of the importance of actually knowing the official rules.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here are the results. Mario ended up with a $12,000 payday. The payout steps are a little strange perhaps because they changed from single- to double-elimination after the preliminary announcements. With 30 entrants it ended up with over half the field in the money. :eek:

2023 AMERICAN 14.1​
Prize Fund​
1Mario He *
$ 10,000​
2Lee Vann Corteza
$ 6,000​
3Bader Alawadhi
$ 4,500​
4Jani Siekkinen
$ 4,000​
5-6Mika Immonen
Thorsten Hohmann
$ 2,700​
7-8Jani Uski
Shaun Wilkie
$ 2,500​
9-12Ralf Souquet
Ralph Eckert
Mikael Ogaard
Brandon Shuff
$ 850​
13-16Bob Madenjian
Michael Yednak
Holden Chin
Matthies Arnold
$ 750​
*MARIO HE

Margo HR
Other HR
High Run Prize (not included in $10,000 1st place winnings)
No Winner
Bob Maidhof
$2,000

$1,000
$ 300​
Total Prize
$44,600​

Benhogan

I never thought of 14.1 as much of a gambling game. It truly is a very pure form of pocket billiards. I can watch great 14.1 all day long . I can play it myself, for long stretches - it becomes very calming to your mind and soul once you have it in your blood👍. Great game for mind exercise and mental challenge - would be lost without it!
Back in the day (I'm 60ish) we used to play 14.1 for a 1$ a point in 50 point matches ie: 50-20 = win 30 $ not big money but we were not rich im sure there was other formats.