2023 AZ Billiards Straight Pool Challenge!

bpeacock

Have been working out for the last few months on my table at home. Know my game from when young isn't much there anymore. Turned 70 back in Nov, and just use my time of a couple of hours 3 or 4 times a week as good for working out and better than taking walks outside in freezing weather. Ran a low 90 ball run back a few months ago and have not put together anything better than 70 much with a lot of 28's and stuff.
Got into a great run the other night of 98 and missed the key ball going to my break shot,,jawed her I did. This game can hurt your feelings at times and when it;'s all going right , it can pick you right on up again. There were as many as 4 different rooms in this small town at one time. There is one here now. but the hours are late in the evening and driving after dark isn't as easy as it once was. The thing that keeps me playing is the chance I will catch an old gear and time will become non-existent, it keeps ya young and ever mindful . Keep on playing folks
This is very encouraging to me...I am 54 and I try to spend 4-5 hours per week practicing and the improvements are coming but they are slow...maybe someday I can run my age:)

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
i havent been able to come close to my high again all yr. wonder what can i do to take the next step up

jeagle64

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i havent been able to come close to my high again all yr. wonder what can i do to take the next step up

Try counting your racks in blocks of 5. First 5, middle 5, last 5. It mentally helps me by setting smaller goals within my runs. I realized the first 5 and last 5 are most important in 14.1.
Also, leave yourself easy break shots with the cue ball close to the break ball. I like to try and leave it within the length of my shaft or less away.
Hit the break shot with as much speed as you can without suffering accuracy on making the break ball or loosing the cue ball. Break shot is the most important shot. Make it no matter what.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Flakeandrun

Just shy of 5 racks today on my lunch break at 73. Got in a real pickle trying to figure out a break ball from an awkward spot. I would love to break a hundred before the year finishes. Was a period where I felt like I couldn't miss today, and then it all went tits up... Going to try and record some more now the club has fixed the iPhone mount to the ceiling again. Was going to go home for a while, but going to stay for a few hours before my next meeting now haha

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I’m gonna give this a try this year. No high run goal for me, yet. Right now, my goals are to work on break shots. I just can’t get a break out when I break. So, that’s the goal for now. I figure as soon as I can achieve that, the runs will follow
Perhaps break outs aren't the prob. Straight pool is a Surgeons game. Just a suggestion from one who thot as you did once... A crucial part of this game is learning how to use one or two balls you break loose to cut a coupla more loose until the cluster is gone or open enuf for easy pickins. I worked on hitting the rack softly or just hard enuf, esp on bad break shots, where only a ball or two popped out. Great confidence builder confronting shots like that after making easy open clusters one after another. Not saying I don't enjoy those, simply saying this is a tool you gotta have in order for long runs to materialize. It always happens, so why not prepare for it??
Just my humble opinion. You know what they say about opinions and backsides. Lol.
Take what you can use, and leave the rest.

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Kinda off the beaten path, apologies, but interesting story for ya... Guy who taught me how to play straight pool was a world-class ping-pong player who dabbled in billiards!! We sent him to play the Chinese back in the 70s!! He was that good. You old timers might now of whom I speak. His knowledge of spherical collision and rotation was second to none!! When it came to break balls, throws, reading the rack, english transfer across multiple balls, etc, this guy knew his stuff. I consider myself fortunate to have had his tutillage so early in my playing days. Helped me develop a love for this game like no other. Except perhaps Rollin the Cheese on the 9. Lol.