2024 AZB Ghost Challenge - Official Thread

Willowbrook Wolfy

Going pro
Gold Member
7-4. 1/5/23
I beat Casper the friendly 9ball ghost. I haven’t played 9 ball in a while and or any type of set. I enjoyed the little stress of it.

Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards Forums
Nice win. I really enjoyed your 6th win. Thought you were in trouble for sure. That break out to js and your shape in that one was off a little, but you perservered through all that with some great shooting and got the win J. I might’ve gave up on that one.😵🤔😵‍💫🤤🤤

kanzzo

hobby player
Had 3 40+ runs in One Pocket Ghost this year already.

So break from behind the headstring, ball in hand after the break and run as many as you can. You have 5 innings. Highest poosible score is 75. You can play "pro version" with no ball in hand after the break and Alex Pagulayan is probably the best player to play this game.

Here is a great video of Alex playing this game and explaining his thought process.

So here are my three 40+ runs:

Last edited:
Nice Runs, Kanzzo. I enjoy some one-pocket as well, Not quite to your level yet but I do play weekly with the person who is likely the best One-pocket player in are area. I really like Alex as well. I subbed your Youtube in addition..

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
Beat the 9-ball ghost 7-6 last night on my 9-ft table with 4.5” pockets, first session with my new Tournament TV balls.

Pretty rough performance, but happy to win as I’m 9 weeks post-back surgery (blown L4-5 disc) and just now finally able to play long sessions.

I had laid off pool completely since 2016 when I got heavy into golf, but since golf wasn’t allowed after surgery and I was stuck at home, I ended up getting back into pool. Feels good starting to get back into stroke.

I sped up the racking in this video, but left the gameplay real-time. I know I need to speed up my routine, lol - will work on that. Some of my slowness is still due to my back. Unfortunately my GoPro battery died near the end of the 12th rack with the score 5-6. I won that game and the next for the match.

Any and all feedback is appreciated! Switch to 4K quality for best picture.

Last edited:

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice play. Very nice table. Believe me, I know what is to play when back is in pain.
I think you play very well. You were fast enough and very consistent.
I think you should practice Bert Kinister shot number 3,4,13 and especially 18 to get more confident to play position with more english.

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice play. Very nice table. Believe me, I know what is to play when back is in pain.
I think you play very well. You were fast enough and very consistent.
I think you should practice Bert Kinister shot number 3,4,13 and especially 18 to get more confident to play position with more english.
Thanks! Is there a video or document somewhere with all his shots described? Thought he had his stuff on YT but apparently he pulled them down. $35 for one month subscription on his site now.

I’m not against spending money, but I’d rather spend it on remote lessons with you. 🙂

Last edited:

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played 15-ball Ghost match after my night shift. Race to 7.
Played with Pagulayan rules. I commentate my thought process and tell rules on video. Won 7-5... Maybe. I need to watch it myself too and count score.
Video unedited because mic had some weird stuff going so i just put up video here.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What are those rules?
Ball in hand after break and player can move one of object balls anywhere.
Basically it means you always have a chance. Normal 15-ball Ghost you often get impossible layouts.

Here is Alex playing it mic'd up. He is on beast mode!
This match inspired me play also

soyale

i’ve been stuck on straight pool lately but i’m going to have a go at the 6 ball ghost. i dont stand a chance against the 9ball ghost but i’m hoping some 6 ball attempts will improve my rotation game a bit

EDIT:
gave it a try today. It did not go well at all. gonna take a whole lot of attempts to get a win

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9 ball ghost today. Fargo 542/300

Morning
Lost 0-7
Lost 3-7

Evening
Lost 0-7
Lost 4-7
Lost 1-7

Last edited:

soyale

i’ve been stuck on straight pool lately but i’m going to have a go at the 6 ball ghost. i dont stand a chance against the 9ball ghost but i’m hoping some 6 ball attempts will improve my rotation game a bit

EDIT:
gave it a try today. It did not go well at all. gonna take a whole lot of attempts to get a win

had a way better day today. using a template, pattern racking, and a soft break, i won 7-6, and then kept playing. I was ahead in the score 10-9, and then didnt get back ahead, finishing it up at 13-14.

you can cherry pick two different 10-9 “victories” out of the race based on the rack track, but i included the video starting with my first out and ending at 10-9, even though the second “win” is probably prettier.

i realize this isnt a proper “race to” situation and might not “count”, but it is the best i’ve ever done against a ghost and i feel good about it. I obviously have a ton of room for improvement. I’m calling it a 10-9 win so i can feel good about myself even though i cheesed it about as much as one possibly can.
0A0FD5D6-BC02-4E88-AB45-6D0A84162B8C.jpeg

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm going to start recording FargoRates on the chart. If you would like yours added, please list it when you write a score (or write it now if you already did/or edit post). It's completely optional. If not established, please write a P after it for preliminary. And/or ok to add your robustness.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played the 6 ball ghost, did not go well enough to edit the video. 2-7. Any ideas on the 6 ball ghost break for an 8 foot table.? The break was killing me. tried several locations but the balls like to keep bunching back up.
6 ball is hard to make a ball on the break. Let me check some of the old threads, we used to have a 6 ball category.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
@DistinguishedBilliards check this thread. There was a 13-0 6 ball score. See how he did it for any break tips.

Edit: I just watched it fast forwarding. It looks like he was going for the 1 in the side, and the corner ball 4 rails. He made the 1 in the side twice, the corner ball once (on one of the same racks the one went in), and also fluked in a random ball in the side. So, very low percentage:)

Last edited: