2024 World Pool Championship

shooter_Hans

We will watch and it will be nice to see American pool players.

The Saudis have proven to put on a good show.

I said this many times to people at the pool hall. Pool need the Saudis’ money to be taken seriously.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
In reality, there isn't nearly as much drama as you think there is. All of these decisions have money as the primary motivator...plain and simple. That goes for the Pia decision as well. You can view it as "hypocrisy". I simply see capitalism.
So where’s the line? If the drug cartels want in is it just capitalism? How about child traffickers money? Your response showcases the point I made in the last sentence of the post you quoted. That as long as it facilitates a pro pool tour, many here and in the pool world are willing to look past or downplay anything, you don’t care where the money comes from.

jbart65

Do we have to dive back into the "Saudis bad" thing again?

Saudi money is as good as American or European or Asian money for the players - and that's where much of the money is going.

It's not the job of Matchroom to dictate to the Saudis how they should structure their society. The only job of MR is to grow the game of pool and help the players get paid.

The U.S. for decades has had no problem buying oil from Saudi Arabia and still does. Every day you, me and every American who drives are driving on gas tanks filled partly with Saudi oil. And no one thinks about it for a second.

Last edited:

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So where’s the line? If the drug cartels want in is it just capitalism? How about child traffickers money? Your response showcases the point I made in the last sentence of the post you quoted. That as long as it facilitates a pro pool tour, many here and in the pool world are willing to look past or downplay anything, you don’t care where the money comes from.
I never mentioned anything about whether I agree with the business decisions or not. Just that the decisions were made to maximize profit. As for the Pia decision, did MR ever make a press announcement that she was chosen to "champion women's rights"? Seems obvious to me they did it simply to potentially widen their viewing base, whether Pia was worthy of the spot or not.

FWIW, as a fan I'm actually quite disappointed the World Pool Championships will be chained to Saudi Arabia the next decade.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
I never mentioned anything about whether I agree with the business decisions or not. Just that the decisions were made to maximize profit. As for the Pia decision, did MR ever make a press announcement that she was chosen to "champion women's rights"? Seems obvious to me they did it simply to potentially widen their viewing base, whether Pia was worthy of the spot or not.

FWIW, as a fan I'm actually quite disappointed the World Pool Championships will be chained to Saudi Arabia the next decade.
It’s clear that it’s money driven, everything MR does is. I get that MR is a business but I don’t like the things they’re doing to the game I love. Frankly if the Demon Behrman spawn hadn’t sold the rights to the US Open out from under Pat Fleming to MR I really wouldn’t give a damn what MR does with their WNT, Queen Emily could sit on a Rasson table covered in grey cloth and shove a purple 5 ball up her bum.

Regarding Pia, if they wanted to widen their viewing base then they should have put the top rated female player in the world in that spot, you know, someone who might actually be competitive, not the 25th ranked woman to sell the soap opera Pia and Joshua story. At the end of the day MR is turning pool into something other than pool and as a result I’m not a fan of MR.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Geez, too much pontificating here. Leave that to the Pope and his popemobiles.

It's sports, entertainment FFS 🤣
tumblr_ml209ls8oZ1qdf6w8o1_500.gif

Philthepockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SA spending 86 billion on defence, most of it with US suppliers and you lot arguing about a few Pennie’s for a pool match 😂

shooter_Hans

You guys will watch even if it is Saudis. Just pretend it’s not the Saudis. Now if you have a hard time forgetting then tell yourself they are putting a good event with the money spent.

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How does a truck driver talk? Do they all talk the same? Do you know any one that drives a truck? Do you know anything at all, surely you must?

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These are Top 100 players from Matchroom ranking who automatically qualified. Will be 10 Saudi wildcards and 18 wildcards chosen by Matchroom. All 128 players guaranteed minimum $1000
Wow, This is the strongest field of any event ever. 37x800s i.e. 37x top 50 Fargo players (about 75%). And there may be few more top 50 from the 18 wildcards. Stronger than recent superstrong UK Open and most major events which only have 45% to 60% of top 50 Fargo.
The recent UK Open was a "black swan" event with NO 800s/top 50 Fargo in the semifinals. Something is very wrong if none of these 37 gets into the semis this time :ROFLMAO:

100.jpg

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These are Top 100 players from Matchroom ranking who automatically qualified. Will be 10 Saudi wildcards and 18 wildcards chosen by Matchroom. All 128 players guaranteed minimum $1000
Wow, This is the strongest field of any event ever. 37x800s i.e. 37x top 50 Fargo players (about 75%). And there may be few more top 50 from the 18 wildcards. Stronger than recent superstrong UK Open and most major events which only have 45% to 60% of top 50 Fargo.
The recent UK Open was a "black swan" event with NO 800s/top 50 Fargo in the semifinals. Something is very wrong if none of these 37 gets into the semis this time :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 759294

hope to see a couple of former champs getting wildcards, like wu jiaqing, immonen, bustie

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Looking over the names, I think there is a real good chance for someone outside of the top 8 in the rankings to win. There are 34 different countries represented in the 100 WNT players. Both of these are good news for pool.

Number of players from each country (so far):

13 Philippines
11 USA
10 Chinese Taipei
5 Netherlands
5 Great Britain
5 Germany
4 Vietnam
4 Austria
3 Spain
3 Poland
3 Greece
3 Albania
2 Switzerland
2 Singapore
2 Kuwait
2 Japan
2 Hong Kong China
2 Finland
2 Estonia
2 Canada
2 Bosnia and Herzegovina
1 Syria
1 Serbia
1 Portugal
1 Norway
1 Northern Cyprus
1 New Zealand
1 Lithuania
1 Kosovo
1 Italy
1 Hungary
1 Denmark
1 China
1 Bulgaria

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What has happened to Chris Reinhold? A few years ago when he was chosen for the MC, some were saying he was going to end up being a top american. But looks like Thorpe, Sossei, Wolford, Lombardo, Styer, Oscar, all competing for that 4-10 slot for the Americans.

Is he still progressing? Just haven't heard much from him lately.