Kind of dumb that the #1 rated player per Matchrooms ownranking system doesn’t even make the Reyes Cup. Just another data point that shows how dumb that ranking system really is.
Yes, there is likely some Fargo-lag due to his rapid improvement. Yapp is likely the better player, but Januarta is not too far behind.I like the Januarta pick - he was my preferred candidate. On the one-year rankings list, he was the fourth highest rated Asian player behind Capito, Oi and Yapp.
I believe Januarta is already one of the top 20 players in the world, top 25 at least. He's been consistent and strong in 2026, resulting in his Fargo climbing to 819.
Here are his WNT finishes this year. Only event he was poor in was the UK Open.
Taipei Open - top 16
PLP - Semifinals
Jacoby Open - Runnerup
Universal Open - top 32
Florida Open - Top 8
Arizona Open - Top 8
Phoenix Open - Top 16
US Open - Top 32
This will definitely be an exciting contest. I hope the real SVB shows up. He's definitely the wildcard given his international and team play history.Team Asia has youth on its side - Capito, Manas and Januarta. Yes, Team ROW might have an edge, but don't count out the young guys.
Manas was excellent in the Reyes last year. Like AJ, Januarta has no fear of anyone. Biado and Quong are the seasoned vets to keep them in line, and Capito is the bridge between the young guns and the vets.
It will be interesting to see the Manas-Januarta dynamic - we'll be seeing a lot of these two in the next decade. There is no doubt Busty will play those two together in a doubles match. Maybe even the very first one.
I think Januarta is a defensible pick, even if not based solely on merit. AJ is clearly a teacher's pet pick.Online is funny. Lots of outrage over Yapp omission and Januarta inclusion. Some complaints about Manas too.
You'd think Albert was a chump, not a rising star and potential superstar.
As I said before, I suspect Frazer talked to Yapp. She probably talks to several players to feel them out.
Naturally she and Matchroom are being accused of playing ... politics! God forbid.
Molina Mike loves to drum up these conspiracies. He loves to blather on about how the captains are basically stooges and have no say. Frazer makes all the wildcard and captains picks, he insists time and again.
Frazer talks about players with the captains, sure. The captains might even feel subtle pressure to pick this player or that. But I doubt Busty, Niels, Johan just go along with a charade and have no input whatsoever. I am sure they have lots of say.
Whatever the case, Team Asia is still very strong. Average Fargo of Team ROW is 844 to 825 for Team Asia.
Oh, I assume Emily has a say. A big say. But I wouldn't be a coach if I didn't have some say.I have spoken with people who would know exactly how picks are made. Hate to be vague, but can't put anyone on the record. The consensus:
"Emily always gets her way."
You assume she's involved but not overbearing. Why? That is the opposite of what people who have worked directly with her have said, the opposite of her publicly shown personality, and the opposite of what rational thought about the power structure would suggest.
Online is funny. Lots of outrage over Yapp omission and Januarta inclusion. Some complaints about Manas too.
You'd think Albert was a chump, not a rising star and potential superstar.
As I said before, I suspect Frazer talked to Yapp. She probably talks to several players to feel them out.
Naturally she and Matchroom are being accused of playing ... politics! God forbid.
Molina Mike loves to drum up these conspiracies. He loves to blather on about how the captains are basically stooges and have no say. Frazer makes all the wildcard and captains picks, he insists time and again.
Frazer talks about players with the captains, sure. The captains might even feel subtle pressure to pick this player or that. But I doubt Busty, Niels, Johan just go along with a charade and have no input whatsoever. I am sure they have lots of say.
Whatever the case, Team Asia is still very strong. Average Fargo of Team ROW is 844 to 825 for Team Asia.
Of course, only the most delusional will suggest that he's joined the ranks of the elite. As was true a year ago, he's a threat to beat anyonem but so are 100 other players. Here's an excerpt from a post I made in February, at a time when we were considering where Manas' game was and whether he'd enjoy the meteoric rise predicted by Emily in the aftermath of last year's Reyes Cup.AJ is clearly a teacher's pet pick.
The Savannah comparison was relevant to the discussion in February. Now that the 2026 Matchroom majors, save the upcoming Philippines Open, we can reflect on AJ's results.I won't say that, to validate his pedigree, AJ has to win a Matchroom major this year, but I want to see him reach the final four at one of the Matchroom majors before I jump on the bandwagon. Last I checked, he was about the twentieth best player from the Philippines based on Fargo.
AJ's potential is obvious. His game has a nice flow to it and his instant pattern recognition brings to mind a Filler, Shaw, or Centeno. His game, however, is still very raw and underdeveloped. He can beat anyone for sure, but I could say that of at least 100 players.
Based on Fargo, AJ is the #69 male player in the world and Savannah is the #66 female player in the world, so it is an interesting comparison.
He also has a huge social media following in one of the primary pool markets. His inclusion is a business decision, and, as much as I hate to say it, an astute one.Of course, only the most delusional will suggest that he's joined the ranks of the elite. As was true a year ago, he's a threat to beat anyonem but so are 100 other players. Here's an excerpt from a post I made in February, at a time when we were considering where Manas' game was and whether he'd enjoy the meteoric rise predicted by Emily in the aftermath of last year's Reyes Cup.
The Savannah comparison was relevant to the discussion in February. Now that the 2026 Matchroom majors, save the upcoming Philippines Open, we can reflect on AJ's results.
European Open did not play
UK Open did not play
Florida Open 5th
Arizona Open 5th
US Open 9ball 17th
He did not reach the final day at a Matchroom major this year. His Fargo was, I believe, 799 to begin the year, and now it is 806, so there was a little progress. As noted, he was the #66 player based on Fargo in February and now is #62. He is, based on Fargo, the 18th best Filipino player in the world, whereas he used to be 20th. To view AJ as one of the game's most elite is delusional at this point. Way too often, we confuse potential for performance here on the forum. There is no metric by which anybody would consider AJ to even be in the discussion for most improved player this year.
AJ has exactly one credential for selection this year, and that's having been Reyes Cup MVP a year ago. That why I am OK with the AJ selection, even though his 2026 has been nothing special.
For sure. He's a good pick, but as someone else properly noted. a teacher's pet.He also has a huge social media following in one of the primary pool markets. His inclusion is a business decision, and, as much as I hate to say it, an astute one.
I agree. AJ is an exciting player. His instinctive and extraordinary abilities in the runout portion of the game make him one to watch.Everyone bitching about Manas being picked again probably enjoys watching Pinegar play at 0.25x speed for hours on end.
He's fearless, exciting to watch, and adds to the entertainment factor, which is something the Reyes Cup needs if Jayson Shaw isn't there. He may not have the same showmanship or bravado/arrogance, but he plays fast and loose and can beat the top players.
He also brings more eyes to pool, with his huge fan-base, same as Hoang who has the entire Vietnam on his back and helps with viewership and engagement.
It's not their fault they're popular and can play great pool.
If it's such an issue then let's just remove wildcards/Captain pick from Reyes and MC. See how that goes
It would be a snoozefest, albeit some great pool would still be played.