$2500 BU Playing-Ability-Exam Challenge

Yes, with help and input from many people, including all of the BU founding professors.

We went through a period in the early years where we made several revisions and changes to the exams, but we have no plans to make any more changes in the future (unless the rules of the game change radically).

There are several specialty shots that would be interesting to add like combos, frozen-ball throw shots, spin-transfer shots, etc.; but again, the exams have been stable for a while now, and we don't plan to change them.

Thank you for the suggestions anyway,
Dave

Yeah, I completely understand . Combo shots rarely ever come up in competition, and are probably not a much needed skill to master. I do wonder how many of the top pros are actually very good at combination shots though. I assume not many (if any), because i am betting that it is not something that any players ever practiced. Thanks for your replies.

Thank
Who's going to be the first non-pro to enter? Nobody other than SVB has entered yet, so the non-pro $1000 is still totally up for grabs.

I didn't realize how difficult it was to give away free money. I thought I might do more challenges like this in the future; but if the participation rate is this poor, I probably won't.

Anybody out there plan to enter?

Good luck,
Dave

I plan on entering as soon as I can find me a tripod for my camera. I am excited to start practicing these drills. Hopefully I can get good at them, and they will help me improve my game. I have no jump cue though, so will not be able to try the jump shot drill. I never learned how to use a jump cue. I really need to learn if I ever want to compete seriously though, I think.

Last edited:
That's not true. Both the Exam I ($500) and Exam II ($500) prizes are open to anyone with a Fargo rating less than 700 (or nonexistent). Therefore, a non-top-pro can win a total of $1000.

Only the top-pro $1500 total-BU-score prize is limited to players with Fargo ratings of 700 or higher.

Regards,
Dave

I am sorry, I did not realize that there are cash prizes for both exams. I assumed that the complete exam was both exams put together. I also thought that you need to score high enough on exam 1 in order to qualify to do exam 2.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am sorry, I did not realize that there are cash prizes for both exams. I assumed that the complete exam was both exams put together. I also thought that you need to score high enough on exam 1 in order to qualify to do exam 2.
There are three different versions of Exam II. Your Exam I score places you into the appropriate Exam II. The Doctorate version of Exam II offers the largest number of points but all versions are acceptable for entering the Challenge.

FYI, before you start working with the exams, you might want to view all of the intro videos available here:

Billiard University (BU) Playing Ability Exams Introductory Video series

They explain and demonstrate everything fairly well.

The BU Exam Instructions document would also be useful to review.

Enjoy,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is anybody planning to do this, or should I just keep the money?

The Billiard University (BU) is offering $2500 to players who participate in and do well on the BU Playing-Ability Exams. Entries are being accepted now through the end of August, 2016. Please help spread the word so we can see how high the scores can be pushed. Hopefully, the financial incentive will help provide motivation. The Exams also provide an excellent pool workout for smart and focused practice.

For more information, see:

Good luck on the exams,
Dave

PS: There are two categories, based on Fargo Ratings, to provide incentive to both top pros and non-top pros.

#Cruncher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will be giving this a go next week. Tried the drills for the first time after watching the videos. It is definitely tougher than it looks to put up a high number, but any number will be in the lead at first!

Brian in VA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to find time to do it, Dr. Dave. If this weekend is as I've planned, I'm going to take a shot - probably posting a score low enough to get others to try. :smile:

Brian in VA

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I will be giving this a go next week. Tried the drills for the first time after watching the videos. It is definitely tougher than it looks to put up a high number, but any number will be in the lead at first!
Even a low number might win the cash.

Good luck,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have to find time to do it, Dr. Dave. If this weekend is as I've planned, I'm going to take a shot - probably posting a score low enough to get others to try. :smile:

Brian in VA
If nobody posts a better score, you will win the cash. And even if somebody does post a better score, maybe you can post something even better and regain the 1st place. You are allowed to enter as many times as you want.

Good luck,
Dave

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member

Yes, looking forward trying these drills. Not much time at the moment for pool, but getting there gradually. These drills are an excellent addition to my rare practice sessions.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I look forward to seeing how good everybody can do.

Good luck,
Dave

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You simmer down now. :) Don't we have until the end of August to do this?

I know I will be submitting one, but will do it on my time without all your yelling and screaming at me. :D

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Billiard University (BU) is offering $2500 to players who participate in and do well on the BU Playing-Ability Exams. Entries are being accepted now through the end of August, 2016. Please help spread the word so we can see how high the scores can be pushed. Hopefully, the financial incentive will help provide motivation. The Exams also provide an excellent pool workout for smart and focused practice.

For more information, see:

Good luck on the exams,
Dave

PS: There are two categories, based on Fargo Ratings, to provide incentive to both top pros and non-top pros.

I know I will be submitting one, but will do it on my time without all your yelling and screaming at me. :D
I look forward to seeing some good scores from you with all of that "fire in your belly." :grin-square:

Good luck,
Dave

Lol, you are funny. I was just wondering if there is a deadline. I assume that there is. I guess it is at the end of August? That gives me plenty of time to get my game back at where it should be. It is nice to know that the test can be taken more then once.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
There ya go yelling and screaming again..... :)

I guess I will just have to submit the highest score.
You're the one who sounds like Bernie Sanders. :grin-square:

BTW, the scores to beat to date (assuming you are not in the pro category) are: 64 on Exam I and 51 on Exam II.

Good luck,
Dave