3 Cushion Question

L.S. Dennis

I recently watched a 3 cushion match on YouTube having grown tired watching of modern pro nineball so I decided to give some 3 cushion viewing a chance.

The match was a real nail biter between Jaspers and Zanetti with the outcome unknown until the very end. As Jaspers finally reached 40 with a sigh of relief Jaspers sat down at which time I thought the match was over. But to my surprise the referee reset the balls in the breaking position and Zanetti came up to shoot. He made the first point from the breaking position but subsequently missed the second and at that point the game was over with the perfunctory hugs and hand shakes.

My question is what was that all about? I thought when one player reached 40 the match was over!
Can anyone explain this to me?

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
equal innings
they let the 2nd player have a go when the first shooter finishes, or vice versa cant remember.

kinda dumb

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If game is played to 40 points and player who did shoot opening shot(white ball) get there first. Yellow ball get equalizing inning. If Yellow can get to 40 points too on that inning they go one inning sudden death after that. If yellow ball player makes 40 first white ball does not get inning because he already shoot as much as yellow. 50 point game it is not used normally.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I saw this at the World Games, too, and was lucky enough to be sitting next to three cushion afficionado Ira Lee at the time. I asked him what was going on. I was surprised to learn that this is called "equalization" and is the rule, not the exception, at the highest levels of international competition. Unless the player losing the lag is the first to 40, that player gets an extra inning starting with the standard opening shot and can force a shootout if they reach 40.

Equalization is not customary in US-based tournament play.

Reactions: bbb

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Equal inning can make games more exiting finishes! here is nice example to show what some players can do with that! starting from around 10:22 if timestamp link not work :) That is art!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
equal innings
they let the 2nd player have a go when the first shooter finishes, or vice versa cant remember.

kinda dumb
Equal innings is standard at the "small" games at carom. It's the traditional way to play. It's the format under which Ceulemans won most of his 3-C World Championships.

The shootout for a tie is a modern introduction to allow single-elimination rounds.

L.S. Dennis

If game is played to 40 points and player who did shoot opening shot(white ball) get there first. Yellow ball get equalizing inning. If Yellow can get to 40 points too on that inning they go one inning sudden death after that. If yellow ball player makes 40 first white ball does not get inning because he already shoot as much as yellow. 50 point game it is not used normally.
Fascinating, this makes the game all the more interesting in my opinion, thanks for the explanation!

L.S. Dennis

I like this but does this not eliminate the need for a lag for break since it gives the loser of the lag kind of a backdoor chance in the end? Why not just flip a coin to see goes first since they’re both going to have equal innings?

I do like the idea though,,

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I like this but does this not eliminate the need for a lag for break since it gives the loser of the lag kind of a backdoor chance in the end? Why not just flip a coin to see goes first since they’re both going to have equal innings?

I do like the idea though,,
With equal innings, I think the advantage in going first or not is mostly psychological. If you go second, the other player has no chance to tie you. Also, if you go second and have a chance to tie, you can take shots that have no chance to be safe. I have seen the much stronger player in a match go second so there would be no awkward time at the end of the match.

One such awkward time was in the 1978 World Championship 3-Cushion in Las Vegas. Raymond Ceulemans was playing Boston Shorty in the first round. Ceulemans won the lag and played first. He also got to 60 first. Shorty then came to the table with a break shot and needing 52 points for the tie. He did not run 52 but he did run 2, 60-10 the final.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Equal inning can make games more exiting finishes! here is nice example to show what some players can do with that! starting from around 10:22 if timestamp link not work :) That is art!
Not as spectacular but even more dramatic, in the finals of the 2015 World Championships DKK had the white ball and got to 40 while his opponent, Blomdahl, was on 33. In the equalizing inning Blomdahl ran 7 to tie. Then Blomdahl went on to win the extra time inning and with it, the world championship.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
it is an advantage to lose the lag as you get more ideas and options if and when behind, and a free chance to use them all to your advantage
especially after the match is lost and you get another turn.
plus the first shooter loses options at the very end that can cost him the game.

L.S. Dennis

With equal innings, I think the advantage in going first or not is mostly psychological. If you go second, the other player has no chance to tie you. Also, if you go second and have a chance to tie, you can take shots that have no chance to be safe. I have seen the much stronger player in a match go second so there would be no awkward time at the end of the match.

One such awkward time was in the 1978 World Championship 3-Cushion in Las Vegas. Raymond Ceulemans was playing Boston Shorty in the first round. Ceulemans won the lag and played first. He also got to 60 first. Shorty then came to the table with a break shot and needing 52 points for the tie. He did not run 52 but he did run 2, 60-10 the final.
Good points,

jeagle64

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s kinda like baseball. Home team (lag loser) gets last at bats and a chance to tie and go extra inning.

Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards Forums

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watching Kozoom right now. Jasper's has run 23 and still going!

Missed on his 24th carom. What a run.....

Only 8 innings to get to 40 points. Got to feel sorry for his opponent though, he got blown out!!

Last edited:
  • Wow

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does the billiard room stay open after hours? I’d need a good bit of time to run 40🫣

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Off the break these guys almost never miss.
That shot sets up more shots with the ball in the corner.
Winning the lag and the break averages to a big first inning.