$30 for a piece of chalk...What's your favorite chalk to use?

edwu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried a piece of Navigator recently. All it did was wipe the V-10 off my tip. Wouldn’t even actually chalk the tip. Imagine my surprise when I found out it’s $26 a cube. 😳
Was the Navigator like a paste/lip stick consistency?

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll use whatever is available and not even think about it.
At home I use Taom for it's cleanliness.
Home table just stays clean.

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Skids/kicks/cling/rolloff/grit are bigger chalk concerns than miscuing.

While I prefer Taom, I wouldn’t use it on a flat tipped bar cue.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Taom V10. It performs as any good chalk should and it's clean clean. Even better it is the color of money. Who enjoys seeing blue spots all over the CB? Not me.
I bought it for curiosity and fun.... really glad I did. It is clean

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
Best chalk I’ve ever used. A friend of mine gave me a piece of Taom Pyro to try first and I liked it a lot. Felt just as good as the Magic Chalk I was using at the time, but a lot cleaner. Then a different guy gave me a piece of V-10 and I was instantly sold on it. Just as clean as the Pyro and, imo, coats the tip and grips the ball even better.
I bought V10 for home use Feb 2, 2022. It is over a year old and is barely used. Worth every penny, plus, cleanest chalk ever!

-dj

Ghost of OBC

Switched to V10 from Predator recently because I switched to harder tip (Tiger Everest). I liked Predator but it made a mess of my shafts and trousers and didn't adhere as well to the firmer tip. V10 is clean, holds well. I was very skeptical, but it really is better,

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's no difference in flag/no flag Masters. This rumor got squelched by Skip(head Tweeten guy) himself. https://billiards.colostate.edu/faq/chalk/master/
All you have to do is play with both to tell the difference. Tweeten can say what they want. There may be reasons to deny changes in materials.
There's no difference in flag/no flag Masters. This rumor got squelched by Skip(head Tweeten guy) himself. https://billiards.colostate.edu/faq/chalk/master/

SeniorTom

I wanted to try Taom V19 chalk to see for myself it's benefits. When it arrived the first thing I thought was "why did I waste my money on this?" So I put it into play and found myself only lightly chalking my cue once per game, without any miscues. It is clean, no need of chalking for every shot (once/gm), and easy to apply. Is it worth the money? I'd have to say yes. I went out to breakfast this morning and after tip, $21 and change. This chalk should last a good 3-6 months.

Das Cue-Boot

I wanted to try Taom V19 chalk to see for myself it's benefits. When it arrived the first thing I thought was "why did I waste my money on this?" So I put it into play and found myself only lightly chalking my cue once per game, without any miscues. It is clean, no need of chalking for every shot (once/gm), and easy to apply. Is it worth the money? I'd have to say yes. I went out to breakfast this morning and after tip, $21 and change. This chalk should last a good 3-6 months.
I think you are underestimating the chalk life. I'm on about 6 months with a piece of Taom and have probably used less than 10% of the chalk mass, that with playing a practicing daily.

CanadianGuy

price tag on Taom is definetley misleading relative to how long it lasts

the v10 on my kamui supersoft is easily getting me through an entire rack with one application

SeniorTom

I think you are underestimating the chalk life. I'm on about 6 months with a piece of Taom and have probably used less than 10% of the chalk mass, that with playing a practicing daily.
I hope you are right. Like I mentioned in my post I intentionally only chalked lightly once every game at the start, and then did not chalk anymore. I never felt like I was under chalked the entire time. Strange aspect is that the Chalk in the advertising pictures makes it look like it's about 4 in across and 3 in deep. I am not sure why it cost so much money? There can't be that much in their to warrant the high price as far as I'm concerned. Just the same, I think this is what I'm going to be playing for a while.

Das Cue-Boot

I hope you are right. Like I mentioned in my post I intentionally only chalked lightly once every game at the start, and then did not chalk anymore. I never felt like I was under chalked the entire time. Strange aspect is that the Chalk in the advertising pictures makes it look like it's about 4 in across and 3 in deep. I am not sure why it cost so much money? There can't be that much in their to warrant the high price as far as I'm concerned. Just the same, I think this is what I'm going to be playing for a while.
Why so much? Because they can and people will pay it. I'm sure the marketing and operations folks figured out something near the optimum where they maximize their profits.

SeniorTom

Still only chalking once / game and happy with the results. I have friends who chalk every shot, even a couple times before a shot if they're thinking about their next move. It's almost like a nervous thing with them. I have a tendency to reach down for my chalk in my pocket, just out of habit. If this chalk continues to make the same impression, I would probably buy another when this one is gone. Just the same, I think it is way overpriced and they are gouging people with the cost.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
I'll use whatever is available and not even think about it.
At home I use Taom for it's cleanliness.
Home table just stays clean.
This.
V10 keeps it clean.
I went through a cube of blue chalk every 4-5 weeks.
I've had the V10 for maybe 6 weeks and it still looks unused.

At the pool hall I use masters or triangle.
Blue Diamond is ok, but more messy than the two above.
Predator is the worst/dirtiest chalk I've tried.

Let's make this the last chalk thread of 2023.

Das Cue-Boot

This.
V10 keeps it clean.
I went through a cube of blue chalk every 4-5 weeks.
I've had the V10 for maybe 6 weeks and it still looks unused.

At the pool hall I use masters or triangle.
Blue Diamond is ok, but more messy than the two above.
Predator is the worst/dirtiest chalk I've tried.

Let's make this the last chalk thread of 2023.
Agree with every point you made. I’ve got a 6 month old block of Pyro where I am at maybe 10% usage. At that rate I’m in for a new block in late 2027, so I have time to save up. I left all my ultra messy pieces of Predator at places I play where someone else gets to vacuum up.