30-year old Diamond?

Atlatlien

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What do you guys make of this? Stupid question, but it has gotta be a fake, right?

http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/atq/4662415716.html

Made me cringe a little.

00k0k_l6m6WRQVlpi_600x450.jpg

AngryTurtle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like Brunswick feet and maybe ball box to me. - edited to add I donk know what an old diamond looks like.

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe not 30 years but well over 20 I would say. According to Diamond website, they have been around since 1987.

If I'm not mistaken, Steepleton in Louisville made the first Diamond tables. And the table pictured is the first I have seen with what I presume to be ball return.

Looks like an early Diamond to me...nice find!

Gary

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Cue Ball in Alhambra, CA (down the street from me) has a handful of the first gen Diamonds circa early 1990's. They are natural oak finish with Diamond and Pro Billiards Tour logos on the rail. That table looks correct to me but I think it may have been painted black at some point. I don't think they came in black but I could be mistaken.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I played for the first time on a Diamond 25 years ago.....
...so they've been around for a long time.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Table

Diamond first started routering the name in the aprons around year 1999-2000...
That's 14 years ago'

Rob.M

Last edited:

Diogenes

Silver Member
Looks like Brunswick feet and maybe ball box to me. - edited to add I donk know what an old diamond looks like.

Nope... those are Diamond feet and legs. My main pool hall that I shoot at has 3 of these (without the ball return and not in black). They've been there since 1987 or 88. I'm not sure that I've ever seen a ball return quite like that one before and I've shot on about every style Brunswick table that was ever built... so I'm guessing that was Diamond's 1st attempt at a ball return box... or someone converted a box off of a really old table. It (the ball box) looks like some of those antiques I started out on in the late 60's and early 70's.
Here's a pic of the Diamonds that I'm talking about from the 80's. Even though it's dark (like a pool hall should be) you can see that it's the same feet and legs as on the one by the OP.

Attachments

• Diamond tables.jpg
    Diamond tables.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 599

Atlatlien

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting. Thanks for the responses. I had no idea they had been around for so long.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never seen a Diamond without the mitered corners, but the feet look correct. It does appear that someone had fun with black paint and the ball box throws me off, but it's worth checking out.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its the Diamond Professional. 3 piece slate table, built well with pockets that layed flat to the rails which was a big selling point when they came out.
Used to play on them a fair bit in the mid 90s, only thing everybody complained about was they came with and usually got recovered with 760.
Chuck

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
What do you guys make of this? Stupid question, but it has gotta be a fake, right?

http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/atq/4662415716.html

Made me cringe a little.

00k0k_l6m6WRQVlpi_600x450.jpg

Not fake. Not 30 years old, but not fake. Looks like early years Diamond tables, maybe right after the name change. 1987 - Diamond was then called PBATE. So, this is after 1987 and therefor more like a 25 year old table, I'm guessing.

rikdee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The ball box and the triangle rack are correct Diamond. I had both on my early Diamond circa 1998.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On several older AccuStats video the commentators talk about the tables (which were the old Diamonds before the had the Diamond name), they said that the tables were designed with the pro tour and the players, they were asked for input about what they wanted to see in a table and it was build around that.

I'm going to guess that thing needs more than just new cloth, likely all new rails.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Table

The cushions that diamond used earlier went bad in a few years... Again, diamond did not router the name in the apron untill the year 2000, so the table pictures above is not very old... Just a very abused 14 year old table..
There should be a serial number on the frame and rails, get it and call diamond.

The diamond table frame/slate frame is much more sturdy/beefy/heavy duty than it was years ago.. Diamond has made big none visual changes over the years to tge table inside and out.

Rob.M

Last edited:

JG-in-KY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its an authentic Diamond IMHO. I had one that was black also. I have some of the original brochures, maybe I will scan one later.