$3k - $5k to spend on a CNC Mill. Which one?

Jr's Farm

Be inspired!
Silver Member
If you had $3k to $5k to spend for a CNC machine, what machine would you get? I know I may find more CNC centric info somewhere else like CNCZone, but I want to start off with what is relevant to cue building and not just general machine shop/prototyping equipment.

I'm looking for proven equipment and controllers, not some hodge-podge DIY type of unit, although a purpose built DIY would be OK. My primary use would be for cue inlays, but I do some other fabricating and could use a slightly larger CNC for that as well, but it's not necessary.

The XYZ of the largest Taig unit is adequate for me as I'm still tapering on the lathe, so I don't need 30+" of X travel, although I wouldn't rule it out as an option.

At first I thought I would go with the Breeze unit. I know it's a Taig, but I figured that the work and parts Lee put into it might be easier than doing it myself. It comes with some patterns, end mills, 4th axis, tail stock and longer table, as well as some other knick-knacks. But so far I can't find much feedback on Lee's particular machine, so I'm not sure about that one.

Another I've started looking into was something from K2 CNC.
I just started researching some feedback from CNCzone a couple days ago, and admittedly need to do more as there seems to be more feedback, but was hoping someone here might have some real world cue building experience with one.

So, I guess what I'm after is what are some of the cue hobbyists or small time professional builders using? I'm sure $5k won't get me far, but it should get me started on the learning curve. I should also note that the price would be for the machine only, and while I'd like it to have a 4th axis, it's not too terribly important, as I could work around that if I had to. Tooling and CAM software (I have CAD) would be additional and I do have some background already for CNC programming, although further experience will likely be beneficial.

Any help or product feedback is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Frank

Last edited:

almarktool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Frank,
5k should be enough to get you rolling, I use the Storm machine from Lee,
it will do everything you want and more, I'm not sure what the price is on that machine right now, but I am sure it is within your budget, keep in mind Lee's machine comes with 4th axis already spindle to turn shafts and pc software to run it, and some more extras, perhaps buy picking a few things out that you don't need but could add later might get you to hit your price range. The nice thing with his is you can do both shafts and inlays on the same machine, as one part has a spindle for turning shafts and butts, and the other area has a 4th axis to do the inlays, you might be able to get him to drop the spindle and the 4th axis, and then you could just mount a manuel
5c indexer for doing inlays, if you go that route, just make sure you get the machine 4th axis ready, this way there will be a plug already set-up if you want to add a cnc 4th axis later on.

Mark

almarktool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Frank,
so there you have it 6500.00 for the storm, I would then see if you could do what i suggested, get it with out the spindle and 4th axis and perhaps vac table. see what it would cost for the bare min. then you can always add extras later on

Mark

Jr's Farm

Be inspired!
Silver Member
After a few conversations with members here, I'm now contemplating building my own. I have access to a full machine shop, sans CNC though, so I'm hopefull that the machining process' won't be too difficult or costly.

I'm starting my education on DIY CNC's right now, so saying I have a lot to learn would probably be an understatement.

I'm searching on CNCZone at the moment, but finding the right info is like the proverbial needle in a haystack, so if anyone out there that has been down this path and wouldn't mind helping, links to some good documentation would be most appreciated.

Regards,
Frank

almarktool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joey,

I would def request more detailed pictures of that machine before i bought it. also do lots of research

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JoeyInCali said:

It says nothing about accuracy and that is very important on a CNC machine. You need good resolution, that one has .00025, most have .0001. That has good repeatability as do most but it says nothing about mechanical accuracy such as mechanical rigidity, tolerances of ball screws and linear bearings. just my 2 cents worth.

Dick

Jr's Farm

Be inspired!
Silver Member
I knew I should have saved the link........

Some time back while perusing this site, I came across someones gantry style CNC. It was a larger unit, probably similar to K2's 3925, not sure.
In the pic, IIRC, it had plexiglass on the right side, next to a workbench with a small lathe sitting on it. The CNC had a 4th axis I believe.
There was also a hole in the bottom and someone joked being able to put in a raw piece of wood, punch a button, and get a finished cue out of it.

Well, I've been searching all morning and can't seem to find it. Does anyone remember the thread, or better yet, have a link?

Thanks!
Frank

Last edited:

Jr's Farm

Be inspired!
Silver Member
The education continues.....

Right now I'm thinking of building something that meets this criteria.

X=32" +/- (would be nice to do shafts)
Y=14" +/- (probably bigger, depending)
Z=5" +/-
Probably a Sherline 4th axis mount.
Router mount for my Kress, and maybe a PC router for other stuff.
Rigid Linear Rails for X & Y, THK if I can afford it by the time I source everything.
Aluminum and Steel gantry frame
Ball Screws w/preloaded nuts (I think)
Interested in learning more about rack and pinion axis actuation though. Not sure about backlash on that yet though.

That's about all I've researched so far. In my minds eye it would seem to be a nice set-up, allowing for me to do other fabrications in a fairly decent size without tying up too much floor space, and being pretty rigid in the axis travels.

Anyone got pics of their own DIY projects? Seems to me I read a post by Dick (rhncue) awhile back about a unit he built for himself. I'd really like to see some of that (hint, hint).

On a side note, anyone here with any of the K2CNC units? If so, what are your experiences and thoughts of their machines?

Regards,
Frank

Last edited:

Jr's Farm

Be inspired!
Silver Member
Thanks Joey, I must have glossed right over that one.
At first blush it seems like a decent unit, linear rails as opposed to gibs, but it appears that the owner is having issue with the longer than stock X axis. One of the reasons I think I'll try to stay away from the benchtop pillar type CNC's. Too much overhang.

I'll subscibe to the thread and monitor his progress.
Thanks!

cuebuilder

www.cuesbydavesucher.com
Silver Member
Maxnc

Joey, You might want to think about that Maxnc a little. I HAD one. The electronics failed, of course right after the end of the warrentee was up. I ended up building a complete controller system (Gecko Drives) and replacing the spindle with an SKF. Now it runs very well, but I can't call it a "Maxnc" anymore. I also use MachIII to run it and I'm very happy with that.

dzcues

Silver Member
Jr's Farm said:
I knew I should have saved the link........

Some time back while perusing this site, I came across someones gantry style CNC. It was a larger unit, probably similar to K2's 3925, not sure.
In the pic, IIRC, it had plexiglass on the right side, next to a workbench with a small lathe sitting on it. The CNC had a 4th axis I believe.
There was also a hole in the bottom and someone joked being able to put in a raw piece of wood, punch a button, and get a finished cue out of it.

Well, I've been searching all morning and can't seem to find it. Does anyone remember the thread, or better yet, have a link?

Thanks!
Frank

http://www.dzcues.com/cnc_photos.htm

hillscues

American Craftsmanship
Silver Member
When I bought desktop cnc I had them send me a longer table material and lead screw. My buddy who is a mold maker told me to build a new table from scratch. www.pacific-bearing.com makes all kinds of liner motion tables, but they wanted 1100 for a table I my buddy build me one, it kicks ass I?m on a loner computer so I can't post pics right now but I will soon. it is vary important to tram the head my buddy has got my machine running perfect, to sum this story up, you can buy this machine for under 2500 with full Tec support and 1100 for new table this k2 will out weather any stormy breeze. Thanks Darrin

Jr's Farm

Be inspired!
Silver Member
dzcues said:

Bob,

Thanks! That was the one. No wonder I couldn't find it here :rolleyes: Looking in the wrong spot :)

I don't see the info on your site (yet, still looking too), but what are your X,Y and Z numbers?

Great setup! Large footprint, but I'm sure I could find the space if you were looking to get rid of it ;)

Regards,
Frank

Jr's Farm

Be inspired!
Silver Member
hillscues said:
I?m on a loner computer so I can't post pics right now but I will soon.

Darrin,

Thanks for the feedback. Please post pics of your updated table when you can.

Frank

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

Travis Niklich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
K2 cnc

Hi Frank
I have a K2 cnc set up for inlay that might be for sale in the next 6-12 months if I find time to make the new machine. Give me a call and I will talk to you about it.
Travis
618-604-3158

Jr's Farm

Be inspired!
Silver Member
Travis Niklich said:
Hi Frank
I have a K2 cnc set up for inlay that might be for sale in the next 6-12 months if I find time to make the new machine. Give me a call and I will talk to you about it.
Travis
618-604-3158

Travis,

What's the model # and $?