43 to old to start?

Rickw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Too old to start

The nice thing about pool is as long as you're able to stroke the cue and make balls, you're not too old. I played in a tournament against a guy that was in his 90's. He was a former snooker champion. He carried his own stool around with him so he could sit between innings. He wasn't a bad player either.

If you enjoy the game, play it. There are people at every level in this game. You'll find plenty of games where you can be competetive.

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Over 40 said:
Bought a 8' Vitalie table for xmas & found out I love to play.Is 43 to old for a beginner to jion the APA?Would it be fun?
Because of the way the APA handicap system is set up, APA teams are always looking for beginners. Look around to find a team with a group of people you feel good with and join. If one team doesn't work out, don't let that discourage you. Try another.
Once you find the right team for you, you will enjoy learning the game of pool.

Rich R.

Buckster_uk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For pool, your never too old to start playing.

In the UK, if you were starting to play snooker at 43, then it could be a bit of a bad time, due to the fact that alignment, stance etc are big factors in trying to pocket the balls. In pool, it is more about strategy and safeties, rather than concentration on potting due to the pocket sizes.

This is what I think anyway.

stick8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
to old

I am 65yr, with tremers, I have to stop and get my right hand going foward instead of side ways. but I still enjoy the game. approch each shoot with positve attidue. play the table not the man!!!! OLD MAN STICK

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I remember walking into a place year ago and some old man was sitting next to me. He looked like he was on his last legs. He asked me if I wanted to play some and I agreed.

That old guy just destroyed me. He never missed. Only took a pause every one in a while to try to cough up a lung.

I was later told that they call him the 'The Dead Man'. For more than one reason.

Mike

Chucklez65

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
AzHousePro said:
I remember walking into a place year ago and some old man was sitting next to me. He looked like he was on his last legs. He asked me if I wanted to play some and I agreed.

That old guy just destroyed me. He never missed. Only took a pause every one in a while to try to cough up a lung.

I was later told that they call him the 'The Dead Man'. For more than one reason.

Mike

This guy must have made a real impression on you...you've mentioned him on several occasions that I can remember...heh

Never know in this game...and age just does not hinder you that much. Even if you lose some of the stroke, the knowlege that is obtained does not go away easily.

Ive had players ask me if I will rate them in the system with the opposite hand as they say the cannot hit them good with that hand...and they truly cannot hit the balls as well...of course we dont have duel ratings, for obvious reasons, but if I were to rate someone that way, it would not make that much of a difference to me in their rating - I would still rate them pretty close to their current rating...they still have the knowlege...they know what to do...even if they cannot make that ball the same way, they still have the logic and experience it takes to win the game a different way. Others I have talked to want to be lowered simply because the are older and cannot hit the balls as well...but they still have the knowlege and experience to get up there and play and know what to do in situations, it just takes a little time of playing more and they can get that stroke back...

Ultimately. I dont think that age matters that much in pool. Its not like you are running miles or lifting weights. Stamina might play a part, but again, that is in the conditioning and drive of the individual.

Chucklez65

jjinfla

Banned
At 43 you are still a pup. Shame on you for even thinking you are too old. I live at a Del Webb Community (Pulte now) in Florida where there are over 100 men, and women, over 55 who took up the game of pool after they retired. Plenty of the APA teams in the area have people who are over 40. At 43 you might be "the youngster" on the team. I took up the game at 58 back in 98. Jake

dennis

Living To Learn!
Its great to see your enthusiasm,Im 36 I am going to rebuild
my game.I will play better than ever with sound fundamentals.
Good luck in your endeavour to explore this life enriching game.
all the best,later,
dennis:p

Vicki

Mrs. Capone
Silver Member
jjinfla said:
I took up the game at 58 back in 98. Jake

Jake, when I first "met" you I would have thought you were in your early 20's! This is meant as a compliment - you can be very enthusiastic! :D

Take care!

Bluewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
is 43 too old

I started at 50 last august. It is true what people say about the teams. Due to the handicapping system, all teams are always looking for beginners.

Here is kind of how the matches work:

If you are a beginner and play someone who is a little more skilled, at least enough to have the next higher handicap number, you would only have to win 2 games to win, the other person would have to win 3.

But as a beginner, everyone wants to help you learn so that you will enjoy the game and keep playing pool. Last fall I played a girl who had never held a pool stick. We slowed down the match, her coach told her many tips and even though technically she was competing with me, I helped her on telling her how to make a couple of shots and clapped and said great shot every time she made one.

That is how it is with most of us. We just want you to have fun. You will also get to see other pool players who are like you, a beginner, and some who have been playing a little longer. I like watching players play who are better than me because I can learn stuff.

The other thing I like, and this happens over time, you get to know everybody who plays in your league, and I look forward to visiting with my buddies every week. I dont play a match every week but I love going anyway. Also if you get there early, you can usually practice on a table like the one you play on for apa and sometimes even get tips...

It is great. I hope you do join. You will have a blast!!!

Laura

jjinfla

Banned
Vicki, It's amazing how the years slip by. But the mind never ages it just grows as long as you take the time to feed it. Years and exerience have taught me my limitations and as long as my body keeps my mind in check, and I only try to impress the monkey I see in the mirror every day, I am happy. That's why pool is so good for me. It keeps me active, competitive and keeps me looking forward to tomorrow. Otherwise I would probably just belly up to the bar and look forward to happy hour every night and drink myself to oblivion. LOL

T

Tony C.

I used to play straight pool with a guy about 7-8 years ago that was 87 years old. His name was Tom Elliot and he used to be a ref in the 40,s. he showed me the press clippings of him refing Moconis matches and quite a few others.
Anyway he still was able to make balls even with cataracts although he used to have quite a temper when he missed.lol
Anyway, im the same age as you, 43 and im still learning new stuff so youre never too old.

289FIA

Damn .... never thought about age as a criteria to play pool!! I'm 74 years old, haven't played pool since I was in high school, and just ordered an 8' table to put in an addition we're finishing. Hope to BEGIN playing pool in early March. Looking forward to it. Have been reviewing the CD "A Pool Lesson" by Jerry Briesath and have a book on order written by Mark Wilson. Plan on "studying" dilligently!!

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bought a 8' Vitalie table for xmas & found out I love to play.Is 43 to old for a beginner to jion the APA?Would it be fun?
Better yet find the players room in town, learn to play all games on a full sized table.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
have a development plan and timeline.

most new people expect to just pick it up.

keep posting about progress and new experiences.

chitownnorth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The OP is now in his 60s. :eek:
Yes, and he posted on another forum "Bought a $8 harmonica for xmas & found out I love to play. Is 63 too old for a beginner to try out for Jerry Murad's Harmonicats? Would it be fun?"

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
For pool, your never too old to start playing.

In the UK, if you were starting to play snooker at 43, then it could be a bit of a bad time, due to the fact that alignment, stance etc are big factors in trying to pocket the balls. In pool, it is more about strategy and safeties, rather than concentration on potting due to the pocket sizes.

This is what I think anyway.
Holy ancient thread, Batman! I wonder if the OP is still around to tell us of his progress?

Reactions: sjm