S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi fellas,
I had a good tournament in 9ball division of European championships here in Veldhoven, Netherlands finishing at 17th place out of 113 players. I was stopped by none other than Joshua "Killer" Filler who already won gold medal in 10ball division of EC last week. I had a blast in that match, really enjoyed it, i brought Joshua on the double hill with some good shooting and clever safeties. In the end i missed a kick by the smallest of margins after good safety exchange and Joshua ran out for 9:8 victory in front of maybe 100 knowledgeable spectators. Its nice to read your name in news article: azbilliards.com/single-news.php?id=14091;)
I was looking at the livescore page at the time your match was on and you're a MAN giving a great fight to Joshua till the very end. My congratulations, Marek, with your great effort in the last and most difficult discipline of the EC baring in mind it was the 13th day of this great marathon. Are you staying for the Eurotour?

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Congratulations Marek on your great performance. :cool: :thumbup: :cool:

Taking Killer Filler to double hill is HUGE!!!

If our paths ever cross, please remind me with this accomplishment we shouldn't be getting into any action. :grin-square:

Last edited:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Marek, congratulations on a stellar performance.
Finishing 17th and going to the hill with Filler is sure to boost your Fargo rating. What do you think?

I also recently saw that 8 year old video of you taking Ralf Souquet down at hill hill (I think). I was even shaking and holding my breath just watching that bank shot.

Link for anyone who didn't see it....

https://youtu.be/1yYLKi_YfH8

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you! Regarding ET - i cant stay,i have to report back to work on wednesday,EC has burnt half of my yearly vacation days quota. But i plan to come to Leende in September and to Klagenfurt in October. ;)
I quess it was surely worth those vacation days. I wish you to refresh your energy and come back even stronger to the next Eurotours! ;)

Last edited:

Oze147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the last rack I was refreshing the score page every 10 seconds yesterday, rooting for you, but in the end the 8:9 popped up for Filler.

I`m happy for you, that you had a good run in the 9ball, since I had the feeling, that you underachieved a bit in the other disciplines.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
If you want to watch the last rack i shared a vid of it from EPBF on my fb page ;) EPBF has a reporter going through arena here doing commentary of interesting moments and my match with Joshua was deemed worth his attention ;) and you are right,in 14-1 i ran out of fuel at the end of losers bracket as I was REALLY tired,driving 800km to Veldhoven didnt help as well as sleeping 4 hours prior to the trip and working 38 hours in 3 days prior to the trip :D in 10ball i felt good but first David Alcaide played his A-game against me and i was not able to outpower him with that strange break-out-of-the-box rule,second i suffered from glutten poisoning at the end of losers bracket. And in 8ball I lost 7:8 to Skoneczny where i came back from 3:7 and he ran out on double hill,the same with young dutch gun Tim de Ruyter-i had the match in my hands when leading 6:4 but i scratched twice unluckily and that was it..at 7:7 he ran out :( in 9ball i finally got little good luck on my side it showed on the result ;)

please provide your facebook video link. :smile:

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
please provide your facebook video link. :smile:
Just type EPBF in the search and you find its group. There are lots of interesting deciding racks and finishes. It's amazing how cool and easily Joshua manages to play under pressure. In that decider with Marek after his great two rail kick and snooker behind the six Josh managed to hit the one luckily enough for the snooker in return. Finally having ball in hand he made great and the key shot from 4 to 5 but than fairly strange from 6 to 7. That pressure shot on the seven was made easily with confidence which showed again how good he is under pressure.
BTW he just managed to recover after 7:8 vs Ruiz and is playing in semi right now. Those final racks are also in the EPBF group on Facebook.

MeeLosh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Marek, the one thing that strikes me after watching the video is that you really know how to take a loss well, and that's a quality I like seeing in a player. If more people took their losses with a genuine smile and an honest handshake, the way you did, the world of competitive sports would be all the more richer for it.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Marek, the one thing that strikes me after watching the video is that you really know how to take a loss well, and that's a quality I like seeing in a player. If more people took their losses with a genuine smile and an honest handshake, the way you did, the world of competitive sports would be all the more richer for it.

I'll second this. He takes his losses like he takes his wins (if you see his win over Ralf souquet in the link I posted earlier).
What I really dig about Marek is his openness on his work ethic and his perceived shortcomings. It really shows his working class roots and how he understands this is a marathon, not a sprint, and consistency/improvement will be seen in time as the hard work grinding out drills on his home table starts to pay dividends.
If you haven't yet, follow his channel on YouTube. It's good for inspiration when you feel like you are stuck in a rut or just not motivated for that practice session you have scheduled.

MeeLosh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
@Cardigan Kid:
Yeah, I've checked his channel numerous times, especially after he caught my attention with those power draws he performed with Revo. Overall, I'm a fan. :)

Man, I wish I had a pool table at my house. :embarrassed2:

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Joshua is a great kicker, he did his best in the pressure situation. And little luck didnt kill anyone:thumbup: And to be honest - I am in the camp of those who see Joshua as a very passionate player, those are not theatrics I believe, for me when he yelled out of the joy upon making that re-safety shot it was the proof that I did good job putting him under that pressure so I was actually happy about him making that yell :thumbup: Joshua is putting whole heart into his game and it shows during such moments, pure and simple. ;) As for the compliment - thank you! I still have loooong way to go to get to the level where I will be real consistent danger to guys like Joshua, my position play is definitely not as accurate as it should be as well as my 9 on the spot break shot. Also I should lose like 10-15kg to be more stable in my stance and not to sweat as I do in warm conditions. And achieving it while having regular job is not a simple task I tell you :thumbup::eek: But I keep going, we will see where will I stand in 12 months with my game ;)

We'll have to disagree about Filler's antics. Pumping your fist in the air as if you've just made a great shot when in fact you got very lucky to me is immature and disrespectful to your opponent.

Ralf Souquet is every bit as passionate as Filler, minus the theatrics and gamesmanship.