5/16 x 18 vs 5/16 x 14 Joint

cut shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I noticed that Joss uses the 5/16 x 14 instead of the 5/16 x 18 joint. What is the reason for this? Just curious.

Bill the Cat

Proud maker of CAT cues
Silver Member
It's the need for speed.

It takes about 4 fewer revolutions to screw on the shaft:rolleyes::grin::rotflmao1:

On a more serious note. IMHO, there is no appreciable difference between the two pins. It's more of an arbitrary choice by the builder.

HeLLFiSH

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it was cuz Balabushka used the same 5/16x14 pin when they started making cues...it was popular back then...

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it was cuz Balabushka used the same 5/16x14 pin when they started making cues...it was popular back then...

When Joss started they made a least a few 18's because I still have on. I also had a Joss by Stroud with an 18 thread.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It takes about 4 fewer revolutions to screw on the shaft:rolleyes::grin::rotflmao1:

On a more serious note. IMHO, there is no appreciable difference between the two pins. It's more of an arbitrary choice by the builder.

Really though, a quality made 18 thread would be a better thread for cues. The fewer threads the more of a "Jam" fit you have. The more threads the smother and more positive closure the joint would have. It would also close tighter with less effort. If it was not I guess looked down on, a cue maker would not be doing anyone a disservice with the finer thread. For some reason cue makers just don't use it other then Meucci and Huebler. I can't really see any down side other then it may get so tight you can't get the cue apart. I guess you have to do what the public wants and they associate the 5/16 x 14 with high end cues.
Does what I said make any sense? Is there something else I am missing or an argument to be made for the 14 over an 18?

Bill the Cat

Proud maker of CAT cues
Silver Member
Here's my take on it.

Really though, a quality made 18 thread would be a better thread for cues. The fewer threads the more of a "Jam" fit you have. The more threads the smother and more positive closure the joint would have. It would also close tighter with less effort. If it was not I guess looked down on, a cue maker would not be doing anyone a disservice with the finer thread. For some reason cue makers just don't use it other then Meucci and Huebler. I can't really see any down side other then it may get so tight you can't get the cue apart. I guess you have to do what the public wants and they associate the 5/16 x 14 with high end cues.
Does what I said make any sense? Is there something else I am missing or an argument to be made for the 14 over an 18?

Since you quoted me, I guess I'll jump back in.

Yes, what you said makes perfect sense. A finer thread is "smoother" and will provide more leverage (for lack of a better word) for tightening. However, you just don't need (and shouldn't use) that much fouce to properly attach a shaft to a butt.

My lame joke was my way of expressing my opinion about the lack of a difference between any two pins.

IMHO, the pin's function is to hold the cue together. If properly installed, any pin will serve that purpose. With that thought in mind, the choice of pin size and/or thread count is arbitrary.

Just remember, I did say IMHO:p

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since you quoted me, I guess I'll jump back in.

Yes, what you said makes perfect sense. A finer thread is "smoother" and will provide more leverage (for lack of a better word) for tightening. However, you just don't need (and shouldn't use) that much fouce to properly attach a shaft to a butt.

My lame joke was my way of expressing my opinion about the lack of a difference between any two pins.

IMHO, the pin's function is to hold the cue together. If properly installed, any pin will serve that purpose. With that thought in mind, the choice of pin size and/or thread count is arbitrary.

Just remember, I did say IMHO:p

What size are the pins on the cues in your attached pictures?

Bill the Cat

Proud maker of CAT cues
Silver Member
I use three different pins.

What size are the pins on the cues in your attached pictures?

I use three different pins 5/16-18, 5/16-14 and 3/8-10.

Originally, I started with the 5/16-18 mainly for economic reasons. It's a "standard" thread and I already had taps :eek:

Over time I added the 5/16-14 and 3/8-10 to my inventory. Although my presonal favorite is the 3/8-10, I still use the other pins in cues that I build.

I've considered trying others, such as, Radial, modified 3/8-10, etc., etc., but just haven't seen the need.

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
I can't really see any down side other then it may get so tight you can't get the cue apart.
So that's why you often see two guys trying to pry Meucci's apart...never thought of the pitch playing a role. Very perceptive.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Janes and Stroud knew and talked to GB in the early days, I am confident that was part of the influence in their choices.

Also, later Mottey talked to Szam as well as Dan Janes when he was starting out...and he ended up using mostly the 14 thread as well. There are a lot of connections and heritage to trace. The 14 thread has been a sort of "standard" for a long time.

IMHO the 18 and 10 thread are just as good.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It won't close tighter with less effort.

It will take more vibration to loosen it.

The mechanical advantage of a finer thread exists only with a dynamic load. For tightening (axial force), the pitch of the screw makes almost no difference.

dld

Thanks Double, once again, short, straight, and to the point.

To the OP and other various points-and-posters.

Balabushka, et all, almost certainly used the 14 because Rambo used it.
Same with Frank Paradice.

Rambo used it because Brunswick had used it for decades.

So why did Brunswick use it? IMHO - as Double pointed out in another thread,
you could not just waltz into your local hardware store and
be in the cue biz. FWIW - I was of this opinion long before I ever saw a
post on the subject.

I consider it telling that many people who certainly should know better,
tend to have a look-down-their-noses attitude toward 5/16 - 18 pins.

Perhaps because production lines like Viking, then Meucci, not to mention
a host of cheap, low quality imports, used them.

But note, Palmer, Gina and Tad also use/used the 5/16 - 18, as did
Bert Schrager on his early piloted joint cues(though he didn't like small
pins or SS joints, buy hey, nobody's perfect).

As far as functionality - IMHO - ther is no discernible difference between
the way the two pins perform.

Dale

Last edited:

Lexicologist71

Rabid Schuler fanatic
Silver Member
Aside from the points already made, if gluing an 18 tpi screw into wood, a standard tap may not give the same quality threads as the coarser taps. I use the 14 tpi, so this is just my best guess (aka speculation).

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aside from the points already made, if gluing an 18 tpi screw into wood, a standard tap may not give the same quality threads as the coarser taps. I use the 14 tpi, so this is just my best guess (aka speculation).

In the abstract, perhaps. I have not ever seen any evidence the 14 tap
gives any better threads than an 18 tap. Have you?

Dale

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
5/16-18 was a common, easily available screw, which might be the main reason it's common in some brands that's been around for a long time