55 Ball Run

driven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Mark

55 is a lot of balls, good shooting.
you did say the word Help in your post and I sure hope you don't mind but I gotta tell you the same thing a friend told me some time ago.

I noticed at 1 minute and again at 5:15 the back hand kicks out to the side a little. I am not sure what the instructors call this, maybe steering??
I used to do this to get "better" english. Until about a couple decades ago a good friend, Puerto Rican Louie said to me:
"Don't do That"

A straight stroke get all the spin you need. Maybe more. not to mention accuracy.
It was the first time someone
helped me with the game.
It was good advice then and still is, I think.
I am not saying a person can't play a great game like this, I know plenty of people can have their way with my game with the same kind of stroke.
It just seems kind of complicated. Much simpler to go straight back and straight through...
simpler. I didn't say easier.
thx for the video, keep them coming
steven
ps If you are reading this Louie, thx.

markgw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Mark

55 is a lot of balls, good shooting.
you did say the word Help in your post and I sure hope you don't mind but I gotta tell you the same thing a friend told me some time ago.

I noticed at 1 minute and again at 5:15 the back hand kicks out to the side a little. I am not sure what the instructors call this, maybe steering??
I used to do this to get "better" english. Until about a couple decades ago a good friend, Puerto Rican Louie said to me:
"Don't do That"

A straight stroke get all the spin you need. Maybe more. not to mention accuracy.
It was the first time someone
helped me with the game.
It was good advice then and still is, I think.
I am not saying a person can't play a great game like this, I know plenty of people can have their way with my game with the same kind of stroke.
It just seems kind of complicated. Much simpler to go straight back and straight through...
simpler. I didn't say easier.
thx for the video, keep them coming
steven
ps If you are reading this Louie, thx.

Thanks so much for the tip Driven. It's just a confidence thing. I have been trusting my stroke more lately especially after watching the video.. I worked on staying down and still all week and keeping my elbow from dropping also. I'm gaining more confidence the more I practice. I have been able to practice everyday this month which is rare:). Thanks again, Mark

driven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks so much for the tip Driven. It's just a confidence thing. I have been trusting my stroke more lately especially after watching the video.. I worked on staying down and still all week and keeping my elbow from dropping also. I'm gaining more confidence the more I practice. I have been able to practice everyday this month which is rare:). Thanks again, Mark

yeah, you said it. trust your stroke. the stroke makes the shot.

aim. and do it well.
don't move. very important. If you move and make the shot you must have been doing something wrong to begin with. true.
let the stroke make the shot.
It is the only thing that can.
You might have to give up this guitar thing, you know..
best of luck markgw.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Mark: Nice shooting. 55 is a good number.

You ended up with some pretty good break shots. On the last one, I thought you had a reasonable pattern to end up on another good one. Had the ball gone in, you were in a nice spot to continue.

I noticed you have a couple of my problems, although probably not to the degree I have them. Chicken wing where the arm goes out to the side after a shot. Usually a long cut. I have been trying and trying to get rid of mine. Getting a little better at it, but it is a process. Also sometimes when you are doing a short shot, maybe with a little draw, you do a poke stroke and kind of pull the stroke back. I have been told by people to quit poking and just stroke the ball, so I will just pass it on to you. Much easier said than done.

Nice number and keep them coming!

rikdee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I noticed you have a couple of my problems, although probably not to the degree I have them. Chicken wing where the arm goes out to the side after a shot. Usually a long cut. I have been trying and trying to get rid of mine. Getting a little better at it, but it is a process. Also sometimes when you are doing a short shot, maybe with a little draw, you do a poke stroke and kind of pull the stroke back. I have been told by people to quit poking and just stroke the ball, so I will just pass it on to you. Much easier said than done.

Recently, I have returned to practice with my Buddy Hall Cue Guide. A simple training device, there is no way one can successfully execute full strokes through it with drooping shoulders or 'outrigger elbows". Performed at less than delivery speed, it will allow one to concentrate on the mechanics of stroking straightly and adapt solutions by subtle changes in stance, grip, and arm action. Another problem I have come to recognize is sometimes applying a bit more (unanticipated) speed to the delivery stroke and thus adding to stroke accuracy woes. I now concentrate on matching the speed of the delivery with that of my practice strokes. Over the past few weeks, I don't think I've ever hit the ball straighter. To your last point, I eliminated pokey strokes long ago by following the words of the great Maurice Daly wherein his book he admonishes, "Let the stroke finish, damn it". Sage advice for sure.

markgw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You ended up with some pretty good break shots. On the last one, I thought you had a reasonable pattern to end up on another good one. Had the ball gone in, you were in a nice spot to continue.

Nice number and keep them coming!

Thanks so much Dennis, I have really improved on all that with the chicken wing thing. Two things have helped me. I keep my head down and still and I stroke through the ball without dropping my elbow. That in turn helped with the poke stroke. The videos are very helpful to make improvements..Thanks for all the helpful feedback all. I love this forum and all the knowledge that lives here!!!

markgw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice run. Good stroking except for those two chicken wings on your 2nd and 3rd break shots (ball 15 and 29).

DTL

Thank you DTL!! I have been working on it for over a week now. I seem to be improving my shotmaking with my confidence growing slowly by trusting my stroke more, and not jumping up all over the place...I'm really appreciative of the feedback from you and all the other knowledge here....Shoot Straight and Good Luck DTL!!!

bral

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice run and let me compliment you on posting your video, it can be hard to post something for public criticism. :)

I need to post a run here myself, I've been getting more practice in and patterns are becoming visible that I previously couldn't see. I'd be thrilled to run my age, ha.

driven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice run and let me compliment you on posting your video, it can be hard to post something for public criticism. :)

I need to post a run here myself, I've been getting more practice in and patterns are becoming visible that I previously couldn't see. I'd be thrilled to run my age, ha.

not criticism at all.
not at all.
post it up.
learn, get better.
it's why we are here.
A couple dozen set of eyes just might see something you are missing.
good luck and good shooting.
steven

poolmouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Woah" (at 20:10)

Priceless. :)

I can see you hitting 100 if you keep practicing without losing your family/game/work balance.

Last edited: