$740,000 First Prize for World Heyball Championship in China, March 25, 2023

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wanting to go to China takes a lot of motivation in the current Covid climate.

Its an attractive offer and China is a travel destination. The threat of external factors creating an unpleasant experience is high.
My concern is they want blood samples or to experiment a Chinese vaccine or test other conditions on foreign players.
Nobody gives a shit, china included.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Nothing 'kiddie' about Chin.8b tho. Tough ass game. I just find it not that entertaining to watch. They do give away some big bux. Appleton won their big event in '15. He made around $100,000 and this yr. its $740,000. Wow. Melling and Shaw have done ok as well.

Demographics favor this and snooker being the main billiard forms of the next century. Like you I respect the talent but it is very difficult to watch. There is some good content on YouTube, Instagram, and TikTok from players and commentators, so it certainly has a huge following. But I wonder if the prize funds are propped up by their government.

None of my local rooms have a table so I have never played the game (other than playing 8 ball on a 10 foot snooker table, which is probably close).

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The table concept is excellent for today's demand for the challenge.
Having a culture war staged in the venue of billiards while poisoning the world with fentanyl at will, coupled, with the past US/Dr. Fauci and the National Instituted of Health deliberate COVID 19 "gain of function" at Wuhan, China to control the masses through Big Pharma is beyond the priceless, yet to be determined.

It will be a showing for those internationals warm to the China intended romance to rule by its order.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The table concept is excellent for today's demand for the challenge.
Having a culture war stage in the venue of billiards while poisoning the world with fentanyl at will, coupled, with the past US/Dr. Fauci and the National Instituted of Health deliberate COVID 19 "gain of function" at Wuhan, China to control the masses through Big Pharma is beyond the priceless, yet to be determined.

It will be a showing for those internationals warm to the China intended romance to rule by its order.
WTF????? Might want to get your tin-foil hat adjusted. You're picking up shit the rest of us don't get. Calm down, have a large Thorazine smoothie and try to stick to pool.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Demographics favor this and snooker being the main billiard forms of the next century. Like you I respect the talent but it is very difficult to watch. There is some good content on YouTube, Instagram, and TikTok from players and commentators, so it certainly has a huge following. But I wonder if the prize funds are propped up by their government.

None of my local rooms have a table so I have never played the game (other than playing 8 ball on a 10 foot snooker table, which is probably close).

actually this game is taking a lot of young potential snooker players in china, to the point that snooker isn't growing in china anymore. chinese snooker player ding junhui said this some months ago. it's a worry for the pro snooker tour.

to my knowledge prize money isn't propped up by others than sponsors and advertisements. last time i watched it was iphone, burger king and some other big time corp in the ads. when they started the chinese 8-ball thing it was just billiard industry sponsors (and prize money wasn't anywhere near this). the chinese are tv-sport consumers, watching sports live has never been big there. so the lesson is, tap into anything that a percentage of the chinese would like to watch -> make money. snooker did this and prize money hiked up a lot.

it's my understanding that there are two outfits competing for players and viewers and that's why one of them chose the silly name "heyball". i might watch this if chris melling participates.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
actually this game is taking a lot of young potential snooker players in china, to the point that snooker isn't growing in china anymore. chinese snooker player ding junhui said this some months ago. it's a worry for the pro snooker tour.

to my knowledge prize money isn't propped up by others than sponsors and advertisements. last time i watched it was iphone, burger king and some other big time corp in the ads. when they started the chinese 8-ball thing it was just billiard industry sponsors (and prize money wasn't anywhere near this). the chinese are tv-sport consumers, watching sports live has never been big there. so the lesson is, tap into anything that a percentage of the chinese would like to watch -> make money. snooker did this and prize money hiked up a lot.

it's my understanding that there are two outfits competing for players and viewers and that's why one of them chose the silly name "heyball". i might watch this if chris melling participates.

Thanks for the background. Do you know what the other outfit calls itself or the game? I've never been able to identify the pinyin name for what we call Chinese 8 ball.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
kinda in the same boat. serious skill involved but just not all that fun to watch. a lot of matches are won with scores by the winner of less than 13games. game would never fly here in the U.S.
I don’t think it’ll fly over there either….it might be a Joy promotion but I see no joy in an audience…it has the atmosphere of 9-ball in Qatar.

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
there are two in brooklyn
haweeda tavern in sunset park
i love them because they’re tall
like a snooker table

excellent, very challenging

telinoz

Registered
My local room has these tables in Sydney, Australia.
They are tough to play on, but if you want to improve potting accuracy then worth a go.

The prize money in these events has been significant.
Obviously it is a push to be bigger than any other cuesport.
I don't think it will go mainstream globally though.