76 Ball Run

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Another nice run, Mike. You're fun to watch because of the pace of your play and the economy of stick movements. Do you play at the same pace when you are in competition, such as in your 14.1 league?

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Thanks

Another nice run, Mike. You're fun to watch because of the pace of your play and the economy of stick movements. Do you play at the same pace when you are in competition, such as in your 14.1 league?

Thanks for the comments. Yes, I play at the same pace when I play League. I find, if I slow up a whole bunch, I will miss shots. League play is hard b/c the tables are cheap and always dirty. The balls do not break up easily. Those factors play on my mind and will knock me off my game.
Many times, I say to myself when I am there. "What the hell am I doing here" It is something I need to work on. I Evey the players that can go to Real pool rooms with Gold Crowns, Diamond tables etc. Some great pool room photos I have seen posted on the Main Forum.

Winston846

Aspiring 14.1 Player
Silver Member
The more and more I watch runs like this, the more and more I think I play the game too slow and try to think too much. My thinking probably gets me into more trouble than anything else. I think I'm going to try the approach of NOT thinking and just shooting balls.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The more and more I watch runs like this, the more and more I think I play the game too slow and try to think too much. My thinking probably gets me into more trouble than anything else. I think I'm going to try the approach of NOT thinking and just shooting balls.

I guarantee you that the fast players who are good are doing plenty of thinking; they're just processing information and making decisions a lot quicker than the slow players.

Winston846

Aspiring 14.1 Player
Silver Member
I guarantee you that the fast players who are good are doing plenty of thinking; they're just processing information and making decisions a lot quicker than the slow players.

Funny thing is, with my background in computers (including programming), I can generally think and process information pretty quickly (logic, equations, algorithms, etc.). But when it comes to mapping out a table of 14 balls... I don't know....

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Here is the Link to a 76 ball run.

http://vimeo.com/14566427

My dogs were going crazy in the next room. So i went to take a look. It takes about 30 sec. for me to come back into the game room. So, hang in there when you see me leave.

Good Stuff Mikey !!!

I dont know what was more hypnotic, the Pink Floyd or how well you played.....When i finally came to you were shooting a off the pack break shot and that knocked me right back out....Nice Shot !!!

J/K, LOL

all i can say is be more careful in running into balls especially late in the racks...try to be a little more selective on the last few balls you are gonna leave. making sure that they link up better without too much movement !!

it seemed that the last rack had the least problems, maybe that was the breaking point since you felt that you can shoot a little more free that rack and it ended up getting you in the end !

Keep it up, and congrats on the month's victory !

-Steve

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
I'm hoping those patterns come with experience! :p

I've seen (and done) plenty of 3 ball runs the wrong way.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Thanks

Good Stuff Mikey !!!

I dont know what was more hypnotic, the Pink Floyd or how well you played.....When i finally came to you were shooting a off the pack break shot and that knocked me right back out....Nice Shot !!!

J/K, LOL

all i can say is be more careful in running into balls especially late in the racks...try to be a little more selective on the last few balls you are gonna leave. making sure that they link up better without too much movement !!

it seemed that the last rack had the least problems, maybe that was the breaking point since you felt that you can shoot a little more free that rack and it ended up getting you in the end !

Keep it up, and congrats on the month's victory !

-Steve

Thanks Steve. The comments & suggestions are well appreciated. The last rack was well opened and I told myself to be careful. Things went wrong from there specially the last three shots before I missed. I missed my position by an inch on all those shots and they lead up to the stupid shot that I took to get that real bad position on the shot up the corner that I missed.
Most of my practices are like that, missing one key ball to end nice runs, or scratching etc. But...... I have come a long way and I still am working on it. I will post the 61 ball run with a missed shot that I still can't believe I missed and then I continued to run 35 ending with a scratch off the rack. One ball, almost a 97.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Your very welcome....I would give you some Greenies for Great Pool, Music and the August Win....but it wont let me right now, it says i have to give to some others first !!!

-STeve

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Very good shooting my friend! Even bc your *lovley monsters* tried to catch you :p

When i saw your first 2-3 balls on the last rack i would have been sure that this will be for sure a run deep in the 100s.........but that s straight pool :) one crappy shot-just one second no concentration....."sit down plw" ^^

keep on shootin- i m sure, everyone who would play u would know, that an error could be his last error against a player like you!

lg
Ingo

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Match

Played a League 14.1 match today and played a very good player. He couldn't miss the first half of the match and had me down 66 to 2.
I started to chip away and got him at the end 150 to 138.
Good match but it took a lot of work to win that match.

sascha

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played a League 14.1 match today and played a very good player. He couldn't miss the first half of the match and had me down 66 to 2.
I started to chip away and got him at the end 150 to 138.
Good match but it took a lot of work to win that match.

good job :thumbup:

sausage

Banned

that's generally true however, we've all seen the best players run into a 'mind-bog' when playing this game. one day you can be 'mindlessly' knocking in balls and the next, looking at a rack like a slack-jawed moron. your brain must be hitting on all cylinders to play this game 'effortlessly' and then you have to get yourself 'in-stroke'; that intangible mindset that allows us to effortlessly think five balls ahead....

markgw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
that's generally true however, we've all seen the best players run into a 'mind-bog' when playing this game. one day you can be 'mindlessly' knocking in balls and the next, looking at a rack like a slack-jawed moron. your brain must be hitting on all cylinders to play this game 'effortlessly' and then you have to get yourself 'in-stroke'; that intangible mindset that allows us to effortlessly think five balls ahead....

Got into El Paso Texas today for a show tomorrow and to my surprise there was Clicks Pool Hall 1 block from the Hotel. I practiced runs for 3 hours and got 24,28,29,32 and 49 was my high run. They had really nice gold crowns with clean balls and the table rolled true. I wish I had that table to practice on:) Nice run Mike!!!!

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
my 2 cents

Another nice run.

There were 3 or 4 times in the first rack where I said to myself, "what does he have?', and then "I don't like having to shoot that" but you would just get down and quickly shoot them in. No hesitation on shooting balls in the top two pockets. Never a doubt.

Second rack they opened fine and you picked them off fine. I was wondering if you were going to use one of the balls that eventually was part of the combination for your break shot. It was not until you shot off the combination that a few possible break shots were manufactured.

Behind the rack break shot they opened great but your cue ball kind of died. What did you use on that shot? I was thinking you would use high left and come out to the middle but it looked like you were cueing center. You took care of business up top quickly and then started picking them off again. Lots of stop shots. I could not tell what your break ball and key ball were going to be but no problem for you.

Another nice break and you start picking them off. You rarely bump a ball when you don't have to. Your end pattern was a little dicey after you made that ball in the bottom right and the one next to it drifted over. You had to shoot diagonally up table and then flirted with the side but you got there ok. A little flat.

Not much on the break but just enough for another break shot after your body english helped that shot go in up top. Your cue ball was stuck to the rack for a second until a ball thankfully knocked it loose. The balls were still kind of messy and I figured you would draw into them next. You had to perform some very close surgery to take apart this rack and in the end you had to make some longer cuts and travel the cue ball a bit but it came out good in the end.

Wow. Big angle. off the rack and 3 balls go in and everything looks open. Tough leave on the penultimate shot.

Good Shooting, as usual.:thumbup: