8-Ball Bible... Have you read it?

ShanksMcShankly

Grid Lock
Silver Member
I play a lot of bar box 8-Ball... I come across this book 8-Ball Bible: A Guide to Bar Table Play by R. Givens and it looks to be a good read. It's touted to be the definitive text on bar box 8-Ball and seem to have good reviews but you how hard those could be to trust. So, have you read it,or know someone who has? Is the book S#!t and you know something else I should be reading?

Thanks in advance AZB! A forum is only as good as its members and the wealth of knowledge and wisdom found on this board is top notch :thumbup:

ActionGene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The book is garbage. Complete waste of time. You should avoid at all costs... :rolleyes: :)

Just Kidding! I am reading it right now and it is phenomenal. Filled with knowledge. I wish no other pool player would ever read this book again!!! It will make my competition too good!

P.S. Also please NEVER EVER read Phil Capelle: "Play Your Best Eight Ball." :)

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read it last year. I thought it was a decent read. There were a lot of diagrams along with some easy formulas for kicking. I really need to go back and memorize the formulas for kicking (I can't remember what I had for breakfast so just one read doesn't do it for me as far as remembering them). I tried one of them right after reading and it was darn close. It was certainly better than just an outright guess, or poke and hope. There was also a lot of strategy discussed which was pretty good.

DavidMNienow

Glamour Dave
Silver Member
You DEFINITELY want to also add Phil Capelle's 'Play Your Best 8-Ball' to your library. It has excellent information to learn and incorporate into your game.

I for one am good enough to not be afraid of anyone at the table no matter what books they read. :grin:

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Not only is it a good book but it is being revised as we speak, with diagram upgrades and the addition of another 50 pages. Be ready in about a month. You can purchase it at my site.

Beard

whitewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You DEFINITELY want to also add Phil Capelle's 'Play Your Best 8-Ball' to your library. It has excellent information to learn and incorporate into your game.

I for one am good enough to not be afraid of anyone at the table no matter what books they read. :grin:

The original poster asked for opinions from people who have read the book. Have you read the book?

I have read Capelle's 'Play Your Best 8-Ball' and the '8 Ball Bible'. The 8 Ball Bible is so much better that I would receommend throwing Capelle's book into the trash can. BTW, this book is also just as useful for big table play.

ShanksMcShankly

Grid Lock
Silver Member
Not only is it a good book but it is being revised as we speak, with diagram upgrades and the addition of another 50 pages. Be ready in about a month. You can purchase it at my site.

Beard

Awww Dang! I was just about to order it but now I have to wait a month to get the newest edition...

So can I preorder one from you Beard? I'd like to have it as soon as humanly possible...

In the meantime, I totally need something to read...

Which one is better "The 99 Critical Shots in Pool" by Ray Martin or "Byrne's Complete Book of Pool Shots" by Robert Byrne?

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
The original poster asked for opinions from people who have read the book. Have you read the book?

I have read Capelle's 'Play Your Best 8-Ball' and the '8 Ball Bible'. The 8 Ball Bible is so much better that I would receommend throwing Capelle's book into the trash can. BTW, this book is also just as useful for big table play.

I have both, and I agree with the fact that the 8-ball Bible is a more thorough tome about 8-ball-on-a-barbox than Phil Capelle's book. However, I wouldn't go as far as to say one should throw Phil's book in the trash. (Phil's book is quite good, and is a good "general purpose 8-baller's guide.")

What are true, are the following:

1. The 8-ball Bible more thoroughly covers the game's ins and outs on the barbox. There isn't a more comprehensive guide to this specific game on *very* specific equipment than this one.

2. The chapter on the various barbox cue balls *alone* is worth the price of the entire book. The author first explains the differences (heavy Red Dot cue ball used on Dynamo "trap door" tables; Valley tables with the Aramith green-logo'ed magnetic ball; slug/core balls; etc.), shows you some shots, explains where the shots are useful, and *then* gets into the physics of why things happen that way, if you choose to read that far. He will have tempted you with enough knowledge about how thing are happening the way they are, though, to cause you to want to know more.

3. All chapters are set up that way. In other words, as you read the chapters, you first see something useful/unique, you see examples that you can use right away (in other words, you can stop reading, and go right to the table to try it out), and only if you're interested in knowing more about the "hows" and "whys" do you continue to read.

4. The author's writing style is very engaging -- as you read, you'll find you're hooked.

Like I said, this book is a "Chilton's Manual" for 8-ball on a barbox. There's no better guide to *this* game on *this* equipment.

-Sean

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member

Beard

I've heard tons of great things about this book and always wanted it. Looks like I'll be ordering it as soon as I get back from Tunica.

The Beard has a great website, btw, in case there are some people on here who haven't checked it out. I could surf on it for hours......

whitewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have both, and I agree with the fact that the 8-ball Bible is a more thorough tome about 8-ball-on-a-barbox than Phil Capelle's book. However, I wouldn't go as far as to say one should throw Phil's book in the trash. (Phil's book is quite good, and is a good "general purpose 8-baller's guide.")

What are true, are the following:

1. The 8-ball Bible more thoroughly covers the game's ins and outs on the barbox. There isn't a more comprehensive guide to this specific game on *very* specific equipment than this one.

2. The chapter on the various barbox cue balls *alone* is worth the price of the entire book. The author first explains the differences (heavy Red Dot cue ball used on Dynamo "trap door" tables; Valley tables with the Aramith green-logo'ed magnetic ball; slug/core balls; etc.), shows you some shots, explains where the shots are useful, and *then* gets into the physics of why things happen that way, if you choose to read that far. He will have tempted you with enough knowledge about how thing are happening the way they are, though, to cause you to want to know more.

3. All chapters are set up that way. In other words, as you read the chapters, you first see something useful/unique, you see examples that you can use right away (in other words, you can stop reading, and go right to the table to try it out), and only if you're interested in knowing more about the "hows" and "whys" do you continue to read.

4. The author's writing style is very engaging -- as you read, you'll find you're hooked.

Like I said, this book is a "Chilton's Manual" for 8-ball on a barbox. There's no better guide to *this* game on *this* equipment.

-Sean

Different strokes for different folks: What I liked best about the 8 Ball Bible was that 'strategy' was greatly emphasized and integrated through out the book.

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Awww Dang! I was just about to order it but now I have to wait a month to get the newest edition...

So can I preorder one from you Beard? I'd like to have it as soon as humanly possible...

In the meantime, I totally need something to read...

Which one is better "The 99 Critical Shots in Pool" by Ray Martin or "Byrne's Complete Book of Pool Shots" by Robert Byrne?

Yeah, you can preorder. Better to just leave me contact info tho, so I can alert you to when it is coming out. Plus, the printing cost with the new format and extra pages is going to go up considerably. So the price of the new edition is going to go up approx. $5 or so too. That's why it is best to wait until everything has been worked out.

Beard

You can PM me with your info

skankhammer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 8 ball bible, to me is a great book. It deals with the strategy of the game. It is meant for bar table play, but as mentioned in an above post carries over a little to big table play. There is no basic instruction, on fundamentals. It has really helped my game. 99 critical shots is a classic, as far as I am concerned. I would highly recommend it also.

ShanksMcShankly

Grid Lock
Silver Member
Finally read it!

Since I first started this thread last year I have read many books on our favorite subject. I've read everything from Koehler's Science of Pocket Billiards to some obscure 101 shots book from Meucci (as far as I can tell).

I've learned quite a great deal from the many good books and even a couple of the not so good books. Nothing has taught me as much about how to play "Winning 8-Ball" as the 8-Ball Bible!

The knowledge in this books just flows out in great tides of wisdom. I love the explainations of the different effects of the cue balls used on different tables everywhere. That alone has made me a lot more confident at the tables no matter where I'm playing.

By far the most game changing book I have ever read. The sections regarding safety play are tremendous. This on it's own made me change the entire way I play 8-Ball. This book has taught me to look at the table differently and given me the proper formula to really understand winning strategy.

On a more tragic note. I have recently found out that the author Mr. Randall Givens has passed away on February 6th 2013. It saddens me to know that we have lost yet another great old-schooler. We are lucky to have so much of his knowledge passed on to us in script.

Rest in Peace Randall Givens 1940-2013

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doesn't appear the revised version was ever published. Excellent book, sad news about the author's passing.

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
I guard my autographed 1st edition copy of The 8 Ball Bible with my life! While it is an amazing book covering 8 ball on a 7ft bar-box....some of us actually live in a region where 8ft bar-boxes are plentiful....the information still translate well to the larger table. Every time I read it, I improve my game just a bit more...well worth the price!!

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
I posted this a while back.
Originally Posted by freddy the beard
Beard

Unfortunately, Randi Givens never got to finish the revised edition. He passed away suddenly, Feb 6 of this year. The original edition is finally back, to some extent, on the market again. I do have it. For months after his death there were hardly any of his books available because Randi ran out of his own inventory just before he died and was in the process of reordering but hadnt gotten around to it. Also, because he was never noted for keeping an accurate filing system or records, for months no one even knew who the printer of his books was.

Beard

The old autographed copies are now collector's items. I have a few of those that are still new, but I am going to sit on them for awhile.

Last edited: