8 Ball ghost & breaking dead

Flats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been playing the 8 ball ghost and if I break dead, I'll rerack and break again until I make a ball (to practice my break) and take ball in hand, my friend says this isn't fair to the ghost...who's right?

GMAC

Flip it.
Silver Member
Been playing the 8 ball ghost and if I break dead, I'll rerack and break again until I make a ball (to practice my break) and take ball in hand, my friend says this isn't fair to the ghost...who's right?

You break dry too bad. You take BIH from there - If you choose to break again you have to take a lose of game otherwise you be cheating the ghost.

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
Here's how I do it.

Since making a ball on the break in 8 ball can be a good or bad thing, I practice two types of breaks.

One is what I call a safety break in that no ball is made, the rack is opened up but the balls are mostly at one end of the table and are not sprend out open all over the table, the cue ball is back up at the head end. I know the thought about an easy break just pop in your heads, and no its not a easy break, but a break the sends balls to the rails and so on, just not a real hard break. It takes time to get the speed down to do this.

This makes for a hard run out, makes the incoming person decided what to do. Basiclly, I'm controlling the game from the break and not hoping to make a ball, which may or may not be a good thing based on the layouts of the ball, ie. clusters, balls on rails, balls in way of your balls and so on.

The next one is the what I call smack the shit out of the rack. This is what most people do hoping to make a ball. This is OK when there are only limited number of balls on the table, but in 8 ball, it's a not always the best to do. It really depends on the the table and how the balls are breaking.

Ok, after he break, I play as if I was playing against another person in a game. If I make a ball on the break, I keep shooting until I run out,play a safe on myself or miss.

If I play a safe against myself, I will try to respond to that safe. If I do a good hit, I switch to the "other player mode" and shoot until I run out, play another safe or miss. If I miss responding to a safe, thats a lost and I start over.

So, I just alternate between solids or stripes until the 8 is made like in a real game.

This style of practcing has helped me in competetion because it is very close to how 8 ball is played.

When practicing a game, it is best to have that practice be as close as possible to the real game and even better if the practice games are harder than the real ones.