8 ball out of steel and brass

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
The part where he files the back bit off round
Being stainless steel, that would have taken all damn day if he did do that, which ive never seen anyone file off that much material, would be hard as hell unless it's a special tool I've never used or heard of

Same with the spherical boring lol, pretty neat to see it done like that though, no matter how long that too would take, and it would take a good long while

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would think not. I believe brass is heavier than steel.
Both materials have a range of common densities due to slightly different compositions. A good source of numbers for stuff like this is:

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/metal-alloys-densities-d_50.html

Densities:
Brass: 8.4 to 8.73 (times water or grams/cc)
SS: 7.48 to 8.0

It seems that brass is always heavier at least for the common alloys.

Since the 8 has a fat bottom, he would have had to put a 180-degree-rotated number in the other side of the ball, or the ball would have been heavier towards the bottom of the 8.

So what he actually made was a "Crazy 8" ball. :thumbup: Two jokes in one. But he really should have shown it in a game.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
https://youtu.be/KKiHgBhW8UQ

This guy made an 8 ball out of steel and brass. It looks super nice. If you like machines and pool, you will like the video...
The guy is getting a million views a day right now. I'd like to ask him to show it in a game with regular balls, but he also has a jillion comments.

Does the rounding operation with two separate rotating axes (5:00) guarantee a sphere?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I want it. ...
A couple of these ought to do it.:groucho:

CropperCapture[68].jpg

Only a thousand francs. How much could that be in real money?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 2.250" solid steel precision ground ball. I was thinking of trying to hit it, but fear I'd crack my ferrule or crack an object ball. The thing weighs a ton!

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I have a 2.250" solid steel precision ground ball. I was thinking of trying to hit it, but fear I'd crack my ferrule or crack an object ball. The thing weighs a ton!
Probably around 25-30 ounces - enough to make hitting it with an 18-20 ounce cue interesting.

pj
chgo

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is an eight ball out of wood. Somewhat larger than regulation...

I found it interesting that he turned a sphere without having any actual curved shape to work from -- the roundness comes just from using many different orientations while turning and having a good cup to sit against.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
The guy is getting a million views a day right now. I'd like to ask him to show it in a game with regular balls, but he also has a jillion comments.

He does great work restoring old tools. One of his videos inspired me to get and restore a couple of bench micrometers a year ago.

Does the rounding operation with two separate rotating axes (5:00) guarantee a sphere?
Haven't worked out a proof (justnum?) but it seems to me like it would.

Dave

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Use it for selling cues...you can say they hit a ton.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I kept waiting for him to cut the 8 into two pieces so he could press each side into the rest of the ball.