8 Ball, What Do You Do?

purpdrag

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How many times out of 10 do you think you could follow the 3 ball into the side instead!

I think I could make that 2 or 3 times out of ten, almost as good as cutting it into one of the corners, which I would guess I would make 4 or 5 out of ten.

It's interesting that one of my mentors of the game, who is still better than me claims that that follow shot will almost never go and he would never try it. He questioned me once after going for that type of shot when the opponents object ball was right in front of the pocket. I missed in that case, but normally could make that one more than half the time, plus even on the miss, now my ball is blocking the pocket instead of his.

He didn't even have the concept of hitting it fairly softly with draw on the cue to impart follow on my object ball.

purpdrag

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My attempts...

http://youtu.be/vKBS3g5PO_g

6c5tR.png

This shot is on one of the cards in the Monks deck of pool shot cards. With a little bit of practice I was making this 50% of the time. You've exaggerated the lines a bit in this drawing though. It never gets that far away from the side pockets. Also, as someone else pointed out, I wouldn't want to try this on an unfamiliar table without being able to practice it 5 or 10 times first.

purpdrag

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1/2 ball hit, cb and ob should go same distance. Block the pocket, and dare him on the bank shot, or make him play safe and move his 3 from in front of the pocket.

CueTable Help

For me, this is a low percentage shot. I tend to hit it a bit too hard, so the 8 would not be blocking the pocket. If I try too hard to NOT hit it too hard I end up decelerating through the cue ball and may even give up ball in hand because nothing reaches a rail.

I'm still working on getting my stroke to be able to hit softly with good follow through and speed control.

Aaron_S

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In cases like this, I'm not going to go for an all-out safety when there is no true safety (meaning a hook that could result in BIH) to be had. A safety battle that begins with you leaving your opponent a full ball to hit is very likely to end in his favor, so I would instead look for a two way shot. These three shots offer a chance to win the game, and the first two also offer a chance to cover the easiest pocket for his 8-ball in the case of a miss. While the third one (low outside) doesn't offer a chance to cover his pocket, it does offer a slim chance of hooking or jacking him up with the 8-ball. I am probably taking shot number 2 - cutting at the ball with inside.

CueTable Help

Aaron

Last edited:

NewStroke

Screamin Monkey
Silver Member
Here's a dangerous attempt. Shoot the 8 into the 3 cheating the side pocket. Drop the 3 and leave the 8 ball against the rail near the pocket. If you play a stop shot and leave the 8 correctly, your opponent should have a tough shot on the 8. Just a thought.

NewStroke

Screamin Monkey
Silver Member
You could also miss the 3 leaving it on the rail but soft enought to leave the 8 on the rail turning the safety 90 back to him.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
1/2 ball hit, cb and ob should go same distance. Block the pocket, and dare him on the bank shot, or make him play safe and move his 3 from in front of the pocket.

CueTable Help

! hit the nail like allways^^ best and most simple choice in my opinion, too.

lg
Ingo

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a dangerous attempt. Shoot the 8 into the 3 cheating the side pocket. Drop the 3 and leave the 8 ball against the rail near the pocket. If you play a stop shot and leave the 8 correctly, your opponent should have a tough shot on the 8. Just a thought.

That was my first thought but I wanted someone else to post it first. Instead of stopping the cue ball I would roll forward a little to make the cross side reverse bank tougher.

smoooothstroke

JerLaw
Silver Member
Ditto

Id go for the cut too, upper right corner. Still have a chance to block that pocket if I miss, and also a chance of leaving him long and away from his side pocket(cue ball upper left pocket area).

What he said.Though the speed of the shot might not work for controlling the cue ball,I would bear down on making the 8 in the upper right corner.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Or> shooting the CB straight into the side rail with left english and hitting the 8 off the 9 into the opposite side.

TheThaiger

Banned
Bank the 8 cross side with a jump shot.

Looks like a low percentage shot to me. How about kicking it in, with the 8 flicking the 9 if you don't get enough English off the rail?

Or, how about the safety? If the angles there, soft draw with right english off the very edge of the 8, taking the CB into the 13 and potting the 12 as well, with the 9 running down to the bottom rail.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
bank the eight off rail then into the back side of the 9, make sure 8 lays on the 12 and you'll have em hooked. You might even kick bank the nine in the side, and then opponent has only one ball to kick at.

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These are always hard to judge looking at a screen. But it looks to me like you could just use right-english and some follow to crossover bank the 8 at pocket speed and get the cue to nudge the 9 out of the way. Bonus is that it could leave the 9 and 12 both along the rail on opposite sides of the pocket.

How about this situation...your opponent rattled the 13 ball and left you this on the 8 ball!

VnjOR.jpg

CueTable Help