9-ball dumped ..UPA now 10-ball boys

9BallBust-O

Draw that Rock
Silver Member
CUEBACCA -

GEEZ - thanks for letting me know. If Im gonna give someone props I should make sure I do it right!!! The change is up ...

Cuebacca

________
Silver Member
9BallBust-O said:
CUEBACCA -

GEEZ - thanks for letting me know. If Im gonna give someone props I should make sure I do it right!!! The change is up ...

My pleasure. :cool: :D

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Well I'm glad that the IPT will be on tv now, because the UPA is now presenting a game to the general public that is even less recognizable than 9 ball. At least 9 ball is featured in most of the pool movies.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Cameron Smith said:
Well I'm glad that the IPT will be on tv now, because the UPA is now presenting a game to the general public that is even less recognizable than 9 ball. At least 9 ball is featured in most of the pool movies.
I think the general public reconignizes 9 ball they just don't know how to play it right.

Along the lines of 10 ball, when people see it racked up on tv they are gonna have no idea what game it is until someone says its 10 ball.

Harvywallbanger

Josh Eisert
Silver Member
TheBook said:
How about playing 10 ball using a 15 ball rack? The other five balls would just be used for interference and tougher breaks.

:eek: You might be on to something here. How about 9-ball and the other six balls in the rack are red.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Nine ball with alternate break brings the cream to the crop in men's pool. At the 2006 BCA Open, the last three were Souquet, Reyes and Archer. At the 2005 BCA Open, the last three were Hohmann, Archer and Immonen. The rack is hardly randomizing the results at America's most international nine ball event.

Although, as a fan, I personally prefer ten ball because it places a greater emphasis on defense, kicking and two-way shots, I see this change to ten ball as largely inconsequential.

The change from nine ball to ten ball in the final year of the Camel Tour was largely inconsequential and went largely unnoticed by the fans and was hardly celebrated by the pros.

Joe T

Of course we would all love to win over the fans with some great game (and some would even agree to sell our souls for that) and I agree that 10 ball isn’t that game.
BUT there is one thing FOR SURE it will do, it is going to make some very important changes for us and to me the most important will be how our players get along with each other and how they represent us in public. There is not one single topic in our sport that causes more confrontations amongst our players than the racking issue of 9 ball. The game of 10 ball won’t demand we like and hug each other but it will decrease arguments between players which is a small but important step towards promoting our sport and our image. The bonus part is;
It will also help to improve our level of play.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Joe T said:
Of course we would all love to win over the fans with some great game (and some would even agree to sell our souls for that) and I agree that 10 ball isn’t that game.
BUT there is one thing FOR SURE it will do, it is going to make some very important changes for us and to me the most important will be how our players get along with each other and how they represent us in public. There is not one single topic in our sport that causes more confrontations amongst our players than the racking issue of 9 ball. The game of 10 ball won’t demand we like and hug each other but it will decrease arguments between players which is a small but important step towards promoting our sport and our image. The bonus part is;
It will also help to improve our level of play.

Tap, tap, tap. Nice post, Joe.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Icon of Sin said:
Along the lines of 10 ball, when people see it racked up on tv they are gonna have no idea what game it is until someone says its 10 ball.

But even when someone says it is 10 ball, they'll be even more confused. But I guess it is not a huge deal, if the person watching is familiar with 9 ball they will probably catch on that it is the same thing just with one more ball.

lewdo26

Registered User will do
Silver Member
Cameron Smith said:
But even when someone says it is 10 ball, they'll be even more confused. But I guess it is not a huge deal, if the person watching is familiar with 9 ball they will probably catch on that it is the same thing just with one more ball.
Cameron,
9 ball isn't reconizable anyways (not in the U.S. that is), so may as well play the more skillful game. I think the change to 10 ball is a positive step, and so is the IPT, which will bring the ONLY recognizable billiards game to TV, and efforts to revive straight pool. These are all changes in the right direction, IMO.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
lewdo26 said:
Cameron,
9 ball isn't reconizable anyways (not in the U.S. that is), so may as well play the more skillful game. I think the change to 10 ball is a positive step, and so is the IPT, which will bring the ONLY recognizable billiards game to TV, and efforts to revive straight pool. These are all changes in the right direction, IMO.

I know 9 ball isn't very recognizable, but it is a little more so than 10 ball because of movies like Pool Hall Junkies and the Colour of Money.

That being said I agree that 10 ball is the better game. If there is going to be a rotational game where only one ball counts for anything, it might as well be 10 ball.

I still think Rotation is a far better game than 9 ball or 10 ball. Whay aren't there any rotation tournaments in North America? Or do I just never hear about them?