9-Ball ghost challenge on my new Diamond 9 footer

Scott Brazier

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Beat the ghost today on my mew 9 foot Diamond table 8-1 in the 9-Ball ghost challenge ball in hand after break.

Payed on my new 9 foot Diamond table with pro cut pockets just like the tables in the US Open 9-Ball tournaments. This was the 2nd time playing on this table and it seems way, way too easy. Prior to that I played on my modified 10 foot Brunswick for 2 years and the most racks I've run out consecutively, withe ball in hand after the break, was 5 racks. Tonight I ran 8 out of 9 racks. It just doesn't seem right for this pro table to be that much easier than my 10 foot Brunswick. After my 8 out of 9 rack run I googled the playing surface of a 9 foot Diamond and it's 50x100 inches, spot on with my table. Was my 1p footer that much harder? Tim Tonjum told me that after the cloth breaks in the pockets will play tougher. I sure hope so because this is way too easy and now I'm regreating not ordering the table with smaller pockets. Anyway, time will tell. Here is the video of my 8 out of 9 rack run.

https://youtu.be/Ofvnv3fae4o

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Beat the ghost today on my mew 9 foot Diamond table 8-1 in the 9-Ball ghost challenge ball in hand after break.

Payed on my new 9 foot Diamond table with pro cut pockets just like the tables in the US Open 9-Ball tournaments. This was the 2nd time playing on this table and it seems way, way too easy. Prior to that I played on my modified 10 foot Brunswick for 2 years and the most racks I've run out consecutively, withe ball in hand after the break, was 5 racks. Tonight I ran 8 out of 9 racks. It just doesn't seem right for this pro table to be that much easier than my 10 foot Brunswick. After my 8 out of 9 rack run I googled the playing surface of a 9 foot Diamond and it's 50x100 inches, spot on with my table. Was my 1p footer that much harder? Tim Tonjum told me that after the cloth breaks in the pockets will play tougher. I sure hope so because this is way too easy and now I'm regreating not ordering the table with smaller pockets. Anyway, time will tell. Here is the video of my 8 out of 9 rack run.

You are a hell of a shot! Congrats on the new table. Your table may turn into areal beotch as the cloth matures, at your level of play it might not be a big deal. As your eyes age and your stroke falters the Diamond may play about right:D

All joking aside nice shooting and great table.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which is why 4.5" pockets on new cloth for Shane and these world beaters is a joke.

I will say my Diamond table played tougher after a good while.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I experienced the very same thing when I first got my diamond.

My table plays a little tougher with older cloth but, it's not enough to make a big difference.

Do what I do:

Play American Rotation.....AR has a way of making those pockets play smaller.

Also, play 10 ball like this:

Rack 10 ball, break, spot any ball made. Then, put the 11 ball at center of foot rail and the 12 ball at center of head rail. Take ball in hand (in kitchen) and play the ghost from there.:thumbup:

Like AR, it will make the 4.5" play a little tougher.

Jeff

Scott Brazier

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are a hell of a shot! Congrats on the new table. Your table may turn into areal beotch as the cloth matures, at your level of play it might not be a big deal. As your eyes age and your stroke falters the Diamond may play about right:D

All joking aside nice shooting and great table.

Thanks cuebuddy. I hope it turns soon so I don't want to take my shot making ability for granted.

Last edited:

Scott Brazier

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I experienced the very same thing when I first got my diamond.

My table plays a little tougher with older cloth but, it's not enough to make a big difference.

Do what I do:

Play American Rotation.....AR has a way of making those pockets play smaller.

Also, play 10 ball like this:

Rack 10 ball, break, spot any ball made. Then, put the 11 ball at center of foot rail and the 12 ball at center of head rail. Take ball in hand (in kitchen) and play the ghost from there.:thumbup:

Like AR, it will make the 4.5" play a little tougher.

Jeff

Jeff, I will give that a try. Sounds like a good challenge.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which is why 4.5" pockets on new cloth for Shane and these world beaters is a joke.

I will say my Diamond table played tougher after a good while.

4.5" + new cloth + new balls = an easy table for anyone that can make a ball.

Yeah, those conditions are easy but, even with those conditions, no ball in hand can make a big difference and END most runs after just a few racks.

+

The ghost is one thing but, lol....playing someone like Shane will make those pockets shrink EVERY TIME.

At least they do for me.

Those 4.5" pockets seem to player tougher when you got a beast waiting for you to slip-up and shoot a weak safe...:eek:

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeff, I will give that a try. Sounds like a good challenge.

Yep.

Not to brag but, as you are seeing, the 9 ball ghost just isn't any competition with BIH. It's fun but, to challenge yourself, you'll have to play AR or at least play 10 ball with extra balls on table.

BTW, (when I'm healthy) I sometimes get froggy and play the pro ghost at 10 ball.

I've only beat the pro 10 ball ghost a couple times out of hundreds of trys. BIH makes a huge difference at my house.

Without BIH, lol.....the 10 ball ghost is a beast.

Also, a wooden rack changes things up a bit on the break.

I look forward to watching you wear that table out.

I wished we lived close to each other.

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gonna see if I can put up a century run in the 14-1 challenge b4 the new year.

Heck yeah!!!

New felt and 4.5 pockets is the very best time to set a high run.

Do it before that rascally rabbit tightens up a little.

Good shooting sir..

Jeff

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Did they use the circle things for racking at US Open.
I didn't get a chance to watch, so I truly don't know.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

Nice shooting. Helps to make 2 or 3 balls every break too.

I'm curious about the slate depth (shelf) of the corner pockets. I've seen a lot of "pro cut" tables that have shorter pocket shelves than other diamonds. I've seen the 7ft diamond barboxes with the exact same deep corners as a good 9ft table, then go to another place and see a room of 7ft diamond barboxes with only 1 inch corner shelves, very easy to play. Not sure if there's a standard spec on that from Diamond.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
As many have said, give it a few months and it will start playing tougher when the cloth ages a bit.

If you want to make it tougher now, ditch the racking template (spots) and use a wooden rack. I guarantee you will have tougher outs.

Scott Brazier

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice shooting. Helps to make 2 or 3 balls every break too.

I'm curious about the slate depth (shelf) of the corner pockets. I've seen a lot of "pro cut" tables that have shorter pocket shelves than other diamonds. I've seen the 7ft diamond barboxes with the exact same deep corners as a good 9ft table, then go to another place and see a room of 7ft diamond barboxes with only 1 inch corner shelves, very easy to play. Not sure if there's a standard spec on that from Diamond.

The shelf depth on my table is 1.5 inches.

jeephawk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You mentioned Tim Tonjum. Did set up your new table?

I had him come and put new cloth on my old Anniversary last spring and move it over a bit/re-level.

Super nice guy, did a great job (he ran out a nice 8 ball rack just to see if it "worked", lol) and a super nice and little, furry traveling companion.

Nice vid, nice room.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As stated above, let the cloth get some time on it. Balls that go now will jaw-up and just sit on that shelf. Balls that go on ANY GC won't go on this table when cloth is broken in.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
The shelf depth on my table is 1.5 inches.

Ok. I believe standard Diamond shelf depth is 2.0" with 4 7/8" opening. The pro cut is 4.5" opening. So a 1.5" depth would play a little easier, but average when compared to any other table. Not real tough. It makes it so when you freeze a ball to the inside facing of the pocket, as deep as it'll go without dropping in, 40% of the ball (0.9") will be be sticking out if you sight straight down the cushion. The table probably isn't going to play a whole lot tougher, even after the cloth wears a bit and the balls quit sliding so much. A player of your caliber could handle it regardless of whether it plays tougher, so I doubt you'll find many balls hanging up in the pockets.

I have a 4X8 diamond with easy pockets. They are 4.5" but the shelf depth is only 1 inch. I wish they were 1.5 or even 1.75. My old 9ft Brunswick had 4 3/8" pockets, facing angle of about 145°, and shelf depth of 1.5". It played super tough, even compared to any diamond table I've played on. It was that 145° angle versus 140 or 141.

Anyhow I would love to have your table!! Very sweet setup, and nice room.

Last edited:

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Nice shooting!

I noticed the 9 moved a hair first rack break and then didn't move at all on the next 5 or 6 breaks. That's as much as I watched. Is that because of what you got on the table?

I find brand new cloth more difficult to play on, I like it much better after a few months. New cloth from my experience, will let you know right away if you're not hitting the CB dead center. I find any off hit on the CB, it will take that like English and swerve the ball. Experienced it many times. Seems it's much more forgiving after its worn a bit.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice shooting!

I noticed the 9 moved a hair first rack break and then didn't move at all on the next 5 or 6 breaks. That's as much as I watched. Is that because of what you got on the table?

I find brand new cloth more difficult to play on, I like it much better after a few months. New cloth from my experience, will let you know right away if you're not hitting the CB dead center. I find any off hit on the CB, it will take that like English and swerve the ball. Experienced it many times. Seems it's much more forgiving after its worn a bit.
The pockets play tighter on worn-in cloth. The facings don't grip when cloth is new.